Sore IN nose that won't go away!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
linda b

Sore IN nose that won't go away!!

Post by linda b » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:30 pm

I've had a sore in one side of my nose for quite some time now. Every night, in spite of using a heated humidifier, "gunk' dries on and around the little scab on this sore. I just have to get rid of this 'gunk' and in the process usually pull off the scab, making the sore bleed again. During the day it scabs up and then along comes another night and ...well, the process repeats itself.

My question is, does anyone know of a healing ointment or cream or something that I can safely apply to this spot inside my nose to keep it moist so it doesn't irritate me so much and that will promote faster healing?

Linda B.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:36 pm

no, but I would worry about pulling it off all the time leading to Cancer. I'd let it heal. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Snoredog

Re: Sore IN nose that won't go away!!

Post by Snoredog » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:54 pm

[quote="linda b"]I've had a sore in one side of my nose for quite some time now. Every night, in spite of using a heated humidifier, "gunk' dries on and around the little scab on this sore. I just have to get rid of this 'gunk' and in the process usually pull off the scab, making the sore bleed again. During the day it scabs up and then along comes another night and ...well, the process repeats itself.

My question is, does anyone know of a healing ointment or cream or something that I can safely apply to this spot inside my nose to keep it moist so it doesn't irritate me so much and that will promote faster healing?

Moogy

Post by Moogy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:56 pm

linda b wrote:
I have had similar problems, and I have used Lansinoh, which is a highly purified grade of lanolin. It is marketed to breasfeeding mothers, so you will find it with the baby dept at WalMart or a pharmacy. You only need to use a very small amount. It works great for any type of wound that you want to keep moist. Since it is safe for ingestion by very young babies, I don't worry about side effects. I am allergic to most wool, but this wool-based product doesn't bother me, probably because of the purification process.

Moogy
Moogy
started bipap therapy 3/8/2006
pre-treatment AHI 102.5;
Now on my third auto bipap machine, pressures 16-20.5

linda b

Post by linda b » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 pm

Thanks for the tips -- I'll probably try both of them as soon as possible. I think we have some neosporin, if I can find it.

Moogy, I'm a Texas girl myself. Was born and raised in Wichita Falls, have a brother that still lives there and a sister and some cousins in the Dallas area. My oldest daughter got her PHd at UTexas at Port Aransas in Marine Science. I've been in East Tennessee since 1973. Sometimes I really do miss that "middle of nowhere" feeling. You may be able to take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl!!
Linda B.

pc_5150

Post by pc_5150 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:37 am

I've had these problems as well and "cured" them fairly quickly with Lysine ointment you can get from GNC or any natural medicine store. Also, the stuff works very fast on cold sores if you ever have those.

I generally apply with a pinky or q-tip.

yieldstowe@aol

Nose sore

Post by yieldstowe@aol » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:37 pm

I have had a sore in my nose for over a month now. It just won't heal. I've used neosporin, vaseline, regular lotion , peroxide. I've written down these items posted and will try these. Boy, it hurts, I can't even touch the outside of my nose without tearing up. Its not a pimple. Its raw skin inside and it bleeds and hurts. I have no idea what its from.

muffy5524

Post by muffy5524 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:06 am

[quote="linda b"]I've had a sore in one side of my nose for quite some time now. Every night, in spite of using a heated humidifier, "gunk' dries on and around the little scab on this sore. I just have to get rid of this 'gunk' and in the process usually pull off the scab, making the sore bleed again. During the day it scabs up and then along comes another night and ...well, the process repeats itself.

muffy5524

Re: Nose sore

Post by muffy5524 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:27 am

yieldstowe@aol wrote:Did your sore nose symptons ever go away????

linda b

Post by linda b » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Yes, my sore is just about healed thanks to some prescription cream my husband had and a tremendous amount of willpower on my part to leave it alone!!!

Linda B.

CS Illinois

Post by CS Illinois » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:37 pm

pc_5150 wrote:I've had these problems as well and "cured" them fairly quickly with Lysine ointment you can get from GNC or any natural medicine store. Also, the stuff works very fast on cold sores if you ever have those.

I generally apply with a pinky or q-tip.
The base for GNC's lysine ointment is petroleum jelly. Don't put pj into your nose because it can end up in your lungs and cause lipoid pneumonia!!!!!!!!

birdshell

Petroleum Jelly in Nose

Post by birdshell » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Funny that the petroleum jelly was recommended to me by at least 5 doctors.

I have had problems with nosebleeds since I was a child, and the doctors (2 of which are ENT's) all told me to apply petroleum jelly into the nostrils to keep the membranes moist.

That does NOT mean packing in the petroleum jelly and filling the entire nostril. It means just putting a little dab (as with Brylcream, it'll do ya) on one's little finger and applying it in a thin layer to the skin inside the nostril.

BTW, the only thing that EVER helped my nosebleeds (besides cauterizing the skin inside the nostrils) was and is Flonase. After getting used to it, I have only had 2 nosebleeds in 12 years. (Yes, nosebleeds are a side effect but those are VERY light and go away after a few days of use.)

Ellen

Post by Ellen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:43 pm

I squeeze some UNPETROLEUM JELLY (available at health food stores) into a small container and add 10 drops of essential oil of Myrrh (will tighten tissues) and use in nostrils every night with Swift nasal pillows. Have healed all sores and prevented any more.........................

Ellen

birdshell

UN-petroleum jelly

Post by birdshell » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Great tip, Ellen. Is there a company making the UNpetroleum jelly? I just wondered if the product is a big undertaking available nationwide? Or maybe made by various companies?

Thank you.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:50 pm

I've been using the product shown in the following link, and other similar ones. One kind of made me sneaze, so I switched to another which I think is called Simply Saline (its a gel as well).

I used to get the sore, specifically in my right nostril, right were most of the air blows out of the nasal pad. I think the sore (at least in my case) was not really caused by the nasal pad, but by the air constantly blowing over the same spot. Due to the way my nasal passage is my right nostril kind of gets in the way of the airflow.

Anyways... the gel puts a perfect coating over the area that does not allow the "wind burn", if I may call it that to happen.

I don't use the gel everynight... just when I start noticing irration in the area.

Here's the link:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... d=prod4998[/url]