ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier not working

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jtravel

ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier not working

Post by jtravel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 pm

I have a used ResMed AirSense 10 not covered under warranty that has a problem with the Humidifier.
Even at the Max setting of 8 the metal plate is only slightly warm. 86 degrees with IR scanner.
I can unplug it and then plug it in and feel it getting hot for a second or two and then cools.
My room humidity is only 29%
I suspect the humidity sensor in the control circuitry may be bad.
Does anyone know if a Tear down and repair Guide is available for this machine?

RestlessinWoolley

Re: ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier not working

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Is the machine set on adaptive Humidity? just curious, when it rains up here at my place my Humidifier hardly runs at all. I was thinking I had the same issue till I turned adaptive off and the plate on the DreamStation Heated right up.

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 pm

RestlessinWoolley wrote:Is the machine set on adaptive Humidity? just curious, when it rains up here at my place my Humidifier hardly runs at all. I was thinking I had the same issue till I turned adaptive off and the plate on the DreamStation Heated right up.
I wish it would rain here, The fact is we have had record high temps close to or the 90's in Tucson,AZ and the Humidity outside is 14%
Inside I can keep it around 25-30%
I don't have the climateline heated Hose and just using the Standard so my only option is manual Humidification levels 1-8
I was using level 8 to test the system so I should be getting Max humidification.
I can turn on preheat option and when the display says its ready the bottom of the water tank is cold. The plate on the inside is only slightly warm.
I can run the machine at humidity level 8 all night long and only a small amount of water is used in the tank.
I'm pretty sure the unit has a issue and just wondering if I can fix it.
sending it out for repair is not going to be cost effective at this point on a used machine.
The Machine works perfectly otherwise but I need Humidity or my nose and throat dry out too much.
Can't sell it with a known issue like this so I'm stuck unless I can find a cost effective fix.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Contact these people.
http://acbio.com/
I believe they now work on ResMed machines or at least that is what Ian told me a while back.
Maybe they have some ideas.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Pugsy wrote:Contact these people.
http://acbio.com/
I believe they now work on ResMed machines or at least that is what Ian told me a while back.
Maybe they have some ideas.
Pugsy, thanks for the link. I had heard of them before and was thinking about contacting them for a estimate.
I suspect it would be cheaper to buy a used brick 10 and cannibalizing it for parts.
I think it's the firmware that makes them bricks or Auto's.
The humidifier parts should be the same so If I have a repair manual I can replace the most likely defective parts myself.
If no repair manual exists then I'm out of luck or on my own to figure it out.
I have done several google searches and found nothing on repair manuals so it's very likely none exist on the web at this point.
I really wouldn't be surprised if Resmed just scraps defective machines and sends new ones under warranty.
It's often cheaper to manufacture a new one off the line than repair a broken unit.
Many manufactures today sell the broken units to third party refurbish outfits for that reason. They Can't do that with medical equipment so they may just shred it.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Based on the serial number this Machine has one more week before it would have been manufactured two years ago.
The two year warranty is only good for the original purchaser. I was thinking with the help of the seller we could send it for warranty repair thru her DME.
I sent her a direct email and pm thru this site asking for assistance. It's now three days and no response.
I'm thinking this point I should file a Paypal claim against her.
Any other advise?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Did you call acbio.com?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Pugsy wrote:Did you call acbio.com?
they are only a certified warranty repair center for Invacare and Philips Respironics.

Kazimnaim

Post by Kazimnaim » Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 am

Hi There

Did you get the fix for ur machine?

Im having the same.issue...was working fine past few months. Recently im waking up with dried mouth

Any luck u had for the fix?

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:25 am

jtravel wrote:Based on the serial number this Machine has one more week before it would have been manufactured two years ago.
The two year warranty is only good for the original purchaser. I was thinking with the help of the seller we could send it for warranty repair thru her DME.
I sent her a direct email and pm thru this site asking for assistance. It's now three days and no response.
I'm thinking this point I should file a Paypal claim against her.
Any other advise?
How long ago did you buy the machine? PayPal requires you make a claim for a product that is not as represented within 180 days - 60 days for an unauthorized transaction. They also require a good faith effort to resolve with the seller prior to making the claim. It seems likely you have met these criteria. Also, the transaction must have been done online and not in person (such as using PayPal to buy something at HomeDepot). If you have not used this process before, don't be surprised when the claim takes a while to become finalized. In the meantime, you might be better off buying a new unit from someone like CPAP.com and have the full warranty. SecondWind also has good deals on open-box, used, and even new units at very reasonable prices. You may not get the warranty though.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 10, 2017 8:45 am

My reason for sticking with the S9...separate, replaceable humidifier.

kpgresk

Post by kpgresk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am

jtravel wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 pm
I have a used ResMed AirSense 10 not covered under warranty that has a problem with the Humidifier.
Even at the Max setting of 8 the metal plate is only slightly warm. 86 degrees with IR scanner.
I can unplug it and then plug it in and feel it getting hot for a second or two and then cools.
Using a star (or straight blade small) screwdriver, remove the heater cover on the bottom. There is a fuse, a connector and a rubber gasket there. I have had some success by separating the connector and reconnecting. There is also a fuse that should have continuity both ways. It's worked twice before (for months) but now I have another heater fault!

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 am

kpgresk wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am
jtravel wrote:
Using a star (or straight blade small) screwdriver, remove the heater cover on the bottom. There is a fuse, a connector and a rubber gasket there. I have had some success by separating the connector and reconnecting. There is also a fuse that should have continuity both ways. It's worked twice before (for months) but now I have another heater fault!
Welcome.

This thread is over a year old. People here generally use their CPAP every night.

I am sure the OP has resolved their situation and is using CPAP.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

chilly

Post by chilly » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:24 am

kpgresk wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am
I know I am posting to an old thread. However, my problem is new. @kpgresk post is useful and I will try his fix. Thanks!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:58 am

jtravel wrote:
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to point out that IR 'scanners' (thermometers) aren't reliable on shiny metal surfaces like the heater plate on a cpap, it'll read the *reflected* heat from inside the machine, not the plate itself.

You need a contact thermometer, or, you can put some (preferably black) tape on the plate and then read the temp from THAT to get a valid reading.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.