newbie...having hard time adjusting to this machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kgriffin

newbie...having hard time adjusting to this machine

Post by kgriffin » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:52 pm

I've had my remstar since April but have only used >200 hrs.
I keep waking up without the mask on
I have tried 3 different masks - and I think I've got that under control
My problem is that I keep waking up feeling like I can't exhale - so I hit the ramp button
Sat I did this 3 or 4 times before I woke up at 4am feeling like I was going to suffocate with the mask on - so I knowingly took it off and turn the machine off.
Most of the time - I take the mask off without knowing I have done so.
I don't know if my setting is too high or what.
Need advise....I really do want to make this work for me but it has been a big hassle so far!
Kathleen

SleepyGuy

Post by SleepyGuy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:03 pm

I'm also somewhat claustrophobic. This may be part of your problem. I prefer Resmed masks because the clips are easier to undo. Knowing I can remove the mask quickly helps my claustrophobia a lot.

Many people insist that a humidifier is essential. I don't use one because warm humid air makes me feel more claustrophobic. I'm fine without it. If I wake up with a dry throat, I just drink a little water.

Is your nose getting congested as you sleep? When you wake up, try breathing through each nostril. If both are not open and clear, you may not be getting enough air. That was a big problem for me. I had to go to a full face mask which helped considerably.

What is your pressure setting? If you read through this forum, you will find that AutoPAPs are very much preferred to straight CPAPs like yours. They will adjust to different conditions. You may need different pressures for different sleeping positions. They have readouts to tell you how you are doing.

I hope this helps.

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:06 am

Depending on why you need the CPAP, you might be mor4e comfortable with a BiPAP or AutoPAP. AutoPAP with C-flex will allow you a drop in ppressure in order to exhale more comfortably. A BiPAP can be set to a specific pressure for exhaling, but will not adjust to your breathing during the night like an AutoPAP will.

There are many posts here about the differences between the various machines. Hope you like to read!
- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
F&P HC105 heated Ambient Tracking Humdifier
F&P FlexiFit407 Nasal Mask/ Resmed Swift
"shapeable" pillow

momexp5

Post by momexp5 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:22 am

If you can't get an auto cpap machine - maybe your pressure needs to be higher? Do you have a prescription for ambien (or xanax or something) to get you over an initial period of sleep-resistance or anxiety? (Oh, but wait, this is a problem for you in the middle of the night, not when you're going to sleep, right?) Just throwing out some ideas, I'm not a doctor or anything, just another cpap newbie.
Last edited by momexp5 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eblack

Post by eblack » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:58 am

Several observations:

Six years ago when I first started CPAP, I experienced the same claustrophobia. It was suggested to me that when it happens (or all the time if I can) I should lie on my back. Supposedly this allows the physiology of the diaphram to assist in the exhalation part of the breathing cycle. It worked so well that I "trained" myself to sleep on my back.

In addition, I use a ResMed Activa mask, which by its very nature is SO loose, that it is difficult to feel claustophobic using it. It also has quick release connectors on the headgear.

My Press.=17cm/h2o

Hardly Breathing

Post by Hardly Breathing » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:12 pm

I was also claustophobic and could not sleep with a mask. I tried nasal pillows (Swift, Breeze). They helped me loose the feeling of claustrophobia. The mask makes a big difference!!

quest496

Post by quest496 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:07 pm

I'm a newbie as well, actually still in my first week. I don't know what my machine or mask is off hand because I am currently at work (that shows how tired I am, I can't concentrate on work while at work, so I decided to check out this forum.)

I've tried reading some of the previous posts but am especially out of it today, so think I need to take it slowly.

But my biggest problem right now is this idea that there is some level of "comfort" in these masks. The tech guy delivered my machine and asked if the pillows were comfortable. I sort of looked at him blankly and was thinking "Heck no, you try sticking plastic up your nose and see how comfortable it is." Will I ever get used to it? I am sure I will, but comfortable?

Anyway, I am so new to this that I don't even understand all of my options yet, how frequently my insurance will let me get a new mask and all that.

I have the mask from my test at the hospital, and the nasal pillows that came with the machine. The mask I end up waking up with every time I have an itch, which seems constant (I saw that thread and completely agree) and the pillows chafe my nostrils and I look like I have a cold.

It's just so frustrating and there is so much information out there. So far I don't feel like I am getting better sleep, I sleep about the same amount but actually wake up (knowingly) more than I did before. Before, I thought I was sleeping soundly and just not getting rested. My doc originally thought it might be hypersomnia because a year ago I had an apnea test and had very few occurences. This year it was 34/hour.

I'm glad I came upon this forum, I will undoubtedly utilize the support and offer it myself if I ever get to that point.

