Please Help Me Adjust My Set-up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepbandit9

Please Help Me Adjust My Set-up

Post by sleepbandit9 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi All,

I recently started CPAP 2 weeks ago. Migrated from an oral appliance which worked, but was messing up my bite and getting teeth movement. I have mild apnea, 10 AHI, per sleep study. My issues is my puffy eyes. I have a Resmed auto 10. I started with an N30i mask. My AHI was reduced to just over 5.0. However, I could never get comfortable with the mask. It irritated my nose because I have a coarse, close cropped beard and I couldn't sleep on my side. I would hear my breathing in the mask. It drove me nuts. I switched to a P10, which got me down to under a 1.0 AHI with a chin strap. And I can sleep on my side. Super quiet. HOWEVER, I now wake up with puffy eyes that don't really go away. I like this mask and I like cpap compared to an oral appliance. No more bite issues and I get a lot of REM sleep with CPAP. But, I need to fix this eye issue. I looked more rested without any treatment and I was exhaused. LOL.

I am wondering if humidification needs to be turned up? My eyes feel dry. I tried turning up the humidification, but it felt wet so I turned it down. But, now I am thinking I need to turn up the heat too. At this time I am using Auto settings. Maybe ask doc to reduce pressure? Another mask? Ugh this is so frustrating cause I thought I solved my mask problem. I am sleeping better and got my AHI down less than 1.0 and I have only used this 2 weeks. But, I look terrible so that's not a good outcome for me.

Thank you all!

Pugsy

Re: Please Help Me Adjust My Set-up

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:43 pm

Get some strap pads or make some for those side straps going over your cheeks.
The puffiness comes from the normal fluids within the skin not being able to float around or disperse well because the strap pressure sort of blocks that needed dispersal. Strap covers help diffuse the pressure and allow for the fluids to disperse more easily.
Padacheek makes some nice ones or if you are handy you can make your own.
When I used the P10 I had to use the strap covers or else I got massive bags under and over my eyes. The side I slept on was always worse as well.
https://www.padacheek.com/

Or take a look at the mask I use. Link in my profile...no straps.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:49 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:43 pm
Get some strap pads or make some for those side straps going over your cheeks.
The puffiness comes from the normal fluids within the skin not being able to float around or disperse well because the strap pressure sort of blocks that needed dispersal. Strap covers help diffuse the pressure and allow for the fluids to disperse more easily.
Padacheek makes some nice ones or if you are handy you can make your own.
When I used the P10 I had to use the strap covers or else I got massive bags under and over my eyes. The side I slept on was always worse as well.
https://www.padacheek.com/

Or take a look at the mask I use. Link in my profile...no straps.
Yes, the side I sleep on is worse. Sounds like you moved away from the P10. Is there a better mask possible for me since your experienced with the P10? Thanks!

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:53 pm

sleepbandit9 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:49 pm

Yes, the side I sleep on is worse. Sounds like you moved away from the P10. Is there a better mask possible for me since your experienced with the P10? Thanks!
welcome to the zoo!

please look at the bottom of pugsy's post. you'll see Mask: and then blue lettering. click on the blue lettering to be taken to another site where you'll see the mask she is talking about.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:08 pm

Of all the nasal pillow masks out there that I have tried....I have had to use some sort of strap padding/cover on the part of the headgear that touches my face. I just get dents or bags or puffiness easily. It's a fluid dispersal thing and when we lay on our side the side that is down also has to fight gravity to move those fluids around.
So with the traditional headgear...the P10 was the least problematic and I still had to use strap padding. Even with padding I would still sometimes get a bit of denting or puffiness but not nearly was much as I got without the extra padding.

I have been on cpap for over 11 years...all nasal pillow and for years and years I would tell my husband that I wanted to just glue or tape the nasal pillows to my nose and ditch headgear totally. Then Stuart came up with the Bleep DreamPort...no headgear and while not a nasal pillow mask...I don't care. It's sort of between a nasal cradle cushion and nasal pillow mask. Nothing goes inside the nose at all.
No headgear to fiddle with and cause dents or bags or puffiness from restriction of the dispersal of normal body fluids.

So I prefer the Bleep...no headgear. Now I do sometimes get a little puffiness around my eyes when I spend much time on my side and it's always the side that is down. Not much I can do about that. I would have the same issue if I wasn't on cpap. It's that fluid dispersal thing that is related to gravity. Physics in action.

Side note...cool moist compresses will help shrink the puffiness. Some people have had good luck with Preparation H hemorrhoid cream but I didn't see that it helped all that much for me. Others found it helped a lot. Just one of the many things that come with a YMMV sticker.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:19 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:08 pm
Of all the nasal pillow masks out there that I have tried....I have had to use some sort of strap padding/cover on the part of the headgear that touches my face. I just get dents or bags or puffiness easily. It's a fluid dispersal thing and when we lay on our side the side that is down also has to fight gravity to move those fluids around.
So with the traditional headgear...the P10 was the least problematic and I still had to use strap padding. Even with padding I would still sometimes get a bit of denting or puffiness but not nearly was much as I got without the extra padding.

