trucker needs portable cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NanaBrenda

trucker needs portable cpap

Post by NanaBrenda » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 pm

My hubby is a trucker. He's had Cpap for about a year and is (finally) using it regularly at home.
Our problem is that our insurance won't cover a new machine for at least another year. Is there
some moderately priced travel Cpap that works well?

It looks like an XT Fit Cpap with humidifier is close to $400. But that still only gives him AC power.
Anyone have suggestions for a fairly affordably way we can keep him on track when he's not home?
He usually only has to sleep in the truck overnight one night. But occasionally loads, traffic, etc will
make it 2 nights in a row.

He's been going without treatment when he's driving. I know that's not good for his blood pressure or
ability to fall, and stay, asleep. All of which are important for safety and feeling well.

Krelvin

Re: trucker needs portable cpap

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Why don't you just a battery option for your existing Unknown CPAP machine and just use it. Certainly would be less than $400 for a second machine and he is already familiar with it.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:29 pm

Is his regular machine a straight CPAP? If it is and he can do without a humidifier for those occasional nighst and can get a battery source, let me know. Got an old S8, though barely used, he could keep in his truck. Maybe someone can let you know what battery source you could use with this.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:47 pm

NanaBrenda wrote:My hubby is a trucker. He's had Cpap for about a year and is (finally) using it regularly at home.
Our problem is that our insurance won't cover a new machine for at least another year. Is there
some moderately priced travel Cpap that works well?
well, a friend of mine who'll probably pop in here uses a S9 vpap auto in her OTR truck. with the 12volt adapter.

also, the devilbiss intellipaps run on 12 or 120 volts, as do the respironics machines.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 am

The Resmed S9 series is discontinued. You could probably find a unit to do what his at home does (what is he using now?) at a fairly cheap price. Team that up with the Resmed 12v adapter, and you can probably beat that $400 price and end up with a much nicer unit.

Check with http://www.secondwindcpap.com. They have very nice used units as well as new open box.

There are also trusted sellers on this board with new/like new units for sale from time to time.

I like the S9 for a trucker because of the available Resmed 12v adapter. Makes things simple.

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:35 am

SleepDisturbed wrote:The Resmed S9 series is discontinued.
Then you end up with...
SleepDisturbed wrote:I like the S9 for a trucker because of the available Resmed 12v adapter. Makes things simple.
What are you trying to say. Note the OP (unregistered) has provided no info on what machine he is using.

Note that the S9 units (and the newer Airsense/Aircurve Models) are actually 24v and need a 12v to 24v converter (~$90). Most units like Philips/Respironics are already 12v and just need a simple cable (~$12).
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:06 am

Krelvin wrote:
Then you end up with...
SleepDisturbed wrote:I like the S9 for a trucker because of the available Resmed 12v adapter. Makes things simple.
What are you trying to say. Note the OP (unregistered) has provided no info on what machine he is using.

Note that the S9 units (and the newer Airsense/Aircurve Models) are actually 24v and need a 12v to 24v converter (~$90). Most units like Philips/Respironics are already 12v and just need a simple cable (~$12).

I will restate.

1. The OP is looking to save money. Hence my suggestion of the S9, a very modern and capable machine that has been discontinued and is now being discounted. Therefore may be cheaper.
2. Yes, the OP did not specify what machine her husband is using. So I asked. However, my S9 suggestion still stands, because the S9 is a full line of machines and almost any type needed would probably be available.
3. Yes other machines are 12v to start with. I was focusing on the S9 series because of the potential savings of a discontinued machine. Plus I am more familiar with the Resmed equipment.

If you have other suggestions that you think would be more suitable, by all means make those suggestions. I certainly have no monopoly on ideas or information. The op was asking for suggestions for an affordable solution for her husbands situation, I tried to help. Maybe I didn't help but at least I tried, rather than just make a carping, critical post that contributed little.

So, if you have some suggestions for the op please kick in.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:17 am

SleepDisturbed wrote:
Krelvin wrote:
Then you end up with...

I will restate.

