My 1st Airline Travel with Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Snoozing Gonzo

My 1st Airline Travel with Cpap

Post by Snoozing Gonzo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:04 am

Travel with Xpap is a fairly common topic here. I thought I'd toss in my recent experiences into CPAPATALK .com's "For What its Worth" bin.

I traveled from Western Montana through Denver to Boston this past Sunday and came back Wednesday night. I recently purchased an Aeio Aura Everest (Invacare Polaris TR) for such travel. Although I have a ways to before I get used to some of the Aura air delivery characteristics it worked fine and is very light weight for running through large airports. It comes with a padded travel bag and fits easily into overstuffed overhead bins.

As carry-on I had the Aura (Cpap and humidifier only - left the battery at home), hose that came with the Aura (checked the heated hose), a mask, and the power supply. I also had a copy of my perscription and a copy of TSA rules mentioning CPAP. I had a briefcase as a second carry-on.

My local small airport and Logan International treated the Cpap the same. They took it and the power supply aside, wiped the units down with their little pads and sent them back through x-ray. Both examiners were careful, changed into new gloves, and used a new pad, all without being asked. The only difference between the checks was the examiner at my airport followed the pad wipe with a soft paper towel off of a roll. The process was quick and seemed routine. Both times it was done by the time I got my shoes on and other carry-on stuff gathered.

Chris

"Breathe deep. Seek peace."
(James Gurney, Dinotopia)

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:41 am

Thanks for the info. I'm flying to Pheonix next Wednesday and it will be my first flight with the CPAP. Only problem I might have is the machine was provided by the VA and I have never seen, nor could I obtain a prescription for it. But where can one obtain a copy of the TSA rules mentioning CPAP?

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP, Prescription

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:52 am

Go to the TSA website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... index.shtm and click on the link to the pdf file, "Change in Allowances for Persons with Disabilities at Airport Security Checkpoints". You'll see that cpap machines are specifically mentioned (even though we might dispute calling sleep apnea a disability).

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Okay, I read it....................but don't see how taking a copy of it would be of any help in getting our CPAP machines through security. I think security people know what these are and will check them. If I've missed something, let me know.

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:06 pm

You shouldn't have to carry a copy of your perscription or the TSA rules. The rules are clear - you can carry the cpap on the plane as an additional (at least in the US) carry on. Carrying a copy of the rule, if you want to, is just a matter of the old belt and suspenders.

Depending on the airport, TSA security will either check it out as described above or, in some instances, not bother after it's gone through the x-ray machine. I've had similar (positive) security experiences internationally.

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:18 pm

Okay, thanks. I was afraid there might be some kind of hold-up by carrying the machines on the aircraft. I haven't flown since befor 9-11 and don't actually know what to expect. Thanks for getting back with me.
Chris

Adoptivma

Post by Adoptivma » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:20 pm

I just flew international with my cpap and had no problem. (Went from O'hare to Miami to Curacao). Sure they were meticulous about screening it - which was fine with me. I was allowed the extra carryon for the CPAP without a problem at all - didn't need the prescription or rules. Just as a precaution, I did phone American Airlines before our trip to make absolutely sure I could bring it on as an additional carry on and they confirmed it.
One thing I did do because I was traveling to another country, was to bring a voltage regulator/converter with as I was told that sometimes in the islands, the power can fluctuate and this would serve to regulate it so there would be no damaging surges. It also served as a converter, so it made things easy. It was a bit of a pain to bring it with, but I have lost a fairly new CPAP in the past to a blown transformer in the neighborhood, apparently the surge was too much for it because it fried the board inside. I didn't want to take a chance and be without my CPAP while on vacation.

There is never a safe amount of alcohol that a pregnant woman can consume. If you want to know more, ask me about Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. The warnings on the bottles & cans of alcohol don't tell you everything..

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:46 pm

So what you are saying is with a CPAP we can carry 3 items on the plane?

