Cleaning a Resmed Autoset Spirit

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyGuy

Cleaning a Resmed Autoset Spirit

Post by SleepyGuy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:34 pm

I slept for a few days in a house that had a weird smell. After getting home I realized that my CPAP, a Resmed Autoset Spirit now has that smell all the time! I changed filters but it didn't help. The odor is in the machine! Is there anything I can do to clean it? I don't want to toss out a machine that's going to cost $600 or $700 to replace. Besides, I'll probably need a new prescription and that will take time.

Resmed Autoset Spirit. No humidifier. Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Setting: 4.0cm - 10.0cm

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:32 pm

I can't offer any solution.

I had in my collection an older PB318 that clearly had a fire smell in it. I stripped it to bits & scrubbed & washed each part & left the bits in the sun for a few hours & then reassembled it.

Smelled just as bad after as before.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:51 pm

Just a though here.....perhaps some sort of mold has settled inside the air chamber of your Spirit? Could be that the house smell might be linked to some form of mold? Good Luck!

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:54 pm

BUT if you can't clean it, your prescription should be good at CPAP.com. If the machine isn't over 5 years old you probably can't get insurance to pay (but you can always try) but you can buy new with the same prescription provided you have it from the Dr.

cpapjack

Re: Cleaning a Resmed Autoset Spirit

Post by cpapjack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:40 am

SleepyGuy wrote:Besides, I'll probably need a new prescription and that will take time.
I know this isn't the answer to your problem, but an xPAP prescription is good for life. Make sure you have either thr original or at least a copy of it in case you do ever need it.