DME trying to give me a brick?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Elidh

DME trying to give me a brick?

Post by Elidh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi all! This is my first post - be gentle I had my titration study about 10 days ago (initial sleep study indicated severe OSA). The hospital chose the DME (DASCO) as I indicated no preference. I got a call from the regional DASCO wanting to set me up with an appointment for my CPAP and I asked her what machine they were thinking of using and she said a 3B Luna (Resmart?). The phone call took me somewhat by surprise, and although I didn't have all my ducks in a row to argue my case, I told her I had been researching and wanted a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset w/ humidifier. As she was talking I looked up the Luna and it appears to be 1/2 the price of the Airsense 10 (oh, goodie, more profit for the DME ). She got somewhat flustered and said she wasn't sure the local DME would have the machine I wanted and that she would have them call me (they haven't yet). When they do, I would tell them the machine I want gets better (and more) reviews, the travel bag is superior (I travel a lot)....What else can I argue? Does the Luna work with Sleepyhead? Also, I am poised to say I will look for another DME, if that's a wise thing to say. I appreciate any guidance - this Forum has been a Godsend so far.

P.S. - I am retired military and have Tricare insurance, FWIW.

palerider

Re: DME trying to give me a brick?

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Elidh wrote:Hi all! This is my first post - be gentle I had my titration study about 10 days ago (initial sleep study indicated severe OSA). The hospital chose the DME (DASCO) as I indicated no preference. I got a call from the regional DASCO wanting to set me up with an appointment for my CPAP and I asked her what machine they were thinking of using and she said a 3B Luna (Resmart?). The phone call took me somewhat by surprise, and although I didn't have all my ducks in a row to argue my case, I told her I had been researching and wanted a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset w/ humidifier. As she was talking I looked up the Luna and it appears to be 1/2 the price of the Airsense 10 (oh, goodie, more profit for the DME ). She got somewhat flustered and said she wasn't sure the local DME would have the machine I wanted and that she would have them call me (they haven't yet). When they do, I would tell them the machine I want gets better (and more) reviews, the travel bag is superior (I travel a lot)....What else can I argue? Does the Luna work with Sleepyhead? Also, I am poised to say I will look for another DME, if that's a wise thing to say. I appreciate any guidance - this Forum has been a Godsend so far.

why argue, just tell 'em you won't accept that knock off chinese piece of crap. and, no, it doesn't work with sleepyhead.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:59 pm

You can call several DMEs and try to find one who will give you what you want. You might try having your sleep doctor write a scrip specifying the Auto Airsense.

mike1953

Post by mike1953 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Elidh wrote:Hi all! This is my first post - be gentle I had my titration study about 10 days ago (initial sleep study indicated severe OSA). The hospital chose the DME (DASCO) as I indicated no preference. I got a call from the regional DASCO wanting to set me up with an appointment for my CPAP and I asked her what machine they were thinking of using and she said a 3B Luna (Resmart?). The phone call took me somewhat by surprise, and although I didn't have all my ducks in a row to argue my case, I told her I had been researching and wanted a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset w/ humidifier. As she was talking I looked up the Luna and it appears to be 1/2 the price of the Airsense 10 (oh, goodie, more profit for the DME ). She got somewhat flustered and said she wasn't sure the local DME would have the machine I wanted and that she would have them call me (they haven't yet). When they do, I would tell them the machine I want gets better (and more) reviews, the travel bag is superior (I travel a lot)....What else can I argue? Does the Luna work with Sleepyhead? Also, I am poised to say I will look for another DME, if that's a wise thing to say. I appreciate any guidance - this Forum has been a Godsend so far.

#1 check with Tricare and find out what DME's they will work with in your area. #2 Have your Dr. specify exactly what machine you want on your RX. The DME doesnot care that you travel or what you want.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:21 pm

I love it when patients are proactive, demanding PROPER equipment rather than the random piece of crap
that makes the dealer the most money. I second shopping around for a decent DME, in network.
You are free to tell the d-bags why they are fired.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Ask your doctor to write you a prescription for the type of machine you want. My prescription stated I was to get a Resmed auto bilevel machine. I am also retired military, but am old enough to have Medicare as my primary insurance, since I have to use DMEs that are on the approved Medicare list.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:47 pm

Just tell the DME you know exactly what machine you want and you will not accept any other machine. If they can not provide it to you, find a DME that will. It's that simple.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Oh, and THANK YOU for your service!

Elidh

Post by Elidh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks so much, everyone, for all the input and encouragement
THANK YOU for your service!
It was an honor, chunkyfrog!

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:00 pm

I've never heard of the 3B Luna before and had to look it up. Do you THINK they MAY have been trying to make it look like the S9 at all?

Good for you for doing your research and demanding you get a GOOD machine!

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:21 pm

Thatgirl wrote:I've never heard of the 3B Luna before and had to look it up. Do you THINK they MAY have been trying to make it look like the S9 at all?
not really, looks a lot more like a fake prs1.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:55 pm

the easiest way is to call the local dme's and ask if they accept tricare. most companies accept tricare. there are different tricare programs and regions. go to the tricare website. if you fish around you'll find a place that will tell you the covered dme's in your area. when you figure out a dme, have your doctor write them a prescription for the machine you want. my experience is tricare gives you what the doctor ordered. i'm retired military too.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990