EncoreViewer doesn't see my SD card - XP on Parallels

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rogerconnelly

EncoreViewer doesn't see my SD card - XP on Parallels

Post by rogerconnelly » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm

I think I just need a little Windows XP help here community - but let me explain my current predicament

I ordered the official EncoreViewer software - seemed the right thing to do - and it's Windows only but I'm a Mac user - so I decide to install it on Parallels. I try Windows 7 first, but the installer complains about this needing to run on X86 (seems odd to me) so then I try on Windows XP and have success (after having to install a Microsoft .Net Framework - not sure what that was about) - the EncoreViewer software is running just fine for me. Now, you think I'd be all well and good, but unfortunately it seems like XP doesn't like my SanDisk ExpressCard adapter (which works just fine on the OS X side).

So, do I need to buy a Windows XP compatible SD card reader (is the safest bet to just buy the one Respitronics sells) - or can I copy the data off on the Mac side and copy it to something else (maybe a USB drive?) that XP will recognize? I guess what I'm asking here is: just what will the EncoreViewer "recognize" and download data from - because right now for me that button on the EncoreViewer is grayed out

I'm open to any and all advice here - and thanks up front!

milw

Re: EncoreViewer doesn't see my SD card - XP on Parallels

Post by milw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:19 pm

I saw the same issue with XP on VMware Fusion, but I didn't look to closely because I had another PC laptop to use. Unfortunately that one has died and I'd rather do all the analysis on the mac, including oximetry from the CMS 50E. I had intended to look more closely at giving the virtual PC access to all of the mounted drives from the Mac OS, I think that may be the issue. On the real PC you don't have to browse, EncoreViewer just 'knows' and enables that button.

milw

Post by milw » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Yes, as I thought- on VMware, there's a Virtual Machine menu with various devices (CD, HD, USB, etc) that you can connect. For my card reader, under USB it was listed as 'Feiya Generic USB2.0 Card'. I chose 'Connect' , and then it showed up as Removable Disk E: in Explorer. Ran EncoreViewer then, and the Download from Device button is enabled. I don't have Parallels so I can't tell you the exact way to connect the drive but there must be a similar command somewhere...
good luck!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:22 pm

Check this thread (3 pages) to see if it helps.viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62898&p=587900&hili ... ls#p587900

If not get in touch with TalonNYC as he might be able to help.

Also found this discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62591&p=586050&hili ... ls#p586050

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rogerconnelly

Post by rogerconnelly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks everyone for the advice here - it really does help to know I can count on you all.

I unfortunately left out a possibly key piece of information - my Windows XP on Parallels does "see" my sandisk SD card reader - but under Device Manager I get the yellow exclamation point icon on "USB Mass Storage Device" and when I click that it says "This device cannot start (Code 10)". I think if I can get past this it all might work - but I can't seem to find any driver to install, nor can Windows (the reader didn't come with any software).

If I have to I'll follow the advice of switching from Parallels to Bootcamp - but I was hoping to avoid that time investment if I can

Hopefully someone knows what to do in this situation on Windows.

Oh, and to answer the VM Ware vs. Parallels question, Parallels has a "Devices" menu, under which is a USB selection that sees my card reader as "ExpCard Adpt #2", so I think Parallels recognizes the card itself as well.

KenS

Post by KenS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:29 am

Devices attached to your Mac can generally only be mounted to (accessible by) the Mac or the Virtual Machine but not both at the same time. So you need to tell Parallels to mount to your SD card reader. In the Devices menu in Parallels under USB make sure there is a check mark next to the card reader in the list of devices. If there is no check mark, that means Parallels (and the XP Virtual Machine running in it) will not be able to access the device.

I hope this helps.

rogerconnelly

Post by rogerconnelly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks Kens - yes, there is a check mark next to it under Devices/USB in Parallels - I really think this is just a Windows driver thing. I tried booting up Windows 7 and see the same behavior there. I'll be souring the net again today for an updated Windows driver unless someone has better advice

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:14 am

EncorePro 2 does not see my card when I use an adapter. "My Computer" does see it. If I plug the card into a reader (on the side of the computer) EncorePro does see and read it.
Encore Viewer might be the same.

My operating system is Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

rogerconnelly

Post by rogerconnelly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks ClayL - unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a built in SD card reader - that's why I'm using the ExpressCard adapter

rogerconnelly

Post by rogerconnelly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:37 pm

For anyone reading this thread - just wanted to point out that I found a well working Mac alternative on the below thread - so for now I've given up my Windows XP USB troubleshooting and am happily checking my CPAP data natively on my Mac

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66627&st=0&sk=t&sd=a