Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WWu777

Re: Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions

Post by WWu777 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:09 pm
booksfan wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:44 pm
I do have to say, the Wisp is the only mask that I could not even tolerate for one night...I don't think I made it 2 hours with that one. I HATED it!
I made it all of 90 minutes with the Wisp. Longest 90 minutes of my life too. Thought for sure it must have been close to 5 hours with the damn thing before off it came and the old mask (I think Swift FX or P10 back then as it was some years ago when the Wisp was first released) went back on and I went back to sleep. Next morning...used the software and saw 90 minutes was all I had before the change.

But some folks swear by it...me, I just swear at it. :lol:
Why was the Wisp mask uncomfortable? What about it was uncomfortable? Did you use the one that covers your nose with a triangle piece? Or the one that has nose plugs? How can an expensive elastic professionally designed mask be uncomfortable? I don't get it. Wasn't it the right size?

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:44 pm
Yes...the AirSense 10 models have the humidifier built in so no need for a separate device to take up added space.

You may not need the humidifier part of things but it's a lot better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
When nasal mucosa get unhappy...they will make your life miserable for days.
What is nasal mucosa? Do you mean the nostrils can get dry? Or the throat get dry?

I only get dry mouth in the desert, like in Las Vegas. But not in Asia.

Do the majority of CPAP users need the humidifier? Or do most not even use it?

If I need it, I prefer the case with water. Not those disks that Resmed AirMini uses. Those look like a hassle and have to be replaced.

Can you use tap water for the humidifier? Or does it have to be filtered water or distilled water?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:44 pm

WWu777 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:54 pm
Why was the Wisp mask uncomfortable? What about it was uncomfortable? Did you use the one that covers your nose with a triangle piece? Or the one that has nose plugs? How can an expensive elastic professionally designed mask be uncomfortable? I don't get it. Wasn't it the right size?
It caused me to experience nasal congestion just pressing on my nose. Put it on and nose stops up...remove it and nose opens up. It was the mask. A problem I have also had with the full face masks as well. My nose just doesn't like anything pressing on the sides of my nose.
Can't sleep like that.
Now in terms of comfort everywhere else...it's a nice mask. Easy to fit and seal but my body/nose just didn't like it.
So the only mask I have ever used has been a mask that fits under my nose or the end of my nose in some fashion.
Check out the mask I use now....link in my equipment profile.

When it comes to masks...one man's treasure is just as easily the next person's trash. What one person loves...the next person might hate. You are just going to have to decide for yourself when it comes to masks.
WWu777 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:57 pm
What is nasal mucosa? Do you mean the nostrils can get dry? Or the throat get dry?
Google could be your best friend if you would just use it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_mucosa
Have you ever had a bad cold or allergy symptoms where your nose was runny, congested, sneezing, itching??? That's unhappy nasal mucosa in action.
WWu777 wrote:
Do the majority of CPAP users need the humidifier? Or do most not even use it?
Here in the US....probably most will use some form of added moisture. Some might need a lot, some a little...again it all depends on what the nasal mucosa need. Most prescriptions in the US have "heated humidity" included in the RX because it is so common. For those that don't need it...it can always be turned off or not used. Cpap rhinitis is enough of a problem for most people that a humidifier is considered standard equipment in the US. Must be for other parts of the world as well since ResMed now has a machine with the humidifier built in and they are sold all over the world.

When you rented the machines that you tried....did you use the humidifier or not?
WWu777 wrote:
Can you use tap water for the humidifier? Or does it have to be filtered water or distilled water?
You can use tap water if it's water you would drink safely. Bottled water is fine...no carbonated water though.
The worst thing that can happen is if the water you are drinking happens to have a lot of minerals in it those minerals can build up on the inside of the water chamber and it looks yucky. Won't hurt you though. It's easily removed with vinegar or lemon juice if that happens. No big deal.
ResMed recently addressed this very issue because with the Covid thing it isn't so easy to get distilled water in the US like it use to be.
Some areas of the world it was never easy and those people were told tap water from the beginning.
resmedtapwaterokay.JPG

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:36 pm

Pugsy,
So this is your mask?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bleep- ... -cpap-mask

Wow it doesn't even need any headgear? That should be a lot more comfortable then.

I also tried a mask like that too, with just nose plugs and no cover. It felt more comfortable and was the least intrusive. Having a piece of plastic covering my nose felt intrusive and distracting.

What kind of mask do most people use?

Yes when I rented the CPAP machine, I turned on the humidifier and the heat too, just to be safe. It felt fine. I didn't try it without the humidifier though. If I'm in a humid climate, I'm sure it'd be ok.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Yes, the Bleep is the mask I use...No headgear and nothing actually goes inside the nostrils at all.
WWu777 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:36 pm
What kind of mask do most people use?
Last data I saw in terms of breakdown in mask types being used....it was running in thirds....it might be a little different now since it has been a while.
There might be a comparison of sales between the models at cpap.com but I haven't looked in a long time.
Last I saw it was pretty evenly broken down into thirds.

The end result...they use what they need to meet whatever special needs they might have or want or just special preferences.
We usually have to kiss a lot of frog masks before it turns into a prince though. you just have to try the mask yourself. There is no substitute for personal experience and my personal experience is useless to you. Your own personal experience is going to be the deciding factor.

