Skin sensitivities, please help :)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Duke3rn

Skin sensitivities, please help :)

Post by Duke3rn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:17 pm

I have very sensitive skin which includes being allergic to latex. I'm newly diagnosed (Since Feb'16) and have just purchased my ResMed Autoset for Her which in itself seems to be doing fine. However my struggle is trying to a) find a mask that fits and b) find a mask that doesn't make my skin break out! I trialled the Swift FX for her Nasal Pillow and the Dreamwear under the nose mask. Neither fit right and both slide off during the night. I tried a face mask (over the nose) but awoke with a red outline from the mask on my face... not because of tightness. So I am looking for any suggestions that you might be able to offer. I have a little face and see the Wisp seems to be very popular but none of them are ok unless I can figure out how to manage the skin issues.... HELP!!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Skin sensitivities, please help :)

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Try a mask liner, like from Pad a Cheek.
Soft fabric next to your skin helps with whatever is causing your sensitivities.
FYI, there is no latex in cpap masks or seals, but sweat or soil could be an issue.
A last minute swipe with an unscented baby wipe helps with the seal, and any skin condition.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:58 pm

The material in masks is silicone, not latex.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:13 pm

Duke3rn wrote:I have very sensitive skin which includes being allergic to latex.
no latex.... none. like others have said.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Duke3rn

Post by Duke3rn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks for the tips. I do realize that the masks are latex free, it just seems my skin is not liking silicone either. I've seen cloth masks and am curious about them or whether there is sometime of barrier cream available. I want to be compliant but waking up lots with a leaking mask and then red sores on my face is not at all appealing in making me want to achieve that!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:21 pm

It is easy to make some quick mask liners. Use a well wash t-shirt and cut out a shape of the mask, then cut a small hole. Try it on and enlarge hole until it fits comfortably. Make pattern of the liner you made so you can quickly make more.

The first time I wore a mask it was like my skin got burnt where it touched. A cloth liner makes all the difference. Some skins do not like being sealed under a mask.
At worst case I have used tissue papers ripped into shape when I forgot my liners travelling.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Since you already have the Swift FX headgear, you can order the Nano nasal piece that goes with it. I found it stays in place better than the Swift Fx pillows. Go to http://www.padacheek.com and get the matching pads and covers. None of the mask touches my face, it is totally covered in pads and liner.

flightco

Post by flightco » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:01 pm

I thought my skin was sensitive, I usually take a shower in the afternoon and figured that was it for washing my face, I ended up with teenage size pimples on my nose (hadn't had these in 30- 40 years). Read on here about baby wipes and use them every night about 10 minutes before putting my mask on (now using Kirkland pre-moistened facial wipes) and have not had a problem for months now. I think the oil needs to be removed right before putting your mask on.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:39 pm

If you want to try making a liner for a full face mask, I got my pattern from this site: http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/diy-cotton-mask-liner.pdf
This is a small size liner. It can be enlarged if necessary. You can make the center hole any size you need. The hole will stretch out when the ask is put on.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:22 pm

I like the cloth masks, but they are more expensive over all (insurance often doesn't cover or DME doesn't carry) and they are louder. You definitely get the darth vadar sound, but hey, it's like a white noise to me and I get to sleep fine with it. I normally listen to 'bedtime classical' music or forest sounds to cut out ambient sounds outside, so it's not new to me.

I like both the Circadian nose mask with Zephyr seal and the Elan. My main problem beside the darth vadar sound is a tendency to get air leaks in my eyes. This appears to be a face shape issue as many people have reported NOT getting that problem. I would suggest getting one or both masks from our sponsor and getting the return insurance. That way, if it doesn't work for you, you can return it. My primary mask has been an Airfit P10, but because of a large head, the mask is a bit tight and hurts my nose. I too love the Swift, but it also slides up the back of my head. I'm determined to solve that problem because this is my permanent go-to mask since it does not hurt my nose and my cat is finally used to it.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:16 pm

How about the P10 and a barrel cozy from pad a cheek, that's what I use and it stopped my 'under the nose' skin peeling.

Jane Jetson

Post by Jane Jetson » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I had similar but not as bad problems after about a month. I work up with the red triangle on my face and small zits around the corner of my mouth. I also had a problem with drooling. Yuk I know. I am a mouth breather and my mask pushes my lower lip just enough so that I am comfortable and breather through my nose. I don't have any good advice except to say my problems seem to have resolved themselves.