How many hours on average do you get every night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DeannaPap

How many hours on average do you get every night?

Post by DeannaPap » Wed May 17, 2017 6:14 am

How many hours on average do you get every night With your cpap? I get about 4-5 but have the mask on about 6 hours. A lot of times I'll wake up in the middle of the night with the mask off and machine off.

Hannibal 2

Re: How many hours on average do you get every night?

Post by Hannibal 2 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:23 am

My target is 7 hours +, as this is where I notice a big difference in terms of feeling refreshed and alert, work days I fall just short of 7.

Are you new and still adjusting to CPAP? It can take a little while for many, if not, what issues are you having​?

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed May 17, 2017 6:46 am

I find I get about 6 hours of sleep on weekdays. This is just sleep. I never sleep with out my PAP. On weekends I usually sleep in and get up when I wake up naturally. I find this averages about 8 hours or so. I think for me sleep in general is a hard state to get to during the week day. I'm fairly sure I have delayed sleep onset syndrome. Or a very hard circadian rythem as my sleep doc told me.

I wonder how many of us have other non pap related sleep issues due to all the years of untreated apnea making us fear sleep at some deep level. I'm like a kid avoiding a bathtub but once I'm in it it's hard to get me to leave.

I know over the years since I've been treating my apnea my worry about sleep and the negative feelings associated with sleep have resolved. I wonder though if deep down I still have a negative association with the process of sleep and if it could be part of what gets me feeling hyper before it's time for bed.

So to answer the question I find I get 6 or less during the week day but 8 or more on weekends.

Take care all.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 am

According to my SleepyHead software statistics it looks like long term I am averaging not quite 7 1/2 hours.
Past year 7.34 hours
past 6 months 7.44 hours
past 30 days 7.41 hours
past 7 days 7.47
last night 7.34
It's pretty safe to say that I don't spend much of those 7 plus hours awake with the machine on. Sleep is fairly quick for me and I don't spend much time awake in the morning with the mask on either. So I am getting pretty much a little over 7 hours of sleep.
Now I do notice that with less than 7 hours my butt starts to drag a bit in the late afternoon and the shorter the hours the more it drags and if I get less than 6 1/2 hours I can pretty much count on a strong need to take a nap (which I might or might not end up taking). If I get less than 6 hours...it's a pretty crappy day for the most part...not much energy and a strong need to nap.

I actually feel probably the best at around 8 hours of sleep but while I do get it sometimes it isn't something that I get often enough but life sometimes doesn't let you sleep as long as you might want. Any number of things can mess up those hours.
I am retired so I don't have to have a set time for anything.

I did see a question of yours in another thread and I brought it over to your thread to answer it. I copied it below.
I wanted to address the portion I highlighted in red. I think you are thinking that the air blows open a closed up airway by force and that's not what happens with cpap pressure therapy. The whole idea is for the machine to maintain a pressure that holds the airway open in the first place...not blow the doors open should they close. In fact these machines even in auto adjusting mode won't increase the pressure at all if an actual obstructive apnea or hyponea is happening..the machine waits until the airway opens back up and then does some calculations (per whatever algorithm it might use) and decides on the best course of action to better prevent that airway from closing up again in the future.
So even if using an auto adjusting pressure...the machine won't increase the pressure when faced with a real time airway tissue blockage...it waits and decides on a better plan of attack.
And if not using auto adjusting pressures and only using fixed pressure and the apnea event happens...the machine can't do a thing one way or the other because it can't do anything but fixed pressures.

The cpap pressure doesn't force anything open once it is closed or partially closed. It's really not that forceful anyway...heck the max pressure (on most machines) is 20 cm and that 20 cm won't even blow up a balloon. It's not nearly a forceful as what people might think. The cpap pressure just tries to hold the airway open...stent it open...so that the airway tissues don't collapse. Sometimes it works out well and sometimes it doesn't for any number of reasons.

Now as to nasal congestion....it's not going to have any impact on fixed pressure settings because the machine doesn't do anything or any figuring of any attack plan....it puts out X amount of pressure all night no matter what is or isn't going on.
But when in auto adjusting pressure mode (apap) it might impact the machines sensors if the nasal congestion is high and there's a considerable air movement reduction. The impact is going to depend on just how bad the congestion is and really needs to be discussed on a case by case basis.
If nasal congestion is very high then the person may supplement the air movement with mouth breathing and that brings in a whole new can of worms in terms of maintaining the needed pressure to hold the airway open if they aren't using a mask that includes the mouth.

So...these machines don't force anything despite it feeling briefly that the machine is blowing hurricane force winds up our noses.
They don't blow the airway open if it has collapsed and they don't force you to breathe and they don't force anything down your lungs.
Postby DeannaPap on Wed May 17, 2017 7:10 am
Is it possible to be really stuffy and the machine reads the preassure right but the air isn't going into throat? Or can the machine tell the difference? Often times I feel stuffy and wonder if the air is actually forcing through enough to actually keep my throat open and not just pushing against the blockage

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 am

Average 6.3 to 6.7 hrs

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Wed May 17, 2017 9:37 am

My average for the last 90 days is 6.2 hours, and I sleep well. I have never made a practice of "long sleeping" and the sleep period satisfies me.. Since I have retired I have shifted my timing because I don't have to get up early to go to work. Now I go to bed late(about 1:30 AM) and get up when I spontaneously wake up about 8:30 AM.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am

7.9 hours seems to be the average. Always seems less to me but that's what sleepyhead says, so I am sticking with the - 8 hours more or less.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 pm

5 to 6 been having trouble going to sleep, three hours awake thinking, worrying, getting better again sleeping sounder 7 hours. Jim

Still falling asleep after dunner watching t.v., think it's because of large dose of insulin with dinner, no cure for med's reactions. It passes after a hour, then i'm ready to go until 3 a.m.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:46 pm

My 3 month average is 6.4 hours.

From what I read, we need 7 to 8 hours to feel truly rested.

But I don't seem to need that much. I have a lot of energy, and feel very well.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 am

Thanks Pugsy for prompting me to look at my overall stats. There is some interesting information there. My average hours per night are 7 hrs 43 minutes which is quite good I suppose. If I didn't have to wake to my alarm clock to go to work they would definitely be higher.

cands

Post by cands » Thu May 18, 2017 6:01 am

6 month average 8 hours, 46 minutes.
30 Day average 8 hours, 45 minutes.

I'm making up for years of bad sleep.

Immediately before starting CPAP I was sleeping close to 11 hours a day.

Last edited by cands on Thu May 18, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 18, 2017 2:42 pm

One week: 8.0
One month: 8.6
3 months: 8.4
6 months: 8.4
One year: 8.3
I have to try harder if I want to beat the cat.