I have been on cpap for over 11 years...all nasal pillow and for years and years I would tell my husband that I wanted to just glue or tape the nasal pillows to my nose and ditch headgear totally. Then Stuart came up with the Bleep DreamPort...no headgear and while not a nasal pillow mask...I don't care. It's sort of between a nasal cradle cushion and nasal pillow mask. Nothing goes inside the nose at all.
No headgear to fiddle with and cause dents or bags or puffiness from restriction of the dispersal of normal body fluids.

So I prefer the Bleep...no headgear. Now I do sometimes get a little puffiness around my eyes when I spend much time on my side and it's always the side that is down. Not much I can do about that. I would have the same issue if I wasn't on cpap. It's that fluid dispersal thing that is related to gravity. Physics in action.

Side note...cool moist compresses will help shrink the puffiness. Some people have had good luck with Preparation H hemorrhoid cream but I didn't see that it helped all that much for me. Others found it helped a lot. Just one of the many things that come with a YMMV sticker.
Thanks for your patience with me and all the great feedback. I am not sure this strap thing going on with me. I think it's a dryness thing. My eyes are dry and I am sneezing a bunch throughout the day. I have to figure this out or I go back to the oral appliance let my teeth fall out. LOL

openheartmama

Post by openheartmama » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:55 pm

I have found that wearing an eye mask or scarf around my eyes at night helps with the puffiness. I like the weighted nodpod a lot. Finding a mask that doesn't leak also helped. I'm still new to this, but I started troubleshooting eye puffiness fast because I looked so wiped out when I would wake in the morning.

NJ-based mama to two wee school-aged wonders, wife to super-nerd scientist. Breaking up the pandemic monotony with May 2020 open heart repair of ascending aortic aneurysm. OHS diagnosed September 2020. Still tired but optimistic.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:41 pm

openheartmama wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:55 pm
I have found that wearing an eye mask or scarf around my eyes at night helps with the puffiness. I like the weighted nodpod a lot. Finding a mask that doesn't leak also helped. I'm still new to this, but I started troubleshooting eye puffiness fast because I looked so wiped out when I would wake in the morning.
huh. haven't heard about this. a quick trip to amazon reveals several different brands.

being a basic miser, i'm wondering why putting any sort of weight in a mask causes them to be so expensive. or at least, when compare to a basic sleep mask.

at any rate, thanks for mentioning. looks like it could help someone out there.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:01 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:08 pm

Question: is the bleep quiet? Do you hear yourself breathing into the tube? I love the P10 cause I don’t hear anything and minimal leaks. Thanks!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:08 am

The breathing noise...what I call the Darth Vadar effect....I do NOT hear it with the Bleep.
I didn't hear it with the P10 either.
I do hear it with the masks that have air in the frame like the ResMed P30i. It was so bad for me that I didn't even try to sleep with the P30i. Now others use the P30i and don't seem to have a problem with the Darth Vadar effect so again a YMMV thing.

khauser

Post by khauser » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:29 am

Ditto, Bleep is silent for me. All I hear is the machine, and that's really quiet.

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:02 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:08 am
The breathing noise...what I call the Darth Vadar effect....I do NOT hear it with the Bleep.
I didn't hear it with the P10 either.
I do hear it with the masks that have air in the frame like the ResMed P30i. It was so bad for me that I didn't even try to sleep with the P30i. Now others use the P30i and don't seem to have a problem with the Darth Vadar effect so again a YMMV thing.
Thank you so much for all your help! Yes, the Darth Vadar noise is what drove me to the P10 which is quiet and comfortable for me. I just purchased a bleep bundle kit. I sleep well with the p10 so if I can get rid of these puffy eyes with the bleep I am a happy camper! I did try some soft material between the frame last night and it did help as you suggested. I do believe you are right that frame is compressing the cheeks under the eyes causing this issue I am having. Otherwise, I love cpap. I just bought a soclean too.

I also turned up my humidty and heat and also found that more comfortable.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:25 am

sleepbandit9 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:02 am
I just bought a soclean too.
I don't know which brand machine you are using but you might want to read this. I think Respironics might have something similar.
You very well could void your machine warranty if you use it.
Why did you feel the need? Do you have any extra special immune issues?

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... letter.pdf

You might also want to read this

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-you-n ... in-4171650

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:25 am
sleepbandit9 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:02 am
I just bought a soclean too.
I don't know which brand machine you are using but you might want to read this. I think Respironics might have something similar.
You very well could void your machine warranty if you use it.
Why did you feel the need? Do you have any extra special immune issues?

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... letter.pdf

You might also want to read this

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-you-n ... in-4171650
Oh noooo! I had no idea. I just thought I would buy for convenience. I wonder if I can cancel my order.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:08 am

You know that you really don't save on convenience anyway. You still have to manually remove facial oils, snot, slobber, etc with soap and water. The SoClean device doesn't remove any dirt or grime...just maybe (if you believe it works) nukes stuff so the dirt, grime, snot, slobber, etc is sterile so nothing bad can grow in it.
But you know what...once you touch your stuff you put any potential bugs/bacteria/viruses right back on your equipment anyway.

You should be able to cancel the order and if not they do have a return thing but from what I have heard...they take their own sweet time issuing return authorizations and giving out refunds.