Sore nose!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nardella

Sore nose!

Post by Nardella » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:09 am

So after almost a month of on and off attempts I fell asleep! Now I woke up in the middle of the night with a very sore nose. Do I need a larger mask? What can I do until I get a larger mask?
Machine REF 561CA Philips Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex
Humidifier REF IN6TFLG

OSAHell

Re: Sore nose!

Post by OSAHell » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:51 am

Hi again Nardella,

I just saw your update on the other thread, congrats! As for your sore nose, I had the same problem when I start using pillow after a few days. To be more precise, my problem was irritation on the edge of my nostrils where the pillow come in contact with it. My sleep tech told me about a cream to put on the sore part (which I really don't remember the name). I used that for about a week and problem solved! That should be a lot more easier to fix that than your "airflow timing" issue! Maybe you can go to a pharmacist, there might be OTC cream that'll do the trick, told him it because of CPAP mask. Or you can wait and call your sleep clinic to see if they can recommand you something for this. My sleep tech said that it was a common problem with pillow and she even had a sample tube of the cream.

Last edited by OSAHell on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

cpierc01

Post by cpierc01 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:18 am

Go to the Baby isle and get laniosh cream(not sure of the spelling) You will be good in no time

JonSnow

Post by JonSnow » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:09 am

I too was suffering from this just a couple weeks ago when I got the machine. I just used plain old neosporin because it was all I had. It cleared up in a couple days and has not been back yet. I know mine was bad and had it in both nostrils. dont loose hope and it will get better.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:30 am

https://www.lansinoh.com/products/hpa-lanolin

Above is Lansinoh's webspage. Note the spelling.

It's available at Target and at Walgreen in the nursing mother's section. Some call it nipple cream. Of course it's available online. A little bit goes a long way so don't slather it on. There's another cheaper brand out there but it smells too much like a wet wool sweater.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:42 am

I'm having a similar problem with my new Airfit P10. I just end up switching to the Wisp when I get up to use the bathroom. The Airfit stays in place better, but it just a tad too tight. I figure after a week of stretching, it will be fine, but my poor nose couldn't take it all night.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Nardella

Post by Nardella » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:44 am

Just to be clear, I am talking about soreness on the exterior of my nose, not my nostrils.
Humidifier REF IN6TFLG

corvallisgrace75

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 am

Nardella wrote:Just to be clear, I am talking about soreness on the exterior of my nose, not my nostrils.
Hi Nardella! I was advised by someone here to get Lanolin cream (ointment?) from Lansinoh. I just bought some today. I found it at my local CVS drug store in the baby products section. It's advertised for women who have sore/cracked nipples from breast feeding. I'm hoping it works! Good luck to you!
Mask: AIRFIT P-10 4 HER/AIRFTI MAS FOR HER NASAL PILLOW
ResMed/S10 ELITE

corvallisgrace75

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:52 am

corvallisgrace75 wrote:
Nardella wrote:Just to be clear, I am talking about soreness on the exterior of my nose, not my nostrils.
Hi Nardella! I was advised by someone here to get Lanolin cream (ointment?) from Lansinoh. I just bought some today. I found it at my local CVS drug store in the baby products section. It's advertised for women who have sore/cracked nipples from breast feeding. I'm hoping it works! Good luck to you!
Yeah, duh. (Sir Noddinoff) Looks like someone else already included the link. But I mentioned the same problem. The outside of my nose is tender/sore from use of the nasal pillows.
Mask: AIRFIT P-10 4 HER/AIRFTI MAS FOR HER NASAL PILLOW
ResMed/S10 ELITE

OSAHell

Post by OSAHell » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:54 am

If it's not like I described in my previous post I can't really tell. But if your mask have any adjustment with velcro, it might be just to tight. Or pillow size maybe, other than that I have no idea, sorry.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:09 pm

The Wisp offers 4 different cushion sizes. You did not mention which one you used. You also did not mention if you have a tiny button nose or a Jimmy Durante Shnoze.
Most likely you are tightening the straps too tight. You need to allow the cushion to inflate to create the seal. Adjusting both the upper and lower straps is necessary. I also found when using the Wisp it would occasionally slide up toward my eyes causing the lower part to rub on my nose. Adjusting the uper straps seems to be the remedy.

sleep_interrupted7

Post by sleep_interrupted7 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm glad I found this post. I'm a newbie here but I've been using my cpap machine with the nasal pillows for a while. although the thread talks about the exterior of the nose, I sometimes have soreness and irritation on the inside of my nose. I use the medium pillows Resmed Airfit P10. i'll sometimes use a q-tip to put Vaseline around the inside of my nostrils but you think I could use that lanolin around the inside of my nostril instead?

Thanks for all the advice already posted here. it's extremely helpful.

Traci

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:07 pm

Yes, use the Lansinoh lanolin. Vaseline and the silicon parts of the mask aren't compatible.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:35 pm

sleep_interrupted7 wrote: i'll sometimes use a q-tip to put Vaseline around the inside of my nostrils but you think I could use that lanolin around the inside of my nostril instead? Thanks for all the advice already posted here. it's extremely helpful.

Traci
According to some promotional literature I read regarding Lansinoh it is as close to human 'grease' as possible (it is refined from sheep's wool lanolin)... for all intents and purposes it is safe just about anywhere on the human body. I don't think I would shove it way up my nose but around the inside nares (nostril flares) would be fine I'm sure. I've done it with no problems.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Nardella

Post by Nardella » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:38 am

I have a big nose and am using xl size, I will make the strap less tight tonight, last night I didn't use the humidifier and used neosporin with minimal problems.
Humidifier REF IN6TFLG