noise keeping my wife awake - AirSense 10 AutoSet

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jim.evo

noise keeping my wife awake - AirSense 10 AutoSet

Post by jim.evo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:04 pm

the noise in question is related to my breathing. last night i was awake and on my side when it happened. there were no leaks or mouth breathing etc but the sound of my breathing in and out was loud to both of us.

something similar happened with my first AirSense 10 after about 1 year of use. replacement has been fine for past 2 1/2 years or so but for the past few months it's enough to interfere with my wife's sleep. i noted the time that it happened last night at about 11:15pm (although it had been going on before that and after that for a time). the data shows high tidal volume around that time and higher insp. time & exp. time (not sure what those are) around the same time.

any suggestions on fixing this? settings, etc. Thanks!

ps. any other suggestions re my settings based on your thoughts would be great as well. this board has helped me a great deal in the past to get this machine dialed in. when i see my doc for my annual check up they have looked at the settings and say all is well.
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.44.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.44.59 AM.png (604.06 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.45.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.45.28 AM.png (605.21 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.46.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.46.00 AM.png (586.71 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

Janknitz

Re: noise keeping my wife awake - AirSense 10 AutoSet

Post by Janknitz » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:55 pm

What kind of mask do you use?

Was it possibly related to your position (i.e. noise conducting through contact of the mask or hose with the mattress, pillow, or hard bedside surfaces)?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:55 pm
What kind of mask do you use?

Was it possibly related to your position (i.e. noise conducting through contact of the mask or hose with the mattress, pillow, or hard bedside surfaces)?
i have the swift fx with medium nasal pillows.

i would think that the noise would be more persistent if it was due to the mask touching the pillow as i sleep on my side 95% of the time. hose is draped through the headboard as usual. i will see if i can replicate it and keep an eye (ear) on this possibility.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:31 pm

I just started using this machine and do hear the breathing noise coming from where the filter is. It’s less noisy than my Dreamstation was. It helped me to turn that side away from the bed.

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:02 pm

dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:31 pm
I just started using this machine and do hear the breathing noise coming from where the filter is. It’s less noisy than my Dreamstation was. It helped me to turn that side away from the bed.
I will give a try. Thanks!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:27 pm

Make sure the water chamber is completely inserted fully and tight. If it is still noisy remove the chamber and look inside at the seals/gaskets in the back and make sure there is no crimping.

Your wife shouldn't be hearing Darth Vadar like noises if that is what she is hearing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:22 pm

jim.evo wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:02 pm
dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:31 pm
I will give a try. Thanks!
that helped a lot! thanks for the tip.

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:27 pm
Make sure the water chamber is completely inserted fully and tight. If it is still noisy remove the chamber and look inside at the seals/gaskets in the back and make sure there is no crimping.

Your wife shouldn't be hearing Darth Vadar like noises if that is what she is hearing.
checked it last night and seemed ok. HOWEVER i did notice quite a bit of mineral deposits in the area - we have hard water (no choline). perhaps i should clean it and try distilled water.... :idea:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:55 pm

The mineral deposits on the water chamber itself shouldn't be the cause of the noise if (big if) the noise is even related to the water chamber but there is a potential for mineral deposits to impact the silicone seals inside the humidifer.
There is the air outlet part that involves silicone gasket that might be a factor. It's a long shot but it is a replaceable part.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... air-outlet

The fact that ResMed offers this part makes me wonder why it is even offered if it didn't fail or wear out. The other gasket/seal I can't find but this part is offered everywhere.

Now is it a factor in your noise issues???? I don't know but it is relatively inexpensive and from the videos easy to replace and might be worth a try.
Your wife shouldn't ever hear your machine or your breathing and the fact that she does means something is not quite right.
If it were a constant complaint we might think something else inside the blower is failing but if it's intermittent then we wonder what is changing that might cause it to happen sometime and not other times.

I assume you have changed the usual pollen/dust filter and make sure it is properly placed. I did read where someone said that the pollen/dust filter seemed to have got sucked into the air intake a bit and they were getting weird noises and replacing the filter so it wouldn't get sucked in seemed to fix their issues. It's hard to know because we don't know what they were hearing since we aren't there.

There is also the possibility something is ailing inside the blower unit itself.

Your wife shouldn't be hearing the machine or your breathing though. It just doesn't make logical sense unless something is wrong somewhere. Even when I know I hear the Darth Vadar sounds because it is a conducted noise because of the mask I might be using...my husband doesn't hear a thing. It's loud in my head but that's the only place anyone hears it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:14 pm

One thing I noticed is that the breaks in your night are right after the machine has increased pressure. The normal venting rate also increases with pressure. You may be sensitive to the changes. An increase in the minimum may decrease these changes.

I tried the Swift Fx when I first started and with my higher pressures the venting was noisy to me. Others have used it for years without problems. The p10 is much quieter for me.

Also if you think it is related to neck position a firm foam cervical collar might help. Can't see any mouth leaks but it is cheap to try.

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:21 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:14 pm
One thing I noticed is that the breaks in your night are right after the machine has increased pressure. The normal venting rate also increases with pressure. You may be sensitive to the changes. An increase in the minimum may decrease these changes.

I tried the Swift Fx when I first started and with my higher pressures the venting was noisy to me. Others have used it for years without problems. The p10 is much quieter for me.

Also if you think it is related to neck position a firm foam cervical collar might help. Can't see any mouth leaks but it is cheap to try.
thanks. the "breaks" are when i wake to use the bathroom. given that, would you still recommend an increase in minimum pressure? if so how much? my doc said, couple of years ago, that all looked ok but he would increase the minimum pressure - didn't say why or how much - and it didn't seem like a big deal to him at the time. however i'm willing to give it a try after trying other things, one at a time...

occasionally i have "large leaks" i think when i'm on my back (which i try not to do) and do use a chin strap which helps.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:12 pm

The consideration here is whether it is the volume or change in volume that is disturbing and even if it is venting noise. By increasing the minimum the noise may be more consistent but not less.

Most of this night you were above 8, if the other nights are the same then I would head toward that number maybe starting with a 1 cm increase. A change is not necessary for your treatment numbers but maybe for comfort.

You need to determine where the noise is coming from to find a solution and that's difficult for us to do. If you have used this type of mask successfully before, what has changed?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

jim.evo

Post by jim.evo » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:49 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:12 pm
The consideration here is whether it is the volume or change in volume that is disturbing and even if it is venting noise. By increasing the minimum the noise may be more consistent but not less.

Most of this night you were above 8, if the other nights are the same then I would head toward that number maybe starting with a 1 cm increase. A change is not necessary for your treatment numbers but maybe for comfort.

You need to determine where the noise is coming from to find a solution and that's difficult for us to do. If you have used this type of mask successfully before, what has changed?
well things are better since i moved the machine - filter facing away from the bed.

yesterday i cleaned the unit of mineral deposits - particular where the tank slides inside and connects. i also used a new tube and pillows etc AND used mineral water instead of the filtered tap water - which is high in minerals.

i'll see how this works for a while before i make any more changes.

thanks

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:51 pm

jim.evo wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:49 pm
AND used mineral water instead of the filtered tap water - which is high in minerals.
You don't want to use mineral water.

It won't reduce noise and will leave a lot more sediment.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:40 am

Is there a way to post a video of the noise on here?