Cpap wakes me up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newname

Cpap wakes me up

Post by newname » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm

I wake up several times during the night from the air blowing in my throat. It makes me cough uncontrollably as it "tickles" my tonsils.
The mask is okay so I don't know why I have these problems. Maybe I just can't get comfortable because I'm used to sleeping on my stomach/side.
I usually feel so much better when I take the mask off and get comfortable.
I wonder if its really true that apnea caused health problems. Science is always coming up with new theories and changing their previous finding. An example would be how they change ideas on chocolate, coffee, etc. Somedays these are bad for you and other days they are good for you!!
Someday they might find out cpap is bad for your lungs, who knows.
I agree with bworthey and I sleep better without cpap.

Hawthorne

Re: Cpap wakes me up

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Lots of people with sleep apnea sleep on their side(s) or stomachs. Do a search.

It sounds like you are mouth breathing. If that's the case, your therapy is not getting to your lungs but rather is going out of your mouth into the bedroom! Not a lot of help for your sleep apnea.

You don't say what mask you are using so it's hard to help you.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

newname

Post by newname » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:21 am

I use the activa LT

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 am

You may be mouth breathing since the ActivaLT is a nasal mask. You may need a full face mask.

What machine are you using and at what pressure setting?

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:39 am

I find that with using the Activa LT, I have to tape my mouth shut and wear a chinstrap. The tape keeps the air from escaping out of my mouth, but it does not keep my jaw from falling when I actually do fall asleep. When my jaw falls down, the shape of my face changes and leaks occur at the lower corners of my mask. The leaks wake me up and I still have leaks even with the tape and chinstrap. The mask and chinstrap combo is uncomfortable enough that it is hard to get to sleep and harder to stay asleep.

Having said that, I will continute to mask, tape and strap up every night because I have seen sections of my PSG that show that I have had apneas that last over two minutes, causing my oxygen levels to fall to dangerous levels. I want desperately to be able to sleep through the night and wake up refreshed as so many people report here. But, at least, I'm waking up alive. (So far).

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:54 am

newname wrote:
I wonder if its really true that apnea caused health problems. Science is always coming up with new theories and changing their previous finding. An example would be how they change ideas on chocolate, coffee, etc. Somedays these are bad for you and other days they are good for you!!
Someday they might find out cpap is bad for your lungs, who knows.
I agree with bworthey and I sleep better without cpap.
I wouldn't count on it. I have seen too many stories on here where people had high blood pressure and/or diabetes and good CPAP therapy helped. I know it reduced my BP. I had been tracking it anyway and it was an obvious downward shift after I started CPAP.

newname

Post by newname » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 pm

My machine is an autopap. I think people here refer to it as the tank.
I tried the Ruby chinstrap but its so tight. I called to request an extra large and they are trying to see if they can order it.
I don't know why the air is "tickling my throat" and waking me up.
What is the most comfortable mouth tape to use?

LaurieJ31981

Post by LaurieJ31981 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:51 pm

newname wrote: I agree with bworthey and I sleep better without cpap.
You may think you "sleep" better without CPAP, but if you have sleep apnea, then you are damaging your body by not using it. It may be more comfortable to just lay down, not worry about the mask and go to sleep. But how much sleep are you really getting? Work out the kinks, find out if you need a full face mask. Try taping it works wonders for me... Complete change in my numbers after I started using the tape.

Sleep Apnea has caused my blood pressure to go up, and my heart race at night. It's scary! The mask is nothing compared to worrying about the thought of dying in my sleep.

You'll get it all figured out... but don't stop using the machine, if it's needed.

Original AHI- 113, with 68% Oxygen saturation- That is scary!

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 pm

When's the last time that you either checked or changed your filters?

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:30 pm

I noticed that for me as well. Even when I have gotten sleep with the CPAP, I woke up after 2 to 4 hours. Never got more than 4 hours with it and always woke up feeling exhausted. Normally I don't wake up too early, but the CPAP made me wake up really early on the very few occasions I was able to use it. So it's always been a lose, lose situation and I continue to suffer everyday. What causes one to wake up too early with the CPAP machine?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:20 pm

Enchanter wrote:I noticed that for me as well. Even when I have gotten sleep with the CPAP, I woke up after 2 to 4 hours. Never got more than 4 hours with it and always woke up feeling exhausted. Normally I don't wake up too early, but the CPAP made me wake up really early on the very few occasions I was able to use it. So it's always been a lose, lose situation and I continue to suffer everyday. What causes one to wake up too early with the CPAP machine?
Replaying the oldies, or you ran out of new material, to continue your soap opera. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:15 am

Goofproof wrote:
Enchanter wrote:I noticed that for me as well. Even when I have gotten sleep with the CPAP, I woke up after 2 to 4 hours. Never got more than 4 hours with it and always woke up feeling exhausted. Normally I don't wake up too early, but the CPAP made me wake up really early on the very few occasions I was able to use it. So it's always been a lose, lose situation and I continue to suffer everyday. What causes one to wake up too early with the CPAP machine?
Replaying the oldies, or you ran out of new material, to continue your soap opera. Jim
round and round, like the wheels on a bicycle.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Goofproof wrote:

Shut up
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Go away.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:07 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Go away.

Shut up you worthless human being
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier