Issue With Filters Coming Off

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pippincat

Issue With Filters Coming Off

Post by pippincat » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:05 am

I have a Respironics System One CPAP. Every morning when I wake up both the fine filter and the black sponge filter are off and laying on my bedside table. Last night I woke up and sure enough they were off. I put them back in and checked a half hour later and they were off again. Is anyone else having a problem with this? Is there something that can be done to stop this. THANKS!!! ......Pippincat

pbriggs

Re: Issue With Filters Coming Off

Post by pbriggs » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:12 am

Are you using the white filter with the tab on the top? Some has said in the past to cut the tab off and they stay better. I use the newer model, based on the humidifier that you link, and the new filter does not have the tab anymore. I have also read where people have put a large elastic band around the machine to hold them in.

pippincat

Post by pippincat » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:33 am

I am using the new filters without a tab. Yes, I have done a search and from 2012, I see that I am not alone with this. Won't putting a rubber band restrict the airflow?

Thanks!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:37 am

Got a cat? They might be 'interesting' to him/her. Maybe you have to turn the machine so the filters are backed against something so the cat can't get at them.

pippincat

Post by pippincat » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:44 am

Julie,

Interesting idea. I do have a cat. But I have never seen him interested in my CPAP or going on my night table at night. I am worried that there is something wrong with the CPAP, but there is no strange sounds. I guess I will try the rubber band or tape ideas.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:45 am

Use a thin skinny rubber band and the air flow will be just fine.
Have you been doing some coughing lately?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ALF

Post by ALF » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:30 am

I put some tape around the inside of the filter opening, so that the foam filter now has a tighter fit. I used fabric tape and cut it lengthwise so that it was narrow enough not to stick out from the filter opening. If you tape all the way around the opening, it may be too tight for the foam filter. Try just on the bottom and one side first. It does seem odd to me that there is no clip or cover to hold the filters in. I generally don't have a problem except while traveling; when I get to my destination, the filters sometimes need to be re-inserted.

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"
- Ernest Hemingway

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:58 am

pippincat wrote:I have a Respironics System One CPAP. Every morning when I wake up both the fine filter and the black sponge filter are off and laying on my bedside table. Last night I woke up and sure enough they were off. I put them back in and checked a half hour later and they were off again. Is anyone else having a problem with this? Is there something that can be done to stop this. THANKS!!! ......Pippincat
Yep, I used to have the problem frequently. I attributed it to a cough during the night that didn't wake me up at the time.
My solution was, as has been suggested, was to put a rubber band around the machine top to bottom that fits exactly (or approximately depending on how obsessive one gets) in the middle of the filter. Problem solved.

My idiot former DME told me that didn't I know that the air intake is only intake and air never blows out.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:00 am

pippincat wrote:I am using the new filters without a tab. Yes, I have done a search and from 2012, I see that I am not alone with this. Won't putting a rubber band restrict the airflow?
No, a rubber band or two won't block enough airflow to matter. The hole in the back of the machine that the air comes in through is much smaller than the size of the filter and air still flows through just fine.

Even a thick rubber band wouldn't make a difference.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:36 am

pippincat wrote: I am worried that there is something wrong with the CPAP, but there is no strange sounds. I guess I will try the rubber band or tape ideas.
I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the machine, other than a poor design of the filter system

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.