I picked up BiPap from Apria (different mask than expected)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hpm08161947

Re: I picked up BiPap from Apria (different mask than expected)

Post by hpm08161947 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Enchanter wrote:6 am again. Haven't slept. So the mask has been making it even harder/impossible for me to get to sleep at all. Not sure what to do. Sure, it's early, but I don't really see how I can adjust to this, sleep was already hard. I don't know which direction to take. Do I tell Apria? See the doctor? Tell him I can't sleep? At this point, I don't think it's the mask. I just don't think I tolerate any amount of pressure well. Inhaling and exhaling is a challenge. Also, I know that when I'm tired, I can only sleep if I move around a lot and then I eventually sleep on the side. With the mask, I can't sleep on my side. So really don't know what to do.
When do you normally feel sleepy? You know..... yawn ...stretch... feel like going to bed? I ask this because I wonder what time your "Biological Clock" is set to. If I read you correctlly it sounds like you feel like sleeping about 5 AM.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:30 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:
Enchanter wrote:6 am again. Haven't slept. So the mask has been making it even harder/impossible for me to get to sleep at all. Not sure what to do. Sure, it's early, but I don't really see how I can adjust to this, sleep was already hard. I don't know which direction to take. Do I tell Apria? See the doctor? Tell him I can't sleep? At this point, I don't think it's the mask. I just don't think I tolerate any amount of pressure well. Inhaling and exhaling is a challenge. Also, I know that when I'm tired, I can only sleep if I move around a lot and then I eventually sleep on the side. With the mask, I can't sleep on my side. So really don't know what to do.
When do you normally feel sleepy? You know..... yawn ...stretch... feel like going to bed? I ask this because I wonder what time your "Biological Clock" is set to. If I read you correctlly it sounds like you feel like sleeping about 5 AM.
Yea it is around there. I probably didn't sleep until 10 am, but wasn't able to sleep with the mask. So this is a problem. When I finally fell asleep, well I don't remember. But I could not do it with the mask.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Lucyhere wrote:

Many have experienced the problems you are having right now. It might help if you read posts on here from people who had similar issues. You asked if you should tell your doctor how you feel. My answer is an absolute Yes! I would get any help I could get if I found myself in your position. I'd bug anyone who might help -- your doctor, your DME, a psychologist -- anyone who understands what sleep apnea is. A gentle sleeping pill might also help you to get to sleep during this adjustment period. I'm also wondering why your doctor went straight to bipap and not cpap. It's a good idea for you to know the answer to that question; it will give you more understanding about ýour' apnea. I hope you make taking care of yourself the biggest priority in your life.

Lucy, I don't think I can sleep at a normal time. I used to take medications several years ago. Seroquel. It would put me to sleep in 15 minutes and I'd sleep all the time. I don't have that anymore because it gave me bad side effects. Now I don't sleep for many, many hours after I go in bed. I also move around a lot in bed. But with the mask, it's almost impossible. Sleep was already hard. I just can't fall in bed and sleep. This has been going on for years and years. I don't know what hope there is left because the mask only makes it seemingly impossible. Even the last 2 days I fell asleep between 7am and 10 am, but wasn't able to fall asleep with the mask. I don't see how I'm ever going to live a normal life like this. Is there perhaps a permanent pill he could give me for sleep? Because this isn't something I can just control.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Put the damn mask on when you go to bed and keep it on. Tough love.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Enchanter - you told me you want to get better, but when I suggested a couple of ideas you didn't really respond to them, went back to the forum and complained about the mask, or this and that... you're getting scattered again, not addressing one specific problem (e.g. insomnia) at a time in a focused way, one step at a time. I offered to talk to your MD, and you seem to have dropped that (you're allowed, but you're not coming back with a better plan) and now you're going in circles again. DO you want to get better or just screw around here?

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Cardsfan wrote:Put the damn mask on when you go to bed and keep it on. Tough love.

I have been putting the dam mask on. Leaving it on for more hours than the people that actually sleep with it. I keep on saying this.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Julie wrote:Enchanter - you told me you want to get better, but when I suggested a couple of ideas you didn't really respond to them, went back to the forum and complained about the mask, or this and that... you're getting scattered again, not addressing one specific problem (e.g. insomnia) at a time in a focused way, one step at a time. I offered to talk to your MD, and you seem to have dropped that (you're allowed, but you're not coming back with a better plan) and now you're going in circles again. DO you want to get better or just screw around here?

Well you were talking about some condition I don't think I have. But Julie, I cannot sleep. So even if everything else was perfect, how do I get benefit from the mask if I cannot sleep? There are many issues and I don't know what to do. Kinda confused. You're saying I'm screwing around, but if putting on the mask for 10 hours in bed isn't trying, I don't know what is.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:20 pm

When you are asleep- do you have the mask on?

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Enchanter,

If you can't sleep with the mask, what about asking your doctor for a sleep aid like ambien? If he refuses, ask him to recommend an OTC sleep remedy that you can purchase.

49er

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm wondering how you finally got your machine? Did someone help you, like a friend?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:39 pm

"but I can't sleep". Well that's insomnia, and I suggested a couple of ways to address it, but you don't want to follow through. What conditions do you think you don't have?

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:47 pm

49er wrote:Enchanter,

If you can't sleep with the mask, what about asking your doctor for a sleep aid like ambien? If he refuses, ask him to recommend an OTC sleep remedy that you can purchase.

49er

Does Ambien stop working after a while? Cuz that would defeat the purpose. Is it good long term 49er?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Feeling of Deja vu....Remember the movie "Ground Hog Day?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:27 pm

LSAT wrote:Feeling of Deja vu....Remember the movie "Ground Hog Day?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/
Yup ! That and also Albert Einstein's quote about doing the same thing.................

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:34 pm

This is just so sad.