Chris

KimberlyinMN

Post by KimberlyinMN » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:22 pm

Adoptivma wrote:I just flew international with my cpap and had no problem. (Went from O'hare to Miami to Curacao). Sure they were meticulous about screening it - which was fine with me. I was allowed the extra carryon for the CPAP without a problem at all - didn't need the prescription or rules. Just as a precaution, I did phone American Airlines before our trip to make absolutely sure I could bring it on as an additional carry on and they confirmed it.
One thing I did do because I was traveling to another country, was to bring a voltage regulator/converter with as I was told that sometimes in the islands, the power can fluctuate and this would serve to regulate it so there would be no damaging surges. It also served as a converter, so it made things easy. It was a bit of a pain to bring it with, but I have lost a fairly new CPAP in the past to a blown transformer in the neighborhood, apparently the surge was too much for it because it fried the board inside. I didn't want to take a chance and be without my CPAP while on vacation.
I was JUST wondering about international travel. I just found out that we are going to Mexico in March (all expense paid by my husband's employer). Where did you buy the voltage regulator/converter? I would never have thought about that.

Thanks!

Kimberly

Snoozing Gonzo

Post by Snoozing Gonzo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:31 am

Sleepy-Eyes, You are not required to have your prescription or the TSA rules. I took them based on advice I read here although that advice is aged back to some of the "new" rules. No one asked to see any paperwork so I probably won't go out of my way to bring them again.

Even in my small airport they acted as though Cpap is part of the routine. They mentioned that the bigger, older machines had enough vacant space that the x-ray could see shapes and they wouldn't always hand check them. The newer, smaller machines are denser and are routinely checked - at least here.

Even if you can take three carry-on bags, remember you have to find a place to store. Not an easy task on crowded flights especially on smaller planes. You also have to carry that stuff running through crowded airports.

The voltage regulator is a good idea. I'm guessing a Radio Shack or Best Buy might be a place to check unless Cpap.com has them.

"Breathe deep. Seek peace."
(James Gurney, Dinotopia)

Sleepy-eyes

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:55 am

Thanks for the info.
Chris

mattman

Post by mattman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:03 am

Way back in the Dark Ages of my life I was a Radio Shack manager.

I have always suggested to folks if ever you are travelling out of the country saunter on down to your local Radio Shack.

TAKE THE EQUIPMENT WITH YOU!!

Bring it in and tell them where you are going and that you need a plug adapter and a voltage converter.

That way they can actually get the specific info off the device and get you the correct converter.

By the way, this same advice also goes for getting a DC to AC inverter for plugging stuff into a cigarette lighter outlet.

In both cases, getting the wrong adapter CAN lead to stuff not working (in the best case) or flat-out destroying the item and potentially being a fire hazard (in the worst case).

mattman

puffing billy

Post by puffing billy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:36 am

If you intend to travel to Europe you will definately require an adaptor as we are 230V.
The UK use a a rectangular 3 pin plug.

Billy

CPAP travel

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:57 am

Just picked up this thread. I travel a lot with my cpap machine. Mostly US, asia (china/taiwan/japan) and have never have a problem - never have a prescription along. Sometimes airport security opens the bags and inspects the machine. Usually not, though a few agents have told me it is required that they inspect cpap machines. Seems inconsistent. I use the goodnight 420e for travel. It has a universal power brick that accepts any voltage and frequency and I have not had trouble using it anywhere. Check your unit for its voltage requirements. I also carry a set of outlet converters just in case. Rarely have to use them. I recommend carrying a short cheap extension cord since many hotels don't think to have power available bedside. Hope this helps.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:56 pm

I keep a copy of the cpap scrip as well as copies of the heart meds I use so I don't end up wishing I had them while I'm in some far away town. TSA has it pretty much down at this point but if you leave the country (even to Canada) it gets a bit less reliable, they don't have to follow rules in a lot of places. Hey Chris, where are you out of? I'm in Missoula (at least part of the time) and co-incidentally I also travel with the Everest.