DeVilbiss Humidifier Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

DeVilbiss Humidifier Question

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:48 pm

I am just got my machine today and am trying to figure out how everything works. Unfortunately, I am having trouble understanding the instructions for filling the humidifier and my computer DVD is not working so I can see there is a better explanation there.

I took out the tray and I see two small rectangular openings. Is that where I am supposed to pour the water?

Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

Thanks!

49er

49er

Slartybartfast

Re: DeVilbiss Humidifier Question

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:52 pm

I never read the instructions on that. However, yes, there are two rectangular instructions. I just fill it by holding the humidifier under the tap and fill it to within about an inch of the top of the opening. Then I turn it on its side and rotate it around a little to simulate what might happen if/when the hose yanks the machine off its stand. Then I slide the reservoir in the machine and away I go. I don't know how high you're supposed to fill it. I just fill it every night to that level and have never run out.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks, it just seems like the openings are so small and it is going to be hard to clean.

Actually, the instructions say to use distilled water.

49er

jmcanzo

Post by jmcanzo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:57 pm

the whole chamber opens up and the lid comes off for cleaning. Like a clam shell. I just turn mine up and hold the gallon jug of distilled water to the opening and fill it. not a big deal or hard

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:40 pm

jmcanzo wrote:the whole chamber opens up and the lid comes off for cleaning. Like a clam shell. I just turn mine up and hold the gallon jug of distilled water to the opening and fill it. not a big deal or hard
Actually, it is hard for me due to my visual perceptual and manual dexterity problems. I still have not been able to separate the chamber halves so I can remove the lid. But it looks like I don't have to figure that out until tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the instruction manual is not very helpful at least for me.

49er

jmcanzo

Post by jmcanzo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 am

Sorry... I did not mean to offend you if I did. Yes it I can see it to be challenging with visual perceptual and manual dexterity problems. Maybe you could stand it up on edge in the sink some how and then pour the water in. So what if it spilled, it would be in the sink. You might use a little more distilled water, but it is pretty cheap at least where I am. $0.89 a gallon

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:57 am

jmcanzo wrote:Sorry... I did not mean to offend you if I did. Yes it I can see it to be challenging with visual perceptual and manual dexterity problems. Maybe you could stand it up on edge in the sink some how and then pour the water in. So what if it spilled, it would be in the sink. You might use a little more distilled water, but it is pretty cheap at least where I am. $0.89 a gallon
Thanks, I know you meant no offense. I was overreacting because I heard constantly growing up that tasks I struggled with shouldn't be that hard.

I was also frustrated that there weren't any video instructions that would have been alot more helpful than the instruction manual.

I did essentially follow your advice in getting the water in. But am I correct about the tray being in two pieces and having to get the top off so I can clean it?

Thanks for your patience in answering my questions.

49er

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:17 am

I finally figured it out. I turned it upside and just started pressing on various areas and the top came off.

Next problem - Noise issue which will be another post.

49er

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 am

I have dexterity problems as well. It has to be filled every night because of the limited capacity. I have trouble filling it because of the small openings too.

I really like the Devilbiss machine but not the humidifier so I hooked up my Fisher and Paykel stand alone humidifier and it is great since it is bigger (don't have to fill it every night - just a top off every 2 or 3 days) and MUCH easier for me to fill. I also like that I can preheat the water. This was something I got used to with my old Respironics machine that I started with in 2002. When I got newer machines, (M Series and the PR System One) I started using the Fisher and Paykel stand alone humidifier for the preheat feature and the problems I have with dexterity.

I keep the Devilbiss humidifier packed with my travel/spare Devilbiss but use the Fisher and Paykel in my home setup.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap