Nasal Crusting after turbinate reduction

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kenv

Nasal Crusting after turbinate reduction

Post by Kenv » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Has anyone had this problem after a turbinate reduction and if so how bad is it to live with? I was recommended to have turbinate reduction but I'm put off by the possible problems such as crusting which can occur.

Jere

Re: Nasal Crusting after turbinate reduction

Post by Jere » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:01 pm

I have had turbinate reduction surgery twice (as well as deviated septum corrected). Don't let the crust issue keep you from having the procedure. It is completely controllable by rinsing you nasal cavity with saline solution. The saline rinse will loosen up the crusts and flush them out. In any event, The crusts will begin to disappear soon after surgery (a few weeks?).

There are several rinsing methods. I use a Waterpick with a nasal attachment. Others use a neti pot. In a pinch, you can just sniff the saline out of your palm. Ask your ENT - he or she will have suggestions.

Good luck!
"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:31 pm

You mean dry-nose syndrome?

Not saying that can't happen but the risk of it happening is greatly reduced with today's surgery techniques. They now use lasers for surgery which allows them to avoid vital blood vessels and be more precise in what they remove. Since the laser cauterizes the wound there is less bleeding and swelling afterward.

Gone are the days of them chiseling off your nose removing it and grinding away on it with the dremel, now if you want those bumps removed on your nose they cut the skin from the outside to do it.

If you have concerns about that, just make sure your ENT that does the surgery is experienced and uses the latest techniques for your case. While there is some discomfort post-surgery it is well worth it when you can breathe through your nose again. Growths in your nasal and sinus passages are common, they usually become worse when you lay down at night as the edema from that positional change can cause tissues to swell. The turbinates act like a radiator in your car to condition the air before it enters the lungs, when the space between the turbinates is too close or their is too much tissue when they swell they close off air flow and you are congested.

Anything you spray into your nose no matter what is just a short-term solution. That same congestion can change your voice where you sound nasally when you talk and it can impact your daytime breathing as well. When you breathe through your mouth you loose all that filtering and conditioning of the air before it reaches your lungs which has to handle all those pollutants and allergens. When you think about it your lungs are pretty fragile, it is not like you can grow another one.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Kenv

Post by Kenv » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks for that Snoredog. I have been reasonably happy until very recently when I started getting a lot of heavy mucous which added to swollen turbinates is causing problems, I have become sensitised to nasal sprays so I have to manage without them. Added to this the mucous is causing blockages in the eustachian tubes and sending me deaf and I wondered if having the turbinates reduced might help with this problem. I'm seeing me ENT guy in 10 days time - I'll talk it over with him.
Thanks again.