Newbie Intro

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robpiercey

Newbie Intro

Post by robpiercey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:08 am

Hi Everyone. I'm Rob.
I'm new to the CPAP machine but not to hypopneas. Finally got a machine last week, but like most of you, I've needed one for years. My wife was telling me about it fifteen years ago.
So I joined here yesterday and creeped around for ideas. Got some great ideas for hose hanging and came up with my own little setup last night. C-clamped a wire tie to the headboard.
Anyway, I've only been using for 5 days and I'm wondering about a few things. The first two nights I slept well, about 7 hours each night. According to the myAir app my events went way down, too.
The last 3 nights have been a different story. I developed a blood blister under my nose from the nasal pillows, so that is sore when I wear them. Is that pretty normal?
Also, I seem to want to breathe from my mouth more than my nose, so I'm uncomfortable and I'm wondering if I should switch to a full face mask. It's really difficult to fall asleep, I'm thinking too much about trying to breathe regularly, I'm breathing heavy, my heart is racing and I can't seem to calm down.

Is that all fairly common newbie stuff?
Thanks.

Julie

Re: Newbie Intro

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:24 am

What are your pressure settings? And what machine are you using - full name, model, etc?

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:32 am

The blister is caused by your mask moving - prob with each breath all nite long it is rubbing the skin. Use some Lansinoh (found wherever they sell baby bottles) - it is pure lanolin. Place a dab on each nare and on the mask/pillow surface area. It reduces the friction caused by movement and also helps provide a seal.

robpiercey

Post by robpiercey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 am

Sorry, I thought I had it all in my signature. I must not have saved.

Should be part of my signature now. Pressure is set to 7, I believe.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:57 am

What size pillows are you using? The larger you can use, the more stable it should be.

robpiercey

Post by robpiercey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:06 am

Lansinoh, Thanks. The Tech at the study had me put some cream on, but didn't say what it was.

So the pillows are actually different sizes? Hard to tell. I thought it might be the hole size in the pillow. Duh.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 am

robpiercey wrote:So the pillows are actually different sizes? Hard to tell. I thought it might be the hole size in the pillow. Duh.
Yes you should get 3 or more sizes with most masks. If you aren't getting them all its time to find another supplier.

For nasal pillows always start with the largest size first and work your way down until they either leak or slip inside the nostril. The outer edge of the pillow should seal against the nare and not slip inside the nostril, if it does it is too small. Often when too small you won't get enuff air thru the small opening so another clue the size maybe wrong.

robpiercey

Post by robpiercey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:14 am

Okay. I got three sizes. I'll put the larges on and see if it helps.
Thanks for the responses.

Can anybody relate to the part about not being able to relax and breathe normally?
I'm hoping that's totally newbie stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 am

robpiercey wrote:Can anybody relate to the part about not being able to relax and breathe normally?
I have an idea but I need some information from you.

What are your pressure settings? Are you using the ramp? and what size nasal pillow were you using?

If you don't know your settings or if ramp is turned on the manual will explain how to find out.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robpiercey

Post by robpiercey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 am

My pressure is set to 7. Yes, ramp is set for 20 miutes. I've been using medium size pillows on a P10. Planning on trying the large pillows tonight to see if that helps relieve the blood blisters.

Thanks for the responses.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 am

Have you tried not using the ramp at all, or only setting it for e.g. 5 mins? Taking 20 mins (of less than full pressure) is depriving you of being able to breathe comfortably - 7 is quite a low pressure vs e.g. 15 - and I doubt that you really need all that time to adjust (given that 4 is the default low of the machine to begin with). Most of us stop using ramp at all after a few days or weeks at most.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 am

Try just turning the ramp off. It's fairly common for people to feel like they can't move enough air comfortably at that low of a pressure especially with a nasal pillow mask where the volume in the mask is relatively small.
A starting pressure of 7 is relatively low and you probably will be able to handle it without ramp. If you can't we can change that 4 cm ramp start to something else that is more comfortable for you.

Sometimes just going up a size in the nasal pillow will help that suffocation feeling at low pressures too. So between turning the ramp off and going up to the large size nasal pillow things should be a lot more comfortable for you.

Now about the blisters...no mask should ever cause a blister and if it does then it is either the wrong size or fitted incorrectly or simply the wrong mask for a person. The most common error that people make is the fitting area and they tend to crank down these masks too tight.
The nasal pillows will seal with just a very gentle tension from the straps. If you put your mask on and look in the mirror and the first thought through your mind is "I look like I have piggy nose" then the straps are too tight.
Watch the fitting videos available for your mask and see if you are doing something wrong.
cpap.com has a good one if you haven't seen it
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html
You may have to click on "see more images" on the left under the head to see the video choices.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robpiercey

Post by robpiercey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:56 am

Well, this is some great feedback. Thanks everyone.
I'm really excited to see if this machine will help me.