How long will a Mirage Activa Mask and Headgear last.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SelfSeeker

How long will a Mirage Activa Mask and Headgear last.

Post by SelfSeeker » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:59 pm

How long will a Mirage Activa Mask and Headgear last?

After that do you just by the cushion or the whole set up? Will the head gear strech or break?

Which parts will wear first?

Other then a break, how would you know it is time to replace any part of the Mirage Activa Mask and Headgear last?

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:42 pm

Hi SelfSeeker,

You have asked some great questions and I too would like this information.

I started xPAP January 2005 and have used the same Activa mask without changes ever since. To date, it still seems to work fine but am starting to wonder if the headstraps are stretching a little. The cushion is not as pristine when new and parts are turning a little yellow. Not sure if thats due to the vinegar I use to clean it. I used to clean it weekly but but now am not so diligent, starting to think bacteria is good for you and they only want to bathe every 3 weeks or so. Don't tell anyone!

After following this forum for some time now, I originally got caught up in thinking I needed the latest model mask. And maybe I do need a new perspective but so far mine works fine. It ain't broke so why fix it?

My thinking is that on the Activa only the cushion may need to be replaced unless something breaks or the head straps stretch too much. I would be happy replacing the cushion as I really like the mask but would also like a different format to compare as well as have a backup.

Lets see what the cat drags in.

Bob F

unclebob

sleepyred

Post by sleepyred » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:08 am

I am using the same headgear since Oct, 2005. I got a new nasal piece from cpap.com over the summer and changed that out. (Kept my old one for a spare). I got a new headgear in Aug. and it never seemed to work like my other one (which is like your favorite worn shirt or something). But I have the new one just in case.

My DME won't sell me just the nasal piece which IMHO last about 3-4 months. But I do wash mine every night - and just dust off the headgear.

Sleepyred

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:23 am

I've been using mine since January of 2005 with a short stint (about 2 weeks) on a CL2. I've cleaned it probably twice in that time period. The headgear needs to be replaced as the lower strap has deteriorated next to the label and is about to break. The nasal interface is fine and does not appear to be in need of replacement. Back in May I was going to buy some spare parts and a replacement headgear and after adding up the cost, it was cheaper to just buy another complete mask. I haven't used the new back-up mask yet. You can buy parts from cpap.com and bypass your dme.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): cpap.com, DME