M series noisy?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gregnga

M series noisy?

Post by gregnga » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:18 am

I have been off this board for about 8 or 9 months. About a year ago, one of the complaints about the M Series was the fact that it was noisier then it's predecessor (aka the tank).

Is this still an issue?

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:34 am

Seems to depend on the individual machine. Some have reported it being a bit noiser than the Tank. I have two "M"'s and while I have never had a Classic model I can't imagine that they could be much less. Sometime I think I can hear the movement of the air but I never really hear the machine.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:40 am

I think it's dependent on the individual user's hearing and tolerance, as well. I've never used a tank, so I can't compare the two.

I found it (Series M) loud at first, but got used to the whooshing sound. Now it's developed a very faint high-pitched whine, which I can only detect if it's pretty quiet. I am attuned to that pitch, because I have asthma, and I was worried it was ME that was wheezing. Now I think it's the machine. I don't know why it's wheezing, but it doesn't appear to affect the function, so I'm living with it.

Yes, I changed my filters.

LOL,
Babs

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Oh yes, the M Series sounds like a train coming down the tracks!
I can't see how anyone can sleep with all that noise!

KenS

Post by KenS » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:21 pm

In August 2006, I purchased an M Series Auto directly from Respironics in the UK when they first came out here (which was several months after they were released for sale in the US). It has a whine noise that is a bit annoying, but I sleep with a fan on for white noise (I have never been able to sleep in a completely silent room), which mostly drones it out.

In March of 2007, I purchased the identical machine from CPAP.com to use as a back-up. The newer machine is noticeably quieter (almost silent) and I now use that as my daily unit and keep the older one on hand if I ever need a backup.

I don't know if the newer units are quieter than the original ones, or if they vary among production runs, but there is a clear noise difference between my two machines.

papdaddy

Post by papdaddy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:25 pm

M series in my experience , is a little bit louder than the "tank" . The tank has a more soothing faint sound. M series took a little getting used to. IMO.

rider829

Post by rider829 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:32 pm

I cannot even hear my MSERIES!!!!

engrdad

Post by engrdad » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:30 pm

rider829 wrote:I cannot even hear my MSERIES!!!!
Just got my 'M' series today. Once the RT connected the hose & mask, I could not hear anything (and I tried to listen closely)...

deepurpleprincess

Post by deepurpleprincess » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:46 pm

It's not noisy at all. At first the sound of the machine matching your breathing is heard, but then I got used to it. Plus I sleep with a fan so it's no big deal.

gl

Post by gl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:48 pm

I've been away from the board for awhile too, been waiting for a message thread I felt I could really contribute to.

I started with a tank, used it for about six months, then bought an M about nine months ago. The M definitely makes more noise but it's something you get accustomed to. One thing I did find is the M seems to be louder the higher the pressure is whereas the tank seems to be more consistent. When I first started using the M I had the pressure set to 13-15 and initially found the noise to be on the verge of being annoying. After a month or so I dropped my pressure to 11-14 and found that small drop to make a noticeable difference in sound. Recently I've dropped the pressure to 10-12 and I find that now I can barely hear it.

glfredrick

Post by glfredrick » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Once I fall asleep...

I FALL ASLEEP!!! (sorry... )

I never hear it unless the mask leaks.

My wife (who now also FALLS ASLEEP!) says that the machine is silent, and I'm sure that she would be the first to let me know if it were not.

GeneS

Post by GeneS » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:56 pm

I only heard the mseries at the sellers location. I know it is quiet when it is running at a constant pressure that is not to high. My problem is that I run at a higher pressure so exhilation relief will probably be used. I understand that the tank type motor runs at a constant speed and that a vent door opens and closes to vary the pressure. You do not hear the motor speed up and slow down. I think the mseries has a variable speed motor and makes noise when it changes speed to vary pressure. I bought a DeVilbiss a few years ago and my wife could not stand the motor speed changes. Every time I breathed in it speeded up and every time I exhaled it slowed down. She says my old type machines make a constant white noise that she likes when she sleeps. I shelved the DeVilbiss and stayed in the bedroom. I am using a Tank auto cflex now but also plan to get a tank auto bipap if I still can. The bipap goes to 25 cm while the cpap is limited to 20. I am going to avoid variable speed motors as long as I can. At least that is how I understand it.
GeneS

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:19 pm

I just got an M-series Auto with A-flex... it is quiter than my REMstar with C-flex.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 pm

A lot of it is "luck of the draw", imho.

Of the two bipap autos I have, the M is louder. The older pre-M is very quiet.

I've had several "same models" of other machines. Had a 420E that was noisy and another 420E that is very quiet.

Had a REMstar Auto that was whiny for the first 4 or 5 months, then because quiet, with nothing changed. Had another REMstar Auto that was quiet all along.

Luck of the draw.

If I had to bet though, I'd bet on the chances of getting a quieter pre-M machine than an M.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

GreenIce

Post by GreenIce » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:33 pm

When I start using my APAP, I do notice the noise when the pressure gone higher. After awhile, I no longer aware the noise. However my current mask (Switft II) is much more noisy than APAP.