Jaw Falling out of Full Face Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jgtidwell

Jaw Falling out of Full Face Mask

Post by jgtidwell » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi, all. Newby here. I just started therapy about a week ago. The first few nights went well. A little trouble getting to sleep but otherwise fine. However the last 3 nights I've been waking up to the whoosh of my jaw going slack and basically falling out of the mask. The fit feels fine when my mouth is closed and even when my mouth is open a fairly wide. My jaw falls open and back when I hit a deep sleep.

I have a Philips Dreamstation CPAP and a F&P Simplus Full Face Mask. I started using the Dreammapper app 2 nights ago. The app is saying my mask has a 100% fit which can't be true because of this event. It happens a few times during the night. The app is also saying my AHI is between 8 and 10 still, even with the therapy. I understand that 2 nights of data aren't really reliable and I should give it more time to see if the AHI goes down, but it is discouraging. The first few days of treatment I felt fantastic. Today, not so much. I'm yawning as I type this.

Would a chinstrap be advisable with this full face mask? Should I be concerned that the Dreammapper app is still showing an AHI in the apnea spectrum? Is the Dreammapper app even accurate?

Thanks in advance!

LSAT

Re: Jaw Falling out of Full Face Mask

Post by LSAT » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Dump Dreammapper and download the Sleepyhead Software.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

jgtidwell

Post by jgtidwell » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:18 pm

LSAT wrote:Dump Dreammapper and download the Sleepyhead Software.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment
Yeah, I keep seeing that mentioned here. The Dreammapper app seemed a little like an afterthought. I just started using it because it's available for my phone, and I can get the stats on my way out the door and check them out later in the day at work. I'll look into the Sleepyhead Software.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Please confirm exactly which machine you are using.
jgtidwell wrote:Philips Dreamstation CPAP
This model is model number DSX 200 with 3 letters at the end that aren't important....it's a half assed brick. It only shows generic AHI (no category breakdown and only the mask fit thing)....SleepyHead won't show anything else.

You need model DSX 400 or higher to get the useful data needed...and especially in your case what that AHI is made up of.

So figure out for sure which model you have and if it is indeed the DSX200xxx...take it back and tell them you want a different full data machine.

Now about the mask fit showing 100% when you know there was a big leak...maybe it just didn't last long enough to affect the overall percentage.
Dunno...maybe you woke up quickly and it just didn't have time to register...would need to see the actual software leak graphs. That's where SH comes in.

Your AHI is too high but we don't know what that AHI is made up of...is it mainly obstructive stuff and you need more pressure or is it mainly Sleep/Wake/Junk (lots of wake ups during the night causing the machine to flag events that aren't really apnea events)...can't tell without the software graphs...heck it's hard enough to tell for sure even with the graphs.

So...which machine for sure do you have?

I don't use a full face mask so I don't think I can help much with the jaw thing. People do wear chin straps with full face masks just for that reason but if it were me and I had to wear a chin strap it sure wouldn't be with a full face mask. So I am no help there...will let others who do use FFmasks chime in.

Last edited by Pugsy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:14 pm

jgtidwell wrote:Would a chinstrap be advisable with this full face mask?
I wear a FFM and have tried chinstraps. For me, they were ineffective, uncomfortable and interfered with the mask headgear.

Instead, I wear a 4-inch, firm foam cervical collar every night. The collar helps to keep the jaw from dropping. It also keeps the neck in the best position for airway patency.

I prefer the DMI brand - https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=d ... r&cat_id=0

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:21 pm

When I was using the simplus mask, I would run two pieces of tape from the mask to down under my chin. I used the tape to keep the mask from riding up on my nose and make it sore. It had the advantage of keeping the mask aligned with my mouth. If my mouth dropped, it would pull the mask down with it. I now use a soft cervical collar when sleeping.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

jgtidwell

Post by jgtidwell » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Of course, it's the 200 model.

jgtidwell

Post by jgtidwell » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Okie bipap wrote:When I was using the simplus mask, I would run two pieces of tape from the mask to down under my chin. I used the tape to keep the mask from riding up on my nose and make it sore. It had the advantage of keeping the mask aligned with my mouth. If my mouth dropped, it would pull the mask down with it. I now use a soft cervical collar when sleeping.
I have a beard that my wife would kill me over if I shaved it. I hope I can figure something else out.

guest two

Post by guest two » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:59 am

jgtidwell wrote:
Okie bipap wrote:When I was using the simplus mask, I would run two pieces of tape from the mask to down under my chin. I used the tape to keep the mask from riding up on my nose and make it sore. It had the advantage of keeping the mask aligned with my mouth. If my mouth dropped, it would pull the mask down with it. I now use a soft cervical collar when sleeping.
I have a beard that my wife would kill me over if I shaved it. I hope I can figure something else out.
Same idea with no shaving- you can loop a strap (like Velcro) around the FFM lower straps and under your chin.
Many have struggled to attain a good seal with a beard, some shaved.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:46 am

Years ago when I used a FFM, I had the same trouble. I found a short velcro strap and passed it through the lower straps on the mask and under my jaw, thus improvising a chin strap that hooked to the mask, not over my head. Worked great! Used this setup until I discovered nasal pillow masks, which I like much better. I had to use a regular chin strap with the Nasal Pillows, but after some time (six months?) I guess I 'trained' myself and my jaw stayed shut on its own, and I could retire the chin strap.

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Okie bipap wrote: I now use a soft cervical collar when sleeping.
If you use a foam cervical collar, you should say "foam cervical collar". Some brands of foam cervical collars come in soft or firm.