Using CPAP overseas

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rainey

Using CPAP overseas

Post by rainey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:15 pm

My husband relies on a standard CPAP equipped for American 110 volt current. We will be staying in a 220 volt country for 3-4 months.

I have gotten the appropriate socket converters and current transformers. However, each transformer I found had the warning that it was for intermittent use and continuous use could cause damage to the transformer (bummer) or appliance (HORRORS!). We will be completely out of contact with and half a world away from our medical network and ordinary support should his CPAP be damaged.

Has anyone traveled with a CPAP and how did you manage the electrical issue?

Thanks in advance for advice.

dennism

Re: Using CPAP overseas

Post by dennism » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Check the label on the back of machine or on the power module if the power module is part of the cord. It may say something like 220ACV-120ACV. (220 Volts AC - 120Volts AC where AC means alternating current)

Many of todays electronics actually work at both voltages and only need an adapter (not a convertor) and if it says 220VAC it does work at 220V AC and all you need is a plug adaptor (not a voltage convertor)

If it only needs a plug adaptor, you have not worry about power rating. Just use the adaptor.

If it does not say 220 VAC, your machine label will say how many amps it consumes at 120VAC. You multiply this by 0.5 to see how many amps it consumes at 220VAC.

You then compare this to the rated Amps output from the convertor. As long as the machine uses fewer amps than the maximum from the convertor, you can use convertor without a problem unless the convertor instructions say to the contrary.

Do reply with what the label says or contact me off line if I can help further

Dennis

rainey

Post by rainey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Thank you for your reply. Not sure my feeble brain understood a word past "look on the back of the machine". But I've asked ResMed the same question and I'll pass on your and their reply to my husband. I'm hoping he'll be able to understand it and take appropriate corrective measures.

Thanks again!

dennism

Post by dennism » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Are you able to send me a photo of the label on the back of the machine?? If so we can work offline and solve this!

Dennis

rainey

Post by rainey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Thank you. You are very kind to take this much trouble. And since you are, perhaps should be a bit more specific. We will be in Cape Town, South Africa where the current is between 220 and 240. I don't know if SA has alternating or direct current.

Here are the pix I was able to take of his 2-part CPAP with water reservoir:

[img]/Users/raineysmith/Desktop/iPhone Pix.photolibrary/Previews/2015/01/18/20150118-134637/wY1GxwLUT06ROwUBoP6PUQ/IMG_0432.jpg
[/img]

[img]/Users/raineysmith/Desktop/iPhone Pix.photolibrary/Previews/2015/01/18/20150118-134637/uolNXMlZSESbZFX6GjxeQw/IMG_0433.jpg
[/img]

[img]/Users/raineysmith/Desktop/iPhone%20Pix.photolibrary/Previews/2015/01/18/20150118-134637/8Ywrz0vLR%OLblMh82s24Q/IMG_0435.jpg[/img]
Last edited by rainey on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainey

Post by rainey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Well, that didn't seem to work. Can you tell me how to post an image?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:07 pm

rainey wrote:Well, that didn't seem to work. Can you tell me how to post an image?
either tell us what kind of machine it is... like, what it says on the top of it, or look at that big lumpy thing in the power cord and read what it says the acceptable voltage is.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

rainey

Post by rainey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:12 pm

It is a ResMed Series 9. I will go check the machine again for the other info from the plug.

rainey

Post by rainey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:19 pm

It says:

AC 100-240V 50-60Hz
DC +24V 3.75A

Does that mean it has it's own transformer and a socket adaptor will be enough to protect it. We'll plan to buy a local surge protector in any case. I'd take one but then we'd be back in the same continuous use problem.

Thanks so much for your help.

rainey

Post by rainey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:43 pm

I also found this on a South African info site:
Tourists to South Africa should be aware that:

The South African electricity supply is 220/230 volts AC 50 HZ.
Most plugs are 15 amp 3-prong or 5 amp 2-prong, with round pins. If an adaptor is called for, consider bringing one with you, although they can be purchased locally.
US-made appliances may need a transformer.
Most hotel rooms have 110 volt outlets for electric shavers and appliances.
So that should mean we're OK with just the lumpy thing in the power cord and an adaptor, right?

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Playing Devils advocate here...

I was in an area where the local power was 220 - 240 volts. The motel had 110 volt outlets, but only in the bathroom, and they were de-energized at night.

I would suggest you remember to bring an extension cord and then go to a local computer store and tell them you need to be able to plug your laptop computer charger into 3 and 2 prong 220 volt plugs. Computers don't have as high a current draw as xPAP machines do, but it will get you started down the right path.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:33 pm

rainey wrote:It says:

AC 100-240V 50-60Hz
DC +24V 3.75A

Does that mean it has it's own transformer and a socket adaptor will be enough to protect it. We'll plan to buy a local surge protector in any case. I'd take one but then we'd be back in the same continuous use problem.

Thanks so much for your help.
that means it works in japan (100v) us/canada (120v) and the rest of the world (240v), or, as they say, "universal" so either get a short cord (the part from the brick to the wall) that fits the outlets in south africa or one of those little adapter plugs.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

pbriggs

Post by pbriggs » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:20 pm

When I travel international I take a plug adapter, extension cord, and power strip (outlet strip) with me. This way I use one plug adapter on the extension cord and plug in the power strip. I skip the cord if there is an outlet next to the bed (only sometimes am I so lucky) Then I can plug in my cell phone charger, kindle charger, BiPAP machine and laptop into the power strip with only one plug adapter. I don't typically run the computer and the BiPAP at the same time, but I bet the plug adapter will handle it.

TechJungle

Post by TechJungle » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:16 am

rainey wrote:I also found this on a South African info site:
Tourists to South Africa should be aware that:

The South African electricity supply is 220/230 volts AC 50 HZ.
Most plugs are 15 amp 3-prong or 5 amp 2-prong, with round pins. If an adaptor is called for, consider bringing one with you, although they can be purchased locally.
US-made appliances may need a transformer.
Most hotel rooms have 110 volt outlets for electric shavers and appliances.
So that should mean we're OK with just the lumpy thing in the power cord and an adaptor, right?
Yes. The "lumpy thing" is in fact the power supply. It is a universal type of power supply, so it will do the same job whether it is plugged into USA 110 volts or South African 230 volts. All you need to do is deal with the physically different plug.

Important advice: do not plug the CPAP into any 110 volt outlets designated only for electric shavers. Such outlets are not designed to supply the amount of power that your CPAP machine needs. You could be creating an electrical hazard.

TechJungle

westom

Post by westom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:52 pm

rainey wrote:It says:
AC 100-240V 50-60Hz
DC +24V 3.75A
Does that mean it has it's own transformer and a socket adaptor will be enough to protect it. .
Universal supplies were standard for portable appliances for decades. So standard that if you have one that does not work on any AC voltage, then take it back to the retailer ... with all due anger at the retailer and manufacturer.

Portable electronics routinely converts any incoming voltage (from less than 100 to well over 240 volts) to well over 300 volt radio frequency spikes. Then converts that to rock solid and cleanest low voltage DC (ie 24V). A universal supply makes any country's voltage good enough. Also means electronics already have robust transient protection.

However, if you do not read numbers on any appliance label, then any damage is considered your fault.
Last edited by westom on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.