Hives - mold??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
protonman

Hives - mold??

Post by protonman » Wed May 10, 2006 9:24 pm

I'm a veteran CPAP user - continuously for about 8 years. Never had any problems, and my sleep has been great.

Must admit I don't follow a very strict cleaning regime.

Recently I have been having problems with hives - sometimes on the palms of my hands, other times on the soles of my feet, and frequently small patches all over my body.

I'm now on my third dose-pack of prednisolone, and each time I come to the end the hives rebound...

I know I am allergic to sulfa drugs. Otherwise I've never had any allergies.

In a search for the source of what's triggering my immune system to produce hives, I've begin to suspect fungi, molds, or some other microbial invaders in my humidifier. I use filtered water, not distilled water.

Has anyone heard or read of anyone getting hives from mold/mildew/etc. in the CPAP system??

Thank you,
David

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Wed May 10, 2006 11:22 pm

Rashes/hives are notoriously difficult to diagnose & get to the cause of.
You obviously have been to a doctor. You could try a second opinion-from a dermatologist that has been in practice long enough to have seen a lot of hives & rashes.

Try this web site- http://familydoctor.org/545.xml

For what it's worth and that isn't much given I can't see the "hives" it isn't likely to be mold.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

fujiinator

Hives

Post by fujiinator » Thu May 11, 2006 7:31 am

I myself have extremely dry skin. The hives I get are from contacting allergens like household dust for me.

What you describe almost sounds like a contact reaction. If you were getting a reaction from the CPAP from mold, you would get hives on the face where the mask is being used on a regular basis. The hives on the palms and on the feet seem more like coming into contact with something causing a reaction. The patches on the rest of you might be from transference from your palms or contact with the allergen. That my 2 cents. I am not sure if it helps much. It can be something lie a new piece of furniture that has something on it for an example. Even a new medication or reacting to a medication that you have been using with no reaction before this. There can be many reasons unfortunately.

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Thu May 11, 2006 11:19 am

Or....you may have developed a food allergy.
I had problems with hives off and on for many years and couldnt figure it out. Tried everything (e.g., switching laundry detergents, etc.).
Finally went to an Allergist and he did some testing and detective work and we found out I was allergic to peanuts (and other members of the legume family to a lesser extent).
So I'd recommend that you go to an allergist.

Maryb

Hivesman

Re: Hives - mold??

Post by Hivesman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:15 am

I suspect the same thing in my case of hives. I get them at night when I use my cpap. They mostly disappear over the day and then return again the next night. To experiment I didn't use my cpap for a couple of nights and no longer developed hives during the night. I clean it but perhaps not as often as I should. I want to start using it again but I'm afraid of the hives. I've used it for years before this and never developed hives.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:10 am

As interesting as this information is....I hope you realize that you are responding to a 13 year old post

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:05 am

Hivesman wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:15 am
I suspect the same thing in my case of hives. I get them at night when I use my cpap. They mostly disappear over the day and then return again the next night. To experiment I didn't use my cpap for a couple of nights and no longer developed hives during the night. I clean it but perhaps not as often as I should. I want to start using it again but I'm afraid of the hives. I've used it for years before this and never developed hives.
Get to an allergist and get checked for autoimmune urticaria as well as other things like thyroid. It is nothing to mess around with, you can wind up in the ER. I've had hives for most of my life off and on and for me they are always worse at night and I started getting them long before cpap.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:06 am

Hivesman wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:15 am
You don't say where the "hives" are. But, if they are on your face where the mask sits, they might be mere contact dermatitis. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20352742

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:12 am

I doubt it's related to CPAP at all. It's also not usual for hives and itches to worsen at night.

Change bed sheets, change laundry detergent (or have you changed laundry detergent?).

It's also a good idea to start a new topic specific to your issue instead of necro-bumping such an old post.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:19 am

hivesman just joined this form today, two posts both about hives,

I suspect this is another troll for NOxxxxxxx.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:23 am

grayghost4 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:19 am

meh. not necessarily, in my humble opinion. we get people here every now and then who are new to internet forums or even the internet itself. s/he could be earnest, just doesn't know what rules apply.

i suppose only time will tell.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Hivesman

Post by Hivesman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Actually, I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread so I just replied to this old one. The old one was also directly related to my own situation. I'm not a troll. Just someone desperately in need of some guidance to get rid of these hives.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:23 am
grayghost4 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:19 am

meh. not necessarily, in my humble opinion. we get people here every now and then who are new to internet forums or even the internet itself. s/he could be earnest, just doesn't know what rules apply.
People should take a few minutes to learn the rules and customs before spewing garbage.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Hivesman wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:34 pm
Actually, I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread so I just replied to this old one. The old one was also directly related to my own situation.
See that GIANT "post a new topic" button right up there above that "NEWBIES! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" thread?

Looks like this:
Hivesman wrote:
I'm not a troll. Just someone desperately in need of some guidance to get rid of these hives.
What are you washing your mask with?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:51 pm

Hivesman wrote:
Actually, I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread so I just replied to this old one. The old one was also directly related to my own situation. I'm not a troll. Just someone desperately in need of some guidance to get rid of these hives.
To start a new topic, go to the home page and click on the "Post a New Topic" on the left hand side of the page. Enter the topic of your post where it says "Subject", then go to the large block and start typing.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.