Does CPAP Therapy Eliminate Snoring ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Physician

Does CPAP Therapy Eliminate Snoring ?

Post by Physician » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Have any of you:

a) made a night time audio recording BEFORE starting CPAP ?

b) made a follow-up recording on CPAP ?

What % of snorers get complete elimination of snoring on CPAP ?

Janknitz

Re: Does CPAP Therapy Eliminate Snoring ?

Post by Janknitz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:53 pm

According to my husband, it has eliminated my snoring. He could no longer sleep in our bed before CPAP. He was a really good sport, having fun buying himself fuzzy footie p.j's (with back flaps) so he could survive nights on our couch next to a big and leaky picture window. But since I started CPAP he reports absolute silence--doesn't even hear the machine.

I do catch myself lightly snoring when I'm half awake, and I have moderately high VS scores on my data. The light snoring is kind of nasal, not those deep back throat suction snores and seems to be related to nasal congestion. But my husband does not hear a thing.

His hearing isn't the greatest. At his last tympannogram he asked the tech when he was going to need hearing aids, and she answered "Your wife will tell you".
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

elena88

Post by elena88 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:03 pm

I would love to stick mine on my husband to find out.

then the dogs...

I started with no snoring in my sleep study, and flat line in my graphs, so I must not be snoring...

but give me a couple amstel lights, some allergies, and I bet I could give the apap a challange..

I dont think you are supposed to be snoring at all on your cpap, is that correct?

did anyone notice apap is "papa " spelled backwards?

who has taped their snoring? This is a facinating thread, thanks physician!

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 pm

I used to be locally famous for my snoring. Hunting buddies said it was like the sound of a poorly tuned chainsaw taken to a tin shed. Scared all the game away for miles so there was nothing to hunt. Altered elk migration patterns in three states, they said. Remington tried to pay me to take up golf. EPA even sent me a "Cease and Desist" letter. At home, cats would sleep in other end of the house. My retriever developed bags under his eyes from lack of sleep and was mistaken for a bloodhound. Wife ran off with a coworker. 10 years later, new wife (the one I should have married 25 years ago) said I snore loudly.

After sleep study and CPAP (at New Wife's prodding) she says she has to watch me carefully to see whether I'm breathing. ResScan shows flat line on "snore index." The dog no longer demands hot coffee in the morning. Cats now sleep on my bed again and hiss if either one gets too much attention from me.

Life is good!

Tape? Don't need no stinkin' tape!

Astrophytum

Post by Astrophytum » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 pm

Oh yes, it helps!

I have snored very hard without APAP. Now I sleeping very silent, no snoring more.

But, my cats are slept in my bed all this time I have snored...my poor cats...

Regards,
Astrophytum

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 am

My husband reports "no snoring" since I began cpap 8 years ago! Befire that he would say it was like a chainsaw and he couldn't sleep because he had to stack the wood all night or we would not be able to get into the bedroom!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:39 am

No more snoring here since I started using apap at the right pressure setting. Once in a great while I will doze off watching TV and will wake myself up snoring within minutes (dare I say seconds) after falling asleep. Just like old times.

rosie

jabman

Post by jabman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:01 am

I was a pretty loud snorer but I no longer snore according to my wife.

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

B_4

Post by B_4 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:03 am

My snoring was reported to have peeled the paint off of the walls in the bedroom and cracked the foundation. No complaints from Mrs. b_4 now that I am on CPAP, I I am just on day 4.

Mammal

Post by Mammal » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:10 am

My software indicates that I only tend to snore, when I have large leaks, which are very rare anyway.

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:40 am

Nope not since I got the new Bi-pap and had my pressures adjusted again, BF reports no more snoring and no more whistling mask with the Swift LT for her. I only snore if i doze off without it.

RLS is another story the Now if we could the RLS to act up when im having a sleep test we might get everything conqured, but since it didn't act up the nights of my sleep tests dr wont perscribe anything. Since its not consistent.

SleepTechulous

Post by SleepTechulous » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:44 am

snoring is a partial obstruction. Positive Air Pressure clears obstructions. Do the math.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:45 am

The mac truck has departed. My daughter came home at 3 am about 2 weeks after I got my cpap machine and shook me awake thinking I had died because for the first time in her life I was not vibrating the walls.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 am

I still snore. But compared to prior to therapy I am absolutely silent. But then you need to understand that prior to therapy I snored so loudly the kids *literally* woke up screaming. My wife says it is noticable, but not so severe that it causes any breathing problems. And certainly is not so severe that she complains at all. In fact, she checks to see if I am breathing, since it is so much quieter most of the time.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Mary T

Post by Mary T » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:11 am

My daughter stayed with me last week and told me she did not hear me snoring at all, whereas before i got cpap machine, she said I snored so loud. I also woke myself up and heard myself snore before cpap and its embarassing haha!

Until i found a good chin stap, with cpap i used to have some bubbles of air gurgle a bit out of my mouth, like a bubble of air came thru my throat and out my mouth but it was a gentle gurgle.

I am sleeping so much better, waking up with so much energy, I'm off work now coz of surgery, but I can't wait to get back to work to try out my new energy from sleeping all night.