Apnea, Bruxism and Non Allergic Rhinitis - ideas welcome

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnoelle

Apnea, Bruxism and Non Allergic Rhinitis - ideas welcome

Post by jnoelle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:50 am

I've been recently diagnosed with OSA and have adjusted to my CPAP machine pretty well, using it for the past 2 weeks. My sleep has improved and my AHI is under control. Unfortunately, it has caused my non allergic rhinitis (vasomotor rhinitis) to reappear with a vengeance. I can breathe before I go to sleep but wake up with one nostril completely clogged and the other partially blocked. During the day, my sinuses open back up so it has to be the pressure / air that is irritating.

I'm open to new ideas from anyone who has successfully managed Sleep Apnea with a mouthguard for bruxism and allergy problems. From what I have read, it takes a lot of trial and error to figure this out!

Basics:
. Using Airsense 10 Autoset for her with humidifier and heated hose with N20 nasal mask
- I also have bruxism and have an upper teeth mouthguard, which I've had for quite some time
- non allergic rhinitis which before the APAP was under control
- side sleeper

Things I have tried (unsuccessfully)
*changing humidity and hose temperature
*changing just humidity or just hose temperature
*Daily use of saline rinses and avamys (fluticasone furoate nasal spray) - ongoing
*Lansnioh (lanolin) gel
*machine is kept clean in addition to following manufacturers instructions, I use a soclean2 daily. (plus I've only had it 2 weeks so there can't be enormous build up!)

Any ideas welcome! I'm just hoping the answer is not that I'll have to just deal with it.

I'd tried a full face mask when picking up my machine (though have never slept with one) but the straps felt they constricted my jaw too much.

Julie

Re: Apnea, Bruxism and Non Allergic Rhinitis - ideas welcome

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:29 am

l hope you gave those changes at least a couple of days each (and on their own so as to be able to tell which has worked or not) to gauge effects - I would have suggested lowering the humidity for instance, but you say you've tried it - just wondering if you gave it a fair chance.

The other thing however is that I recently had a similar problem until I realized it's early spring (whether or not you can tell from the weather) and you may have allergies. My problem was that when I would take e.g. a Claritin or Reactine, I couldn't go to sleep because the non-drowsy type kept me awake (of course) so take them in the a.m. instead.

I would not limit your trial of FF masks to one - that might also have been unnecessarily overtightened. Look on Cpap.com for other choices/styles and maybe try a piece of fleece or something under that strap if you can't find one without the strap.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:16 am

Google "nasal cycle"...maybe that is part of the issue at night.

Something else to try..let's see if the mask resting on the nose is part of the problem. Take your fingers and put them on the sides of your nose up by the nasal bridge area where the turbinates are and where the mask rests...and apply gentle pressure for a little while to mimic mask pressure and see if your nose becomes congested and if it does how long does it take for the congestion to go away when you remove the pressure.

When you tried varying the humidity levels...was there any noticeable change in symptoms one way or the other with the varying humidity levels? Even a slight change?
I assume you tried the "auto" humidity setting also?
One other question...at the higher settings you tried...did it use up much water out of the chamber?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 am

jnoelle wrote:I use a soclean2 daily.
so sorry you got suckered into that snake oil waste of money.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:46 am

palerider wrote:
jnoelle wrote:I use a soclean2 daily.
so sorry you got suckered into that snake oil waste of money.
My sympathies, as well.

jnoelle

Post by jnoelle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:31 am

Thank you for the suggestions

Re: humidity/temperature: I had been on the auto setting. When I increase humidity (with or without) a temperature increase, I feel like I am in a swamp. On the higher humidity settings, there wasn't much difference in the water usage. I live in london which has a general high humidity level all the time.

I have lowered the heat 1 degree which was somewhat helpful with the nasal mask.

Re: Allergies - As my symptoms resolve during the day, I don't think allergies are causing my sinus problem. I have been tested both blood and skin prick and have come up negative for all airborne and food allergies.

Re: Mask - I've swapped my nasal mask and have been using an Amara view mask for the last 2 nights, However my AHI has increased (no significant mask leaks) and I don't feel as well rested. My sinus issues are lessened though.

Tried pressing on my turbinates and it actually relieves some pressure rather than causing congestion!

I am thinking I will try another FF mask and see what happens

Thanks again and any other tricks or tips welcome -

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 am

Have you seen this?

"Postby yaconsult on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:10 am

Problems with Ozone Generators and Ionizers that Produce Ozone
http://www.allergyclean.com/problems-wi ... uce-ozone/

Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality- ... r-cleaners

I realize you're not using yours as an 'air cleaner' but it was a good place to start. Look at the table (not those above) in that member post (which for some reason won't copy into this one) and see what you're dealing with... You are at the very least wasting your money, at the most, introducing something you really don't want. Do a forum search for SoClean otherwise and see how many hits you get!

Don't remember what your pressure settings are, but have you tried experimenting with a bit higher or lower ones (mostly for the low setting pf course).

EveOett

Post by EveOett » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 am

I am a two- year CPAP user and have found sinus relief in the past few months by using an inline bacterial filter. Nothing else helped my sinus issues and I was truly miserable with congestion. I still have issues but it's definitely better. Could be worth a try.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -pack.html

Good luck in your quest!

Eve
Best, Eve