Smoking interfering with CPAP therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User1196

Smoking interfering with CPAP therapy

Post by User1196 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Hey everyone, my partner suffers from sleep apnea and I have one major concern. He has never even been a smoker, but has recently taken it up due to new antidepressants and the stress of his old job and starting a new job.

I've noticed that he has actually started to snore even while wearing his mask, or he will now sleep with his mouth wide open. Could this be from smoking? I've noticed since taking it up he always sounds like he has trouble breathing through his nose.

He started with two a night and now he's smoking up to six+ a night. Because he's started smoking more, he decided to turn up the pressure of his machine. But this has just made his open mouth breathing worse. Has anyone here had to quit smoking due to CPAP or has smoking effected it in some way? Thanks in advance

Goofproof

Re: Smoking interfering with CPAP therapy

Post by Goofproof » Fri May 12, 2017 3:20 pm

The majority of people being treated for mental problems smoke, I would call smoking a symptom not a cure.

You can't breath in your sleep, so his solution it to start smoking, how sad it that.
however your title for the thread gave me a chuckle, I had visions of him breaking his cigs in half so they would fit inside a Full Face Mask.

He needs to STOP SMOKING, use a Full Face Mask, and use a program to monitor his data on his XPAP, if it collects full data. Then he can see if his treatment is correct. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 12, 2017 3:20 pm

I sympathize with you, but I never smoked, and my husband stopped on Good Friday, 1972.
My father smoked , and it contributed to his death at 50.
My eldest son smokes, and it caused his STROKE--at 46.
Smoking is very hard to quit, but quitting is the ONLY solution.
Have him give you medical power of attorney, for the inevitable.
I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri May 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi User... as you already know, smoking isn't healthy for anyone under any circumstances. That said, please tell us the machine he is using as well as the mask. Did he have a fairly recent sleep study? Results of the sleep study would be helpful. What pressure(s) is he using now/ Other than people telling you that he shouldn't be smoking, it's difficult to help you unless you provide us with more information.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri May 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Goofproof wrote:The majority of people being treated for mental problems smoke,...
Nonsense
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri May 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Goofproof wrote:The majority of people being treated for mental problems smoke,...
Nonsense
Glad to hear you haven't been around people with that problem, yet! I however have fortunely, second hand. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Post by Guest » Fri May 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Lucyhere wrote:Hi User... as you already know, smoking isn't healthy for anyone under any circumstances. That said, please tell us the machine he is using as well as the mask. Did he have a fairly recent sleep study? Results of the sleep study would be helpful. What pressure(s) is he using now/ Other than people telling you that he shouldn't be smoking, it's difficult to help you unless you provide us with more information.
He has a sleep study only 9 months ago and started CPAP straight after as he stopped breathing 98 times per hour. ResMed AirFit P10 nasal mask and AirSense 10 Elite machine. I'm not sure what the pressure setting is, but I will have a look after as he is currently using it (I'm in Australia and it is currently 7am) It's definitely a high setting, sounds like a hurricane!

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Fri May 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Odd in that two or three different anti-depressants are used to help people quit smoking. Nicotine causes dopamine release in the brain, and so any antidepressant that works to inhibit dopamine uptake help to mitigate the effect of smoking. As far as the OP, I could easily see how smoking could have a negative impact on obstructive apnea as it causes asthma type symptoms, and irritation/swelling to the airways.

It took me 30 years to quite smoking, I had SA before I started, and after I quit, but I do sleep better and have much freer breathing since I quit some 8 years ago.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 pm

The fact that he just recently started smoking is curious. Any chance he's on any dopamine meds, like for Parkinson's?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 12, 2017 5:05 pm

It DOES sound a bit fishy.
Whoever gave him this "advice" ought to be marched out behind the oldest outbuilding,
tied up with barbed wire, and left for the scavengers to clean off.

rohdej

Post by rohdej » Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm

As an outside the home smoker. I'm imagining a a literal translation of the thread title. Ashes blowing off the cigarette hanging of my mouth burning up my bedroom.

I don't recommend doing them at the same time. But i have heard rumors of attaching a gravity bong to a CPAP O2 adapter using alternative medicine for a very relaxing slumber.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 12, 2017 11:47 pm

rohdej wrote: But i have heard rumors of attaching a gravity bong to a CPAP O2 adapter using alternative medicine for a very relaxing slumber.
hows that going to work, since there's a positive pressure at the 02 adapter?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sat May 13, 2017 9:17 am

User1196 wrote: Has anyone here had to quit smoking due to CPAP or has smoking effected it in some way? Thanks in advance
Do you really need to ask if smoking negatively effects your lung function and everything else relating to your body?

If he just recently started smoking, get on his arse militantly before it becomes a long-term habit. Unless one day you want to wake up next to a corpse.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 am

palerider wrote:
rohdej wrote: But i have heard rumors of attaching a gravity bong to a CPAP O2 adapter using alternative medicine for a very relaxing slumber.
Probably why they are stoner rumors, rather than actual facts.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat May 13, 2017 12:09 pm

palerider wrote:
He's been sucking on his bong to long and too hard! Jim