Mask not working out, or just need more time to adjust?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
y08hci0299

Mask not working out, or just need more time to adjust?

Post by y08hci0299 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Is my mask just not working for me, or do I just need more time to get used to it? So, I have the mirage quattro full face mask and the airfit p10 nasal pillows, and I have been on cpap for the past 3 weeks. I literally have not managed to get a full night's sleep on either one. Either I manage to fall asleep and wake up 1 to 2 hours later and take it off, or I lay in bed for an hour and can't even fall asleep. Should I just find new masks or give it more time? How long will it take for me to get used to cpap, if ever?

Wulfman...

Re: Mask not working out, or just need more time to adjust?

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:05 pm

y08hci0299 wrote:Is my mask just not working for me, or do I just need more time to get used to it? So, I have the mirage quattro full face mask and the airfit p10 nasal pillows, and I have been on cpap for the past 3 weeks. I literally have not managed to get a full night's sleep on either one. Either I manage to fall asleep and wake up 1 to 2 hours later and take it off, or I lay in bed for an hour and can't even fall asleep. Should I just find new masks or give it more time? How long will it take for me to get used to cpap, if ever?
The main reasons masks don't work.....

Improperly adjusted.

Wrong size.

Wrong mask.

The mask I started with (in my profile) is the one that has worked out best for me.
I did quite a bit of research and measuring before selecting it. I wanted to make sure I had the correct size.
I tried a few others in subsequent years.......some for a few nights to a few months.
I always came back to my first selection.

Identify the problem and try to solve it.

Have you tried to use it while you're watching TV and awake (before going to bed)?
That's one of the things we've recommended to try to get used to the masks and trying to identify any problems.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:11 pm

If you need a full face mask like the Quattro, be sure that you are fitting it properly. Check this web site before you give up......
https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/tamin ... e-quattro/

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm

y08hci0299 wrote:Is my mask just not working for me, or do I just need more time to get used to it? So, I have the mirage quattro full face mask and the airfit p10 nasal pillows, and I have been on cpap for the past 3 weeks. I literally have not managed to get a full night's sleep on either one.
Well until you start sleeping all night, every night with the mask on, the CPAP therapy won't make much of a difference.

Of course the problem is figuring out how to increase the amount of time you're actually using the mask.

You write:
Either I manage to fall asleep and wake up 1 to 2 hours later and take it off, or I lay in bed for an hour and can't even fall asleep.
When you wake up 1-2 hours after falling asleep with the mask, why are you taking it off? Do you consciously do this and remember doing it? Or do you wake up several hours later with the mask off and no memory of taking it off?

Your answer is critically important: If you are consciously taking the mask off, then you are "rewarding" yourself for sleeping 1-2 hours with the CPAP by taking the mask off. That's actually counterproductive. You need to try to get to the point where you never consciously take the mask off and go back to sleep without it on your nose.

As for lying in bed for an hour, not falling asleep, and then taking the mask off to go to sleep, the fix is pretty straightforward, but does require some self-discipline. If you are not feeling sleepy after what feels like 20-30 minutes after going to bed with the mask on, it's time to take the mask off, get out of bed and go into a different room. Do something fun or relaxing for a while. Do a crossword. Listen to some music. (But try to avoid web browsing or watching TV due to the blue light issue.) Once you start to feel sleepy (as opposed to tired), go back to bed, put the mask back on and try once again to go to sleep.
Should I just find new masks or give it more time?
Unless you are having specific mask related issues, swapping the masks may not do much for you. But sometimes swapping the mask out may help. You can figure out if trying a new mask is worth while by writing a list of everything that really bugs you about the two masks you are using. Also make sure you know how to properly adjust both masks---and make sure you take the time to properly adjust the masks. Finally if your machine records leak data, look at the leaks. If you always have serious leak issues with the nasal pillows mask, that may mean you really do need to use a full face mask. But if your leaks are ok with the nasal pillows mask and you like the way it feels better than the full face mask, then you probably don't need a full face mask and it's ok to just abandon trying to make it work.

How long will it take for me to get used to cpap, if ever?
If you consciously allow yourself to take the mask off and then go to sleep without the mask on, you may never "get used to CPAP". In order to get used to it, you have to use it. And that means never giving yourself a "reward" of taking the mask off because you slept for 1-2 hours with it on. And it means figuring out a way of dealing with the CPAP-induced insomnia that doesn't involve giving up at the beginning of the night when you have had trouble falling asleep with the mask on your face.

CarpeNoctum

Post by CarpeNoctum » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:36 pm

y08hci0299,
It took me almost a year before the process became routine. I changed from nasal to full face mask and learned to adjust it properly. Using fabric pads helped with leaks since it absorbs skin oils. I just cut my own using worn Tee shirt fabric. I use two layers.

The biggest jump in improvement was when I started using a small diphenhydramine dose (25mg...generic Benadryl) along with a small Melatonin dosage. I cut 6mg tabs in half and just use 3mg. I try and wait till I'm tired, take the medication, mask up and listen to a talking book till I fall asleep (usually within 30 minutes). All that plus limiting evening fluids so I don't need to get up to pee allows me to sleep through the night.
CN

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:16 am

y08hci0299 wrote:Should I just find new masks or give it more time? How long will it take for me to get used to cpap, if ever?
Let us try to help you.

First - You have started six threads. All of them revolve around the same problems. Someone trying to help you would have to pick out small pieces of information from all six threads. Please quit posting in the other five threads and stick to this one. Posting in only this thread will help the forum experts get a total picture of what is happening with your therapy.

Second - Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info This will help us understand the capabilities of your equipment. Since you are trying to use two different masks, you can put this information in your signature block - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... =signature Now, anytime you post, members can see at the bottom of each post what equipment you are using.

Third - Are you tracking your data? Meaning, do you know your AHI and leak level?

Please don't worry about how long it took others to adapt to using CPAP. Let's take a comprehensive look at how your therapy is working. I hope to hear back from you soon.