New User

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Musickf

New User

Post by Musickf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 am

Good morning! I just started using my CPAP machine last Friday and am looking forward to continuing to get healthier through it. Just wanted to say "hi" and make my presence known.

prodigyplace

Re: New User

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 am

Welcome!

I am finding out that, like other forums, there is a mix of helpful information and pugilistic brats. Try to absorb the first while ignoring the second.

Pugsy seems to be one of the most helpful around here.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Susie Kay

Post by Susie Kay » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 am

prodigyplace wrote:there is a mix of helpful information and pugilistic brats
Sounds like you are going to join the ranks of the latter. Sigh.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Please let us know how you did tomorrow morning.

Musickf

Post by Musickf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:21 am

After my 6th day of using my machine, I'm finally getting to the point of knowing how to use my nose pillow. My chin strap, on the other hand, I can do without. It keeps sliding off and causing my mouth to gape open. My wife actually woke me up a few times last night because she was worried about the noise she was hearing. I explained what it was this morning, though, so she's at ease now. I'm thinking of either making my own, since I know what I want but can't find one online that has the shape, and may try an ace bandage one for a bit. When my chin strap falls off it starts a domino effect of my mask sliding a bit, so that causes some issues. I feel better today than I did yesterday, though. I didn't sleep much the night before. The problem last night was me not really trusting the machine to do what it's supposed to. That will come with time, I think, because I've been dealing with sleep apnea for 30-something years before I knew what it was called. Just have to work on rewiring my brain. Melatonin helps, but until I can get the chin strap issue taken care of I may be dealing with it for a bit longer.

I've learned that just because you sleep better at night coffee is still an amazing thing to have

robpiercey

Post by robpiercey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:30 am

Welcome. I'm new as well. Good luck with your treatment.

crestifer

Post by crestifer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:39 am

welcome, sir.

this is a good place to get advice from experienced CPAP users.

glad to have you onboard.

a few things you can do to ensure you get some good help here:

1. go to the user settings and edit your profile to display the machine and mask that you use.

2. download the sleepyhead software. there is information on what it is, and how to download it and install it, up in the announcement section.

3. if your machine is data capable, you can record data each night, import it into sleepyhead and be able to see a lot more information, as well as be able to post screen shots here so folks can help you sort out what that data means and how you can use it to optimize your treatment.

again, welcome.

cheers

linuxman

Post by linuxman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 am

Musickf wrote:After my 6th day of using my machine, I'm finally getting to the point of knowing how to use my nose pillow. My chin strap, on the other hand, I can do without. It keeps sliding off and causing my mouth to gape open. My wife actually woke me up a few times last night because she was worried about the noise she was hearing. I explained what it was this morning, though, so she's at ease now. I'm thinking of either making my own, since I know what I want but can't find one online that has the shape, and may try an ace bandage one for a bit. When my chin strap falls off it starts a domino effect of my mask sliding a bit, so that causes some issues. I feel better today than I did yesterday, though. I didn't sleep much the night before. The problem last night was me not really trusting the machine to do what it's supposed to. That will come with time, I think, because I've been dealing with sleep apnea for 30-something years before I knew what it was called. Just have to work on rewiring my brain. Melatonin helps, but until I can get the chin strap issue taken care of I may be dealing with it for a bit longer.

I've learned that just because you sleep better at night coffee is still an amazing thing to have

Chin straps are one of those things you just have try a bunch to find the right fit, and stability. You'll just need to buy a few until you find that magic one. For me, I've pretty well settled on https://www.amazon.com/Premium-White-Su ... chin+strap . It's stable, adjustable, and wide enough to not slip off your head or your jawline (for me).. It's also cheap. I've also tried the PAPcap. It's comfortable, but the strap is too narrow to stay in place under my jaw. Just keep trying things..you'll find something that works for you.

Note also that the chin strap won't necessarily prevent mouth breathing completely. It helps, and for of some, is a prerequisite for success, but preventing leaks through your lips is the real goal. As you'll discover, that's a more complicated issue to solve, and generally involves training yourself to keep your tongue near the roof of your mouth to block the pressure from your airway reaching the front of your mouth. I've actually got myself trained to do this now, and it's become more and more automatic for me. Read the wiki pages about mouth leaks for more information.

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:22 am

Welcome and good luck!

Finding the right mask can be the trickiest thing, if you're a mouth breather a chin strap may or may not work, some prefer a Full Face Mask, others tape their mouths closed or train themselves to hold their tongue on the roof of their mouth. If your machine has a data card, download Sleepyhead and start taking control of your own therapy with the help of people here on the forum.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)