Machine Placement

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HockeyGirl22

Machine Placement

Post by HockeyGirl22 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 am

At what level on my nightstand can my BiPap machine be placed? It is at the same level as the mattress, bit I would like to put it on the next shelf below, about 18" lower.

I've completed my first 3 weeks on the machine and feel tremendous! Who knew what a good night's sleep would feel like.

thanks for any guidance on machine placement.

Woody

Re: Machine Placement

Post by Woody » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:06 am

That lower shelf should be ok. Ofton people will put the machine lower so
in the case of condensation in the tube sometimes referred to as rainout it
will drain back into the humidifier and not make an odd noise.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

Numnutz

Post by Numnutz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:00 am

Had mine on small stool 4" off the floor forever. No noise, no rainout, easy to hang mask on bedpost, filter stays remarkably clean. Best of luck.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:25 am

Lower is better, especially if you're experiencing rain-out.

bunnypoo

Post by bunnypoo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm only one week in but my respiratory therapist was very adamant about putting my machine at mattress level or below. I assume it was for condensation.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:55 pm

bunnypoo wrote:I'm only one week in but my respiratory therapist was very adamant about putting my machine at mattress level or below. I assume it was for condensation.
Yeah...that's pretty much why. Having the machine lower can let gravity help out if any moisture collects in the hose.
Though with some of these machines and the way the hose attaches the humidifier I have found that gravity runs into some roadblocks. I had that happen a couple of weeks ago with a new machine that I didn't have a heated hose for and I got some nasty condensation in the hose and even holding the hose totally vertical didn't eliminate the problem because of the way the hose attaches to the humidifier. It just wouldn't drain completely.

The other reason for lower is mainly safety. Sometimes these machines get pulled off the table and can come crashing down and if your head is in the way it might cause a problem with head, face or eye injury.

So the machines can be placed higher if someone wants to just as long as the chances of condensation are slim (heated hose will pretty much fix that) and the machine is secured so that it is unlikely to fall and hit a person in the head.

In terms of function though. The machine can be place anywhere a person wants to place and it not affect the actual function of the machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

HockeyGirl22

Post by HockeyGirl22 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Thank you all for your very thoughtful posts!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 pm

With a heated hose I have had excellent results in all locations, even above my head.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 pm

D.H. wrote:Lower is better, especially if you're experiencing rain-out.
One more incorrect answer from D.H., the expert from nowhere. Keep it up off the floor, so the Dust Bunnies can run free and breed! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 am

I was curious to see how others handle placement and was a little surprised that it's supposed to be placed so low by the bed. Mine is app. 5 inches higher than my mattress on a little bedside table. I have had no issues with the machine. Should I make a change? I hate to fix it, if isn't broken.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:52 am

SunnyBeBe wrote:I was curious to see how others handle placement and was a little surprised that it's supposed to be placed so low by the bed. Mine is app. 5 inches higher than my mattress on a little bedside table. I have had no issues with the machine. Should I make a change? I hate to fix it, if isn't broken.
If it's not broke, don't fix it. As long as you are having no problem with rain out or anything else, leave it as it is.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 am

SunnyBeBe wrote:I was curious to see how others handle placement and was a little surprised that it's supposed to be placed so low by the bed. Mine is app. 5 inches higher than my mattress on a little bedside table. I have had no issues with the machine. Should I make a change? I hate to fix it, if isn't broken.
No need to change placement.

As previously noted...the "lower than the bed" thing is really a leftover from the dark ages when we didn't have heated hoses to prevent rain out and condensation in the hose was very common. Using gravity was pretty much the sole option unless someone used a hose cozy or a stand alone heated hose both which DMEs usually didn't sell or tell people about.

Machine placement has nothing to do with how it actually goes about doing its job.
If you don't have any issues with the placement of it now...there zero need to change it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:56 am

Great. I've considered a new bed and furniture sometime this year, but, am hesitant to change anything. Even if I do get new bed and nightstand, I'll keep that table, just in case. Although, when I've used my cpap when away from home, I did okay overnight. Still prefer my setup though.

Seriously, I must have the quietest machine on the planet. I have excellent hearing and am a super light sleeper, but, my machine is just excellent.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear