Can an ENT make a difference?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enchanter

Can an ENT make a difference?

Post by Enchanter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:26 pm

Hate to throw another fit, but therapy has not been going for me. Been trying the nasal masks and I couldn't use it because I need my mouth to breathe. Been trying the full faced mask. Not comfortable and cannot sleep. I have a hard time sleeping at regular hours even without a mask. With a mask, it is impossible. I go 48 hours without sleep and then can only sleep without the mask. I cannot sleep with the mask.

I'm gonna go in for another mask refit tomorrow (If I can wake up by noon) but I don't have any faith that I can tolerate this therapy. I know that I probably will need to struggle another 6 months for this before my PCP considers another therapy, but why struggle for 6 more months when the outcome is 100 percent without a doubt obvious? I cannot sleep and I think part of my problem must be from my breathing disorder at night.

If I see an ENT, how might they make a positive difference? I will try ANYTHING at this point. I can't continue living like this, feeling tired everyday, not being able to sleep at regular time, headaches all the time. I can't live like this anymore. I'm sorry for throwing another fit, but I am trying.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Julie

Re: Can an ENT make a difference?

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:26 pm

See PM

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:40 pm

The treatment for sleep disordered breathing is xPAP therapy. If you can't tolerate it, you will continue to decline as far as your health goes. If you want to improve you need to find a way to tolerate the therapy.

The ANYTHING you can try is to find a mask that is comfortable and use it.

That's it.

On, there is an alternative... a tracheotomy.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Enchanter wrote:Hate to throw another fit, but therapy has not been going for me. Been trying the nasal masks and I couldn't use it because I need my mouth to breathe. Been trying the full faced mask. Not comfortable and cannot sleep. I have a hard time sleeping at regular hours even without a mask. With a mask, it is impossible. I go 48 hours without sleep and then can only sleep without the mask. I cannot sleep with the mask.

I'm gonna go in for another mask refit tomorrow (If I can wake up by noon) but I don't have any faith that I can tolerate this therapy. I know that I probably will need to struggle another 6 months for this before my PCP considers another therapy, but why struggle for 6 more months when the outcome is 100 percent without a doubt obvious? I cannot sleep and I think part of my problem must be from my breathing disorder at night.

If I see an ENT, how might they make a positive difference? I will try ANYTHING at this point. I can't continue living like this, feeling tired everyday, not being able to sleep at regular time, headaches all the time. I can't live like this anymore. I'm sorry for throwing another fit, but I am trying.
Success rates vary but do definitely get some ENT opinions. I'm 3 weeks out of surgery and off the CPAP. I, like you, couldn't deal with it. 50% of CPAP trials, fail so ENT is an alternative. If you want to read more see my post, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109221&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90 or send me private message.
Last edited by Too tall on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:23 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:The treatment for sleep disordered breathing is xPAP therapy. If you can't tolerate it, you will continue to decline as far as your health goes. If you want to improve you need to find a way to tolerate the therapy.

That's it.

This is incorrect. Many more options besides tracheotomy.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:36 pm

You're apparently not familiar with the OP, and don't realize that his problems are not that Cpap won't work but that he doesn't sleep due to psychological problems. Which is why encouraging surgery right now would be a mistake.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:45 pm

Julie wrote:You're apparently not familiar with the OP, and don't realize that his problems are not that Cpap won't work but that he doesn't sleep due to psychological problems. Which is why encouraging surgery right now would be a mistake.
I don't know the particulars of anyone here and really don't want to past judgement based on forum chit chat. Nonetheless, the advise of hose crusher is flat out wrong and would do anyone a disservice regardless of their mental state.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:05 pm

I stand by my comments directed specifically toward Enchanter.

Others may have other options but Enchanter is a special case that doesn't lend itself to other options.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:08 pm

You're completely irresponsible.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:19 pm

And so it begins, Chapter 20, copy of the first 19 chapters. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Julie wrote:You're apparently not familiar with the OP, and don't realize that his problems are not that Cpap won't work but that he doesn't sleep due to psychological problems. Which is why encouraging surgery right now would be a mistake.

You don't know that it's from psychological problems. Correlation doesn't equal causation. Yes it's true I used to take Seroquel and that drug put me to sleep instantly. And without it, I've never been able to sleep easily. But that doesn't mean that it's directly a psychological problem. I'm thinking it could be more of a breathing problem and inability to relax.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Too tall wrote:
Enchanter wrote:Hate to throw another fit, but therapy has not been going for me. Been trying the nasal masks and I couldn't use it because I need my mouth to breathe. Been trying the full faced mask. Not comfortable and cannot sleep. I have a hard time sleeping at regular hours even without a mask. With a mask, it is impossible. I go 48 hours without sleep and then can only sleep without the mask. I cannot sleep with the mask.

Success rates vary but do definitely get some ENT opinions. I'm 3 weeks out of surgery and off the CPAP. I, like you, couldn't deal with it. 50% of CPAP trials, fail so ENT is an alternative. If you want to read more see my post, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109221&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90 or send me private message.

Thanks. So keep an open mind?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:The treatment for sleep disordered breathing is xPAP therapy. If you can't tolerate it, you will continue to decline as far as your health goes. If you want to improve you need to find a way to tolerate the therapy.

That's it.

If I can't tolerate it, it's not my fault. I'm scheduled for another mask refit tomorrow. But as time goes on and the same thing keeps happening over and over, it's not my fault.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 pm

Goofproof wrote:And so it begins, Chapter 20, copy of the first 19 chapters. Jim

It's not my fault. I don't choose this suffering. I am trying. What else can I do?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:43 pm

Enchanter wrote:
Too tall wrote:

Thanks. So keep an open mind?
I don't frequent this forum very often because of some of the biased busy bodies that sit around waiting to pounce on people. I've been the target of that myself so I guess I have mental problems also. Apparently a cpap makes some people really mad at the world? I won't judge you, talk to an ENT, several of them.