Thanks in advance.
frustrated in the lack of miracles.

eblack

Post by eblack » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:57 pm

Regarding the issue of "comfortable"... very often when I wake up in the morning, I find myself lying there wondering "Did my mask come off during the night?" and I realize that it is on and I am still breathing with it. I REALLY can't tell that it is on. (I wakeup/get up early enough that it is still dark, therefore I cannot see the mask.)

This has not always been the case. I have a carton full of various masks that did not work as well as the ResMed Activa that I now use. As I stated a few posts back, I have been doing this around 6 years, and I would guesstimate that it took between 1 and 2 years to reach my final comfort/tolerance level.

Even so, my position is that it was well worth the investment in time, money and sanity.

Eric

4Katie

Post by 4Katie » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:28 pm

quest, I can totally relate. This getting ajusted period is horrible. I always knew I didn't sleep well and was always tired, but now I'm very aware of exactly how poorly I sleep, and I'm frustrated on top of it.

Much of the reason I'm keeping on is the stories I've read on this board. Almost everyone goes through the same thing, and most report great success once they get the bugs worked out. That's what's keeping me going.

I'm also taking ownership of this problem - reading, posting, finding the solution to every problem I encounter.

Hang in there, and think of all the good you're doing for yourself!
One soft, sweet song's just enough to clear my head...

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:48 pm

Thanks so much for just saying that it takes time. I've been tired for fifteen years, and now that I had some test results that actually meant something I really want to wake up one morning and be done with it all, just truly awake for the first time. I know that' s not practical, but it is so hard to even take the time to read thru information abotu the mask.

So, here goes, I guess the idea of "one day at a time" can apply to a lot of things.

Thanks for the encouragement.

quest496

Post by quest496 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:51 pm

This guest was me, quest496.

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:02 pm

And don't forget about your bed pillow. Here's a thread about pillows. There are more.

viewtopic.php?t=2997&highlight=shapeable
- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
F&P HC105 heated Ambient Tracking Humdifier
F&P FlexiFit407 Nasal Mask/ Resmed Swift
"shapeable" pillow

jshema

getting used to CPAP/BiPAP

Post by jshema » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:54 pm

This will sound stupid, but I had the same problem and I got through it by witting up in chair and watching TV with the mask and CPAP on. I did this to get used to high pressure air being blown into my throat. I became acustomed very quickly doing this.

Just an idea.

susaninct

I am new also

Post by susaninct » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:31 am

I am new to the world of c-pap and bi-pap and various masks and trying to figure out what sleep study numbers mean. I mostly just want to introduce myself and give a little background so I can be part of this group and jump in questions and just let you know I am here and new too!!

I had a sleep study done in May that showed mild to moderate sleep apnea - I have no numbers yet!! The problem that was of most concern to my doctor was my low O2 level not explained by apneas. I spend 90% of my sleep with a O2 levels below 89% - that is the only real number I have so far. I have Post Polio Syndrome and the problem appears to be muscle weakness.

I was referred to a pulmonary doctor for function tests and exam. It showed muscular weakness on exhale - 50% of what is expected but good inhalation. ABG was O2 - 77 and CO2 44.

I began C-Pap a week ago this past Friday but has problems with exhaling and disturbed sleep and terrible heart burn all night. I was switched to b-pap this past Friday - settings 8/4.

I am having a hard time getting used to sleeping with the machine and the mask. I go to sleep fine but wake up and take the mask off in the middle of the night. It is the strangest thing because every morning I remember the same thing: In the night I wake up and have a very, very good reason to take the mask off and shut off the machine - but can never remember the reason in the morning!!

I have to go for another sleep study - another MSLT in late July. I will hae a titration done at that time.

I am so eager to feel better and a bit frustrated at how long it take to get to each new stage and most of all to feel better!! I know from reading that a lot of you have been at this a long time and I feel encouraged by reading that improvement comes.

Susan S.

elliejose

Post by elliejose » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:32 am

K, I know just what you mean. I have been on cpap since March, and am still smothering. I have only tried 1 mask (Swift) and I guess I have adjusted to it as much as can be expected. But I have tried 3 machines. Resmed S7, ResMed Spirit (auto), and now Remstar Plus/C-flex. I take Allegra, klonopin, Flonase and another prescription nose spray. Oh, yes and Ayr Gel for my dry nose with Remstar. And I still smother. Don't go back to the MD until the end of July. I kept hoping that this C-Flex would do the trick because I have a terrible time exhaling against the pressure (14). But so far we haven't hit the magic combination. Good luck to you. Hope you find a solution soon. Because it's no fun as is, is it?