insomnia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
miss snickers

insomnia

Post by miss snickers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:00 pm

anyone have luck with melatonin. have horrible insomnia with mask on cannot fall asleep

ChicagoGranny

Re: insomnia

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

miss snickers wrote:melatonin
I always advise against melatonin. Make sure to read this - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115825&p=1124893#p1124893

miss snickers wrote:have horrible insomnia with mask on cannot fall asleep
Here is a checklist to review and start working on the items where you fall short:
- Practice good sleep hygiene (Google it and read several sources)
- Eat a good diet
- Have a regular, moderate exercise program
- Try to avoid daytime naps
- Practice total abstinence of caffeine including sources like chocolate (sigh)
- Review all medicines, vitamins and supplements you are taking to make sure none are interfering with sleep
- Use the bedroom for sleeping (and sex) only, and make sure the bedroom and bed are comfortable.
- Learn to appropriately handle emotional stress in your life
- Do not listen to your breathing or the sound of the machine as you are falling asleep.
- Distract your mind by thinking of a pleasant, relaxing activity that you enjoy. Thinking of sitting under an umbrella on a quiet beach with a warm gentle breeze works for me.
- Use CPAP software, such as the free SleepyHead, to make sure your therapy is optimized
- If you still don't feel or sleep well, make sure you have regular medical checkups to confirm there are no other medical problems

CG

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:57 pm

I have used Melatonin for years...All you need is 1mg or less. It helps, but no miracles

tuzacat

Post by tuzacat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 pm

There are all sorts of herbs and herbal combinations that can help relax you for sleep if you want to go natural. Hops, Valerian, California Poppy are some. You have to experiment to find what works for you. Everyone reacts differently. I find Valerian makes me kind of dizzy so I avoid it but others swear by it. I usually take melatonin and Pain-Eze. Sometimes I add CBD oil to that and if necessary I will take 5 mgs. of Flexeril. If it's a really bad night I add Sonata. Insomnia is no joke. I wish you luck!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:08 pm

tuzacat wrote:There are all sorts of herbs and herbal combinations that can help relax you for sleep if you want to go natural. Hops, Valerian, California Poppy are some. You have to experiment to find what works for you. Everyone reacts differently. I find Valerian makes me kind of dizzy so I avoid it but others swear by it. I usually take melatonin and Pain-Eze. Sometimes I add CBD oil to that and if necessary I will take 5 mgs. of Flexeril. If it's a really bad night I add Sonata. Insomnia is no joke. I wish you luck!
That's because all of that natural stuff is ineffective.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
tuzacat wrote:There are all sorts of herbs and herbal combinations that can help relax you for sleep if you want to go natural. Hops, Valerian, California Poppy are some. You have to experiment to find what works for you. Everyone reacts differently. I find Valerian makes me kind of dizzy so I avoid it but others swear by it. I usually take melatonin and Pain-Eze. Sometimes I add CBD oil to that and if necessary I will take 5 mgs. of Flexeril. If it's a really bad night I add Sonata. Insomnia is no joke. I wish you luck!

I guess you haven't heard...

There is a movement afloat exploring food (and herbs) as medicine. When used properly they are actually very effective.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:

I guess you haven't heard...

There is a movement afloat exploring food (and herbs) as medicine. When used properly they are actually very effective.
maybe granny don't believe in nuthin that don't come outta some big machine...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:37 am

HoseCrusher wrote:I guess you haven't heard...

There is a movement afloat exploring food (and herbs) as medicine.
No, you don't have a clue. The legitimate pharmaceutical industry has used plants since day one. In the 1800s Bayer started a revolution by synthesizing aspirin. Prior to their work, aspirin came from willow bark and the spirea plant. Not enough could be produced, and the dosage from natural sources varied widely. Thank God for pharmaceutical companies who test, standardize and produce drugs.

"Up to 50% the approved drugs during the last 30 years are from either directly or indirectly from natural products and in the area of cancer, over the time frame from around the 1940s to date, of the 175 small molecules 85 actually being either natural products or directly derived there from. To date, 35,000-70,000 plant species have been screened for their medicinal use." - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3560124/

Here is a list of 120 drugs that came from natural sources - http://www.rain-tree.com/plantdrugs.htm#.WNEqcqK1vIU

Those are real drugs with standardized dosage and testing that showed effectiveness and revealed side effects.

That junk you buy at the natural food store is of inconsistent dosage and unknown results. Just look at what was found about melatonin supplements - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115825&p=1124893#p1124893 What is in those pills is not trustworthy. A fraud.

So, no, there is not now "a movement afloat" - it's been floating for 150 years. I guess you hadn't heard.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:56 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote: Thank God for pharmaceutical companies who test, standardize and produce drugs.
your renumeration for your championing big pharma should be arriving soon.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:59 pm

palerider wrote:your renumeration for your championing big pharma should be arriving soon.
When your argument is exposed as false, shout, "Shill!"

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:03 pm

I am totally impressed with the empire that Bayer and other pharmaceutical companies have built. Not only have they brainwashed everyone into believing synthesized is better, but they also reformed medical education by throwing out basic nutrition and replacing it with how to deal with the various side effects that the synthetic drugs produce.

In addition they have made a lot of money doing so.

Unfortunately in addition to the side effects advertised there are also substances that form toxins in the body that go along with the extended use of pharmaceuticals.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few drugs that are true life savers but they are specified for specific conditions and are not chronically used for everyday matters.

In the 1800's the body was subjected to far fewer toxins. Back then it made sense to standardize willow bark even if it involved some synthetic compounds. Today things have changed. I try to avoid toxin exposure every way I can.

If a "questionable" dose of melatonin helps me fall to sleep, that may involve fewer toxins than going to the doctor and getting a drug. Even if you end up with a placebo effect, I am not aware of any toxins produce by tricking you mind to make your body behave properly.

The current movement that it appears you are unaware of looks at all the toxic exposure you have day to day, and gives you the opportunity to avoid some of them. You can't avoid all of them.

The thought is that if you reduce the toxins that your body has to deal with on a day to day basis, you will enjoy much better quality of life and health. In addition reducing the toxin load on the body makes the immune system stronger in its efforts to detoxify the body on a daily basis.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
palerider wrote:your renumeration for your championing big pharma should be arriving soon.
When your argument is exposed as false, shout, "Shill!"
it wasn't my argument.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:11 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:If a "questionable" dose of melatonin helps me fall to sleep, that may involve fewer toxins than going to the doctor and getting a drug.
just because it doesn't come from a doctor doesn't mean it's not a "drug", though, of course, melatonin is a hormone. perhaps the line is fuzzy with that one.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:14 pm

The question is

What are the co factors involved with a natural chemical versus the co factors involved with a synthetic chemical...?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Unfortunately in addition to the side effects advertised there are also substances that form toxins in the body that go along with the extended use of pharmaceuticals.
You need to be specific about what drugs you are referring to. Otherwise, you are just rambling about nothing. Your use of the word "toxins" over and over tells me you spend time reading snowflake "natural" internet sites that know nothing about how the body works and know nothing about chemistry. They just spout their brand of superstition.

Yes, many drugs are "toxic". Antibiotics, for instance, are all toxic. But, let you contract strep throat, bacterial pneumonia or meningitis. You might die without "toxic" antibiotics.

Ever read the story of how Steve Jobs died? He probably had been reading the same types of web pages that have sucked you in. It killed him. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/a ... -long.html