What did we do to desrve thing?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LilBuckaroo

Post by LilBuckaroo » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:13 pm

Greetings all

To begin with, I have been “behind my mask” since Jan 03, 2005, and I am not going to quit! It has been very rare that I have not used my mask, etc. when I sleep.

My question is quite simple. What did we do, or did not do to deserve being required to strap pieces of hard plastic to our faces, or to cover our noses with hard plastic devices, or to insert devices into our noses, and attach these things to an air pump via a 6-foot long hose to keep our throats open while we sleep?

While it is true that I have had somewhat worse conditions in my life, this is in my past.
I am speaking only of the present.

Thank you for allowing me to vent my feelings.

Until later, stay safe, be nice, sleep well and keep on papin'

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:37 pm

Well, my answer is quite simple: I had polio. Had it bad enough to require an iron lung to get me through the worst of it.

See? Simple.
- JB
- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
F&P HC105 heated Ambient Tracking Humdifier
F&P FlexiFit407 Nasal Mask/ Resmed Swift
"shapeable" pillow

gailzee

Re: What did we do to desrve thing?

Post by gailzee » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:33 pm

I've got type 2 insulin diabetes, and as of last thurs. 2 new stents in my heart, that I frankly pushed my way to see why I had these symptoms.........hoping to prove myself wrong. But I'm a work in progress, and try not to let this stuff get me down, just strap on my apap and go to sleep (aided by Lunesta).

Ok to vent, that's what we're all for..........keep hosin' [quote="Tenpin"]Greetings all

To begin with, I have been “behind my mask” since Jan 03, 2005, and I am not going to quit! It has been very rare that I have not used my mask, etc. when I sleep.

My question is quite simple. What did we do, or did not do to deserve being required to strap pieces of hard plastic to our faces, or to cover our noses with hard plastic devices, or to insert devices into our noses, and attach these things to an air pump via a 6-foot long hose to keep our throats open while we sleep?

While it is true that I have had somewhat worse conditions in my life, this is in my past.
I am speaking only of the present.

Thank you for allowing me to vent my feelings.

stetsongirl

Post by stetsongirl » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Well, I have Type II Diabetes, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, don't exercise, I break into a panic attack at the mere thought of it. I know I should, but by the time I leave the house for work at 7:00 AM and get home at 6:30 PM to fix dinner and do laundry, exercising is just too much to ask. Especially be getting my CPAP. (coming up on 3 weeks)

If something comes to life in others because of you, then you have made an approach to immortality.
Norman Cousins

neversleeps

Re: What did we do to desrve thing?

Post by neversleeps » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:23 pm

Tenpin wrote:Greetings all

Ahhhh, the age-old question for which there is no answer. I think every person who ever lived since the beginning of time has thought, at one time or another, "WHY ME??"

What did a 10-yr-old boy do (or not do) to deserve leukemia? What did his mother do (or not do) to deserve being laid off after 17 years? What did they do (or not do) to deserve to be teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and losing their home? More importantly than all that, what are they going to do now?

Questions for which there are no answers.

qrlylox

Post by qrlylox » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:45 pm

One thing I love about this Msg board is that everyone feels free to share, offer advice and to vent. Tenpin, thanks for venting about this, because after reading it I thought about it all day and really dug deep for an answer!

Perhaps it's how we look at the situation. I send up a prayer of thanks every night when I put my mask on - to the scientists, doctors and engineers who recognized this problem and acted on developing this life saving solution.
Thanks also that we live in a country with a medical system that allows us to afford the luxury of not having to wake up choking (or not wake up at all).

I'm in no way trying to minimize the frustration we all feel having to strap on these contraptions and go through the leaks and face marks and sore noses, and the expense, or the embarrassment that some of us feel having our partners see us like this. But maybe looking at it as our life giving friend instead of the enemy, will help!

SleepyGuy

Post by SleepyGuy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:45 pm

If you're asking why God or fate decided to do this to us, I have no answer. Why did they decide to give my seven year old niece leukemia?

If you want to rephrase this and ask what the causes are, there are several answers. Sometimes it starts with weight gain. Others are not overweight and yet they still have it.

My doc says my throat size is 30% of normal and I probably had this all my life. Weight gain and just plain aging in the last ten years has made it worse. My grandfather had chronic fatigue in the last years of his life before dying of a stroke at age 59. Judging from these facts, the odds that he had sleep apnea are fairly high.

I was in a major flip-over car accident twenty years ago that has reduced the curvature of my neck. Several chiropractors looked at my neck and without my even telling them, knew I had been in such an accident. I'm curious to know if others have had such a neck injury.

I try not to complain. I try to be grateful that I finally have an answer. When I look at how courageous and uncomplaining my now 14 year old niece has been through her leukemia, I feel pretty bad if I complain.

snamvar

Post by snamvar » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:59 pm

The glass is half-full, not half-empty. I thank god for having been correctly diagnosed with OSA and doing what I need to feel better.
I don't do mornings !!!

snork1

versus

Post by snork1 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:47 pm

Musta been my mis-spent youth.....
Or genes...
Just did an 18 mile high elevation hike with 4000 feet of climbing, 6900feet descent 2 weeks ago. Don't think its an excercise thing for me.

Just did a followup up with my ENT today. 6 months since nose surgery that did wonders for improving CPAP. We went down the list of "whats next?". Thanks to a whole pile of genetic issues, and not being able to take a year off of work for MMA after tonsilectomy and UPPP, and pillars would NOT help me, even the ENT that could make a fortune off of me suggests staying with CPAP...sigh..... The ENT didn't think all the dieting in the world would make a difference either.

BUT, at least we were born when SOME options are available, no matter how crude they are. I am certainly keeping an eye and ear open for when there WILL finally be a breakthrough for ME.

What did I do? I suppose I was born.
Probably better than the alternative though......

Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

CandyADiva

Post by CandyADiva » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:28 am

Well I didn't do anything to have OSA. it just happen and i have to deal with it just like i deal with my other health issue. I'm just glad to be here at all and i ahve help now so I'm all good. Dont complain because it could have been worst.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:25 am

Before I was born, two people fell in love and had three children. The father was later diagnosed with OSA. He passed that on to his son, me. So I guess we did nothing to deserve this.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:09 pm

Nothing just born I guess.

frostman

Post by frostman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:48 am

Great question. Some have more serious conditions then I do, I just got to fat I believe. In fact I bet if I lost 50 lbs and was running three a day like I used to I wouldn't need to be a hosehead, but that’s easier said then done. I tend to want to look on the bright side and am thankful for the technology to find these issues for us. I think it will help my quality of life, man have I had some good nights sleep using it
Play Golf - Enjoy Life
Drink a Lttle Wine
Don't Worry about Tomorrow

gotnothing?

Post by gotnothing? » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:01 pm

Apparently, it's all genetics for me. I'm a physically fit 25-year-old with no other health problems (knocking-on-wood). I have no alternatives but to spend the next (hopefully) 50 years(!) sleeping with an uncomfortable (no matter what shape), noisy (no matter how quiet), possibly spouse-strangling, extremely expensive machine strapped to my face. This prospect, however enticing, is not making my days brighter!

meister

Sounds like some of your had premarital sex

Post by meister » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:42 pm

That usually does it!