1. The OP is looking to save money. Hence my suggestion of the S9, a very modern and capable machine that has been discontinued and is now being discounted. Therefore may be cheaper.
Cheaper yet would be a gently used (full data) PR System One Series 50 or Series 60 machine. Both are equivalent to the S9 in terms of quality of therapy and quantity of data recorded. And both only need a $12 cable to run off of 12v battery power, but the S9 will need a much more expensive 12v to 24 converter cable.
2. Yes, the OP did not specify what machine her husband is using. So I asked. However, my S9 suggestion still stands, because the S9 is a full line of machines and almost any type needed would probably be available.
3. Yes other machines are 12v to start with. I was focusing on the S9 series because of the potential savings of a discontinued machine. Plus I am more familiar with the Resmed equipment.
If the OP's husband is using a Resmed machine already, then it's reasonable to want to stick with the same brand. if the OP's husband is using a PR machine (or some other brand), then sticking with that brand may be preferable.

For saving money when buying out of pocket, PR machines are quite a bit cheaper than Resmed machines and you don't give up any data when comparing the full data machines.

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:24 am

robysue wrote:
SleepDisturbed wrote:
Krelvin wrote:
Then you end up with...

I will restate.

Cheaper yet would be a gently used (full data) PR System One Series 50 or Series 60 machine. Both are equivalent to the S9 in terms of quality of therapy and quantity of data recorded. And both only need a $12 cable to run off of 12v battery power, but the S9 will need a much more expensive 12v to 24 converter cable.
If the OP's husband is using a Resmed machine already, then it's reasonable to want to stick with the same brand. if the OP's husband is using a PR machine (or some other brand), then sticking with that brand may be preferable.

For saving money when buying out of pocket, PR machines are quite a bit cheaper than Resmed machines and you don't give up any data when comparing the full data machines.
Thank you for a very informative and useful post!

I have nothing against PR machines, just don't use them so limited knowledge. They might be a much better solution for the OP.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 am

AFAIK, the S9 series will only run off proprietary DC power supplies, which are quite expensive.
My DeVillbiss can be plugged into the "lighter" socket of any 12V vehicle.
No added expense, except for a cord.
If the OP's hubby has a Respironics machine, this may also be possible.
Either way may have to be without the humidifier.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:41 am

I just came off a 10 day over the road trip. I used my PR 760 without humidifier and a Poweradd Pilot Pro battery.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN0 ... ge_o01_s00 The battery has connectors where you can connect directly to the PR760. I would charge the battery during the day from my truck battery and then use it at night. The battery comes with an AC charger but not DC, so I had to do some figuring out to find what DC charger and plug would work. I found and used without problems this computer charger. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WV ... ge_o00_s00
I was very happy with this setup because it takes up very little space.
I also have a different battery that I can use this cord with https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dc-pow ... hines.html but it takes more space.
We really need to know what machine he is using to give more specific info. And can he run it off his trucks batteries or powersource.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:42 am

So much to think about! OP, never engaged after first post, RED FLAG!

Must have "Travel Machine". Most machines are travel machines, they weight less than 5 lbs, even a trucker should be able to carry that! So called travel machines have limitations, cost, lifespand, pressure limits, data collection, costly adaptors or batteries. Did I mention COST.

A remstar, 12 v cigarette adapter cable, Done, new or lightly used, end of problem.

If they decide to drive by again..... Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:44 am

NanaBrenda wrote:He's had Cpap for about a year and is (finally) using it regularly at home.
Manufacturer and model name/number?

What machine settings does he use?

With a little more information, we might be able to point you to some machines for sale that would be suitable.

Just ignore the snarky comments.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

DxRxTx

Post by DxRxTx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:35 pm

He can use his humidifier in the truck as a "passover" humidifier. No heat. The airsteam will pick up moisture. In warmer weather it's no problem.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:23 pm

DxRxTx wrote:He can use his humidifier in the truck as a "passover" humidifier. No heat. The airsteam will pick up moisture. In warmer weather it's no problem.
Not necessarily. If he is sleeping overnight in Phoenix (or any arid climate), the humidifier may be great to have.

If he is sleeping overnight in Houston (or any hot, humid climate), the air conditioning in his truck may dry the air to the point he will want a humidifier.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."