Nose very uncomfortable when exhaling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
deedees5462

Nose very uncomfortable when exhaling

Post by deedees5462 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 am

Hi, I am using the Swift FX Nano with the Nasal Cushion. I am having a problem while exhaling. My nostrils feel like they are expanding while exhaling. It is very uncomfortable and makes it even more difficult to sleep. I am also have sinus issues, allergies and/or a cold. I use the Resmed S9 Adapt ASV EPAP 6.0 PS 5.0-15.0 (cmH2O). My nose is very sensitive due to the above issues right now. Any suggestions would be helpful.

linuxman

Re: Nose very uncomfortable when exhaling

Post by linuxman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:39 am

They probably do expand a bit on inhale and exhale, but that also probably happens all the time. Are your nostrils hitting the side or bottom of the mask when they expand? If so might need a larger cushion or just a different mask. I find the Swift FX Nano to be pretty uncomfortable because the straps pull only back and up on the mask (like the straps for a pillow mask). There's nothing to keep the cushion off of your nose except gravity, and that's pointed in the wrong direction while sleeping

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

LSAT

Re: Nose very uncomfortable when exhaling

Post by LSAT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:04 am

deedees5462 wrote:Hi, I am using the Swift FX Nano with the Nasal Cushion. I am having a problem while exhaling. My nostrils feel like they are expanding while exhaling. It is very uncomfortable and makes it even more difficult to sleep. I am also have sinus issues, allergies and/or a cold. I use the Resmed S9 Adapt ASV EPAP 6.0 PS 5.0-15.0 (cmH2O). My nose is very sensitive due to the above issues right now. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Possibility that nose cushions are too small and exhaled air is having trouble getting out.