Is the N30 nasal cradle different from P10 pillows?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
surf_rower

Is the N30 nasal cradle different from P10 pillows?

Post by surf_rower » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:25 am

I searched on this topic and looked at pictures on cpap.com, but can't see how the cradle works. It still has nasal pillows that go in your nostrils, right? I have P10 and the pillows move around too much and stimulate sniffles the next day, so if the cradle is less shifty, I would try that. Thanks for any advice.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Pugsy

Re: Is the N30 nasal cradle different from P10 pillows?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:05 am

The N30 does NOT have "pillows" that rest against each individual nostril opening like the P10 does.
Now it does fit into the frame in a similar fashion as the P10 does and it does have the silent diffused venting as the P10 and uses the same headgear.

Give me a little bit and I will try to get you a close up picture of the 2 so you can see the difference clearly.

BTW...I gave the N30 a month long trial a while back. It is very comfortable and I liked it enough to keep it around but it takes 3rd place in my list of preferred masks. This might not sound very positive but I am a tough cookie when it comes to masks and to even make it on my preferred list is quite an accomplishment.

AND...from my own experience it is NOT as stable as the P10 but not horribly unstable.
It will probably move around more than the P10 but the comfort it offers is a very nice trade off IMHO.
The N30 cushion is extremely comfy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:41 am

So....my N30 is temporarily AWOL (it's not where I thought it was) so I couldn't get a pic of the P10 and N30 cradle side by side for you but you know what the P10 looks like...and here is a close up of the N30. The purple colored part is what fits into the frame itself. The open area on top is what sits against the nostril openings.

The N30 (for me) wasn't as stable as the P10 but it was more comfortable and especially more comfortable or forgiving if/when I tightened up the headgear straps. So could I have maybe made it more stable with more tension on the straps...perhaps...and it would have been more comfortable against my nose than the P10 if I tightened it more. It wasn't enough to get me to abandon the Eclipse because my number one preference is no headgear at all much less adding more tension to the headgear.

Pros and cons with all masks out there and which pro or con ends up dictating desires is going to depend on each person's individual preferences.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:01 pm

The opening in the middle of the cradle seals against your nose. There's nothing in your nose, and it's soft, so less prone to skin pressure, although there is a rigid part to the base of the cradle on the N30 mask

I use the Philips Dreamwear nasal cradle mask. It's completely soft, no rigid parts near the nose. It's easily bumped, but also easily fixed. Sometimes I just have to do the "wrinkle my nose" move to reseat it, and sometimes I have to push it with a finger. When I roll over in bed, I just hold it against my nose so it doesn't get dislodged when I move my head against the pillow, and then pull down the back strap that rides up always (even with the "arms"). It's second nature to me now, and I don't really move in my sleep so I'm always awake to change positions, and I can go right back to sleep. I used to sleep in one position all night, but my hips and knees and back don't like that anymore.

The N30 might be more stable, but I didn't like it as much because I really like having the hose come out at the top of my head instead of down in front of me. I have a jury-rigged homemade hose management system that does not pull on the hose. Some people complain about the noise of air running through the tubes on the Dreamwear, but I have been using it for years and don't really hear it anymore.

I hated nasal pillows because there was almost always condensation that gave me an unpleasant wet dog nose sensation (in part because I don't use a heated humidifier and my room is usually cold 3/4 of the year. And nasal pillows wore out quickly. The nasal cradle doesn't feel wet against my nose and I can use the same cradle piece for a year or more.

Give the cradle a try. I'm very happy to have this as an option.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:35 pm

Thanks folks for the cradle info. Since I posted, I am now the proud owner of a new N30 cradle!! Went to a sleep doc appt today and they had a free sample, so I'll try it tonight. Thrilled with how soft the cradle feels, hope it works out.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:48 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:35 pm
Thrilled with how soft the cradle feels, hope it works out.
It is super soft isn't it? Now you see what I mean. I hope it works out for you.
Do let us know how it goes.

If I couldn't use the Eclipse for some reason or other I would have to choose between the P10 and the N30. It wouldn't be an easy decision....the N30 cushion is waaaaay softer than the P10 pillows. Might have to resort to a little more tension to make the N30 a little more stable and not move quite so much. I never tighten my masks much at all...I wear them stupid loose.

Now I still have to go find the AWOL N30 I seem to have put in a safe place....too safe...can't find it. :lol: :lol:
Story of my life....put stuff in a "safe place" for later and forget where I put it.
Didn't have time today to do much looking. Had other stuff I had to do.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:51 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:48 pm

Now I still have to go find the AWOL N30 I seem to have put in a safe place....too safe...can't find it. :lol: :lol:
Story of my life....put stuff in a "safe place" for later and forget where I put it.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:58 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:51 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:48 pm

Rules for finding:
1. Look again where it is supposed to be.
2. Look under where it is supposed to be.
3. Stop looking, and think.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:59 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:58 pm

how very DARE you, trying to get me to think!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:00 pm

Hey zonker....cute cartoon and spot on right.

I think I put it in one of the dresser drawers but haven't had time to sort through that mess.

It's somewhere "safe"....that I know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We had to go see my mom today....she caught covid in the nursing home..damn...and looking for an AWOL mask was last on my "to do" list beyond looking in the cpap tote box kept under the bed. My mom is doing okay for catching covid at age 91...though she doesn't realize that is why she is sick. She's not horribly sick though...low grade temp and a little cough. She's lucky.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:00 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:59 pm
surf_rower wrote:

:lol: Don't think too hard, it's usually along the lines of: What coat was I wearing?

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:02 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:00 pm
zonker wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:59 pm
surf_rower wrote:

:lol: Don't think too hard, it's usually along the lines of: What coat was I wearing?
HA! that doesn't work, because i'm a jacket whore. never know which one i wore last!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

dorsy28

Post by dorsy28 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:52 pm

I use the N30i, which has a top of the head attachment and silicone frame that rests against your cheeks, but same soft set up with the holes that rest under my nose. The small moved a little bit, but the Small wide is perfect (oddly since it should be too big). I've tried the N30 so many times since the frame is lighter and 'less', but I felt like it was noisier for me and end up taking it off after a few hours.

The pillows really bothered my nose, and I never seemed to get a good seal.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:32 am

surf_rower wrote:
Thanks folks for the cradle info. Since I posted, I am now the proud owner of a new N30 cradle!! Went to a sleep doc appt today and they had a free sample, so I'll try it tonight. Thrilled with how soft the cradle feels, hope it works out.
Correction, it's N30i, though apparently with the wrong vent! I started a new thread about my first night with it.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:37 am

surf_rower wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:32 am
surf_rower wrote:
Correction, it's N30i, though apparently with the wrong vent! I started a new thread about my first night with it.
Yeah, the N30i didn't work for me, the nasal cradle just wasn't comfortable enough. The Dreamwear version of the N30i did work but I found it heavy and really hated the air jet coming out of the front of it. As did my bed mate. Actually, the N30i is a copy of the Dreamwear nasal mask, the Dreamwear was out first by a year or so, and was very popular. So ResMed copied it with their own modifications. The flexibility of the Dreamwear was the best part for me. What I like about the N30 is that it's light weight, has a diffused vent, and is pretty comfortable for me. Well worth giving it a shot. As a side sleeper, I really like it...a little more leakage than the Dreamwear, but so much less impact with the minimal headgear.