I have been on cpap over 11 years now...probably tried 45 to 60 different masks in one way or another. Some lasted 10 seconds at which at which point off it came and flew across the room and it got a "no way in hell will that thing ever touch my face"....and it never did again.
Some that I tried looked a bit iffy and I went at it sideways but found out it was a nice mask. Not maybe better than my current favorite at the time (my favorite will change when I find a better one) but still a vary nice mask.
The Wisp...it just didn't suit my nose. Lots of people love it....I hate it. It's not the WIsp's fault though...it's my noses's fault.

You have to evaluate yourself and decide what you are going to like or dislike. This we can't do for you.

I don't advise the humid X disc kinds of things for every night use. ....the only moisture you are getting is the moisture you exhale into them. They need to be changed out often because that exhaled moisture is bacterial laden....breeding ground for no telling what.
You aren't going to get much moisture for one thing and unless it is a one or 2 night off trip somewhere.....I wouldn't want to do it.
My nasal mucosa would be making plans to murder me if I did that to them. I learned a long time ago that if I didn't add as much moisture as possible and keep the mucosa moist that my unhappy mucosa made my life hell with all the ugly symptoms they gave me.
And I know I wasn't sick with something either....it's happened every time I forget to add water to the chamber and it runs dry during the night.

So what I tell people when they are trying to decide on a mask....take a close look at your own wants and needs first.
If the idea of a minimal headgear appeals to you....go with the masks that have tiny headgear.
If you are like me and can't stand anything touching the sides of the nostril area for some reason...don't bother looking at any mask that touches that area of your nose. You have a lot to choose from. LOTS more than I ever had 11 years ago.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:18 pm

The frog wears a p10, but it's hard to kiss me when I'm wearing it. :lol:

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20 pm

I am not much of a traveler these days, but I will tell you the ResMed Airsense Auto is very easy to travel with (same as the ResMed Airsense Auto for her). There is a strap on the back of the case. I have the typical carry-on bag with four wheels that turn in all directions. With the carry-on's handle raised I slip that back strap over the handle and my bag rolls along so very easily. It's absolutely no problem to travel with, even on a plane. I prefer to store the CPAP under the seat in front so I know where it is. It's not tiny and compact, but I know it's going to work fine.

I always carry an extension cord in my carry-on bag in case there's not a convenient plug (trying to find one without that weird angled plug is getting harder! You can't always plug those in when there are other things in the way). There's room in the bag for things like that.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:53 pm

I just travel with my regular machine.
I'd rather feel good and maybe have to shop for an extra pair of shoes.
Ooooh! Shopping!

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:11 am

I use a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto, and also have a Dreamstation GO. There is really no difference in size when traveling with either. Whatever machine you use, you still have the long hose, and mask. Those take up the same amount of space no matter what machine you use. So the size of the machine is really not that much different from one to the other. Get the machine your Doctor says is going to best treat your sleep apnea. And when you travel, NEVER let that machine out of your possession.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:24 am

WWu777 wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:09 pm
booksfan wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:44 pm
I do have to say, the Wisp is the only mask that I could not even tolerate for one night...I don't think I made it 2 hours with that one. I HATED it!
I made it all of 90 minutes with the Wisp. Longest 90 minutes of my life too. Thought for sure it must have been close to 5 hours with the damn thing before off it came and the old mask (I think Swift FX or P10 back then as it was some years ago when the Wisp was first released) went back on and I went back to sleep. Next morning...used the software and saw 90 minutes was all I had before the change.

But some folks swear by it...me, I just swear at it. :lol:
I just found it incredibly uncomfortable. It's been a while, but if I recall correctly, it stuck out pretty far, was stiff (I am a stomach/side sleeper), and just did not stay on well. I think I was between sizes. But it really varies from person to person. If you are able to find a DME that will give you a trial on masks, or free returns, that is your best bet. My bricks-and-mortar DME let me try out about 10 masks (at home) my first month and a few others in the office (those I knew right away would not work).

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:41 am

WWu777 wrote:

You seem to think there is a single "best" mask that everyone could use, it would fit perfect.

There's a reason there are hundreds of different mask types, styles shapes, sizes and materials. Our faces, shapes, proportions and sensitivities are all different. As much as you want to simply ask "What's the best mask?", there is no best mask.

They're masks, not seat belts.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:28 am

Cardsfan wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:11 am
I just found it incredibly uncomfortable. It's been a while, but if I recall correctly, it stuck out pretty far, was stiff
Are we still talking about the mask or what? :?

JPB

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:41 am

They're masks, not seat belts.
<slaps forehead>

THAT'S been my problem all along!!

thanks, dog slobber.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:46 pm

Carried my S9 and later the A10 to Europe (twice), Russia, China. Always carried it on.-- doesn't count as a regular carry-on item. It's not a big bother.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:44 am

zorki1c wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:46 pm
Carried my S9 and later the A10 to Europe (twice), Russia, China. Always carried it on.-- doesn't count as a regular carry-on item. It's not a big bother.
Varies by airport. Stockholm counted my Airsense 10 as a regular carry-on, even though it was clearly labeled as a medical device. They said I could carry it on, but not as my third carryon. (I still don't understand why my husband didn't just grab it and say it was his second carryon!) After that is when I bought my AirMini. I had no problems in other international airports prior to that, but did not want to risk a recurrence.

That was my experience.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet