Home sleep study vs hospital sleep study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Home sleep study vs hospital sleep study

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:40 pm

winnie wrote:
palerider wrote:
...I'm also suspecting coming reports of problems with finding the file in the YourName folders...
I'm not that dumb.
believe it or not, sometimes I love being proven wrong, so thanks!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:46 am

winnie wrote:I went to the directory you mentioned and put all the files there into a zip.
OK, almost there, need one more thing. There should be a folder within the YourName file:

Need that.

winnie

Post by winnie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:47 am

Morbius wrote:
winnie wrote:I went to the directory you mentioned and put all the files there into a zip.
OK, almost there, need one more thing. There should be a folder within the YourName file:

Need that.

EDIT: try this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8z15gehbjqduy ... s.zip?dl=0

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:20 pm

OK so 3.21.2015 had some nasty stuff at the end of the night:

which I thought deserved a look-see. And indeed, there are some clear cut obstructive events there, with significant flow limitation leading to complete obstruction:

Last edited by Morbius on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winnie

Post by winnie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't know what happened that night. I might have been sleeping on my back. Does this mean I need higher pressure? Or only if it keeps happening? It is weird that could happen when I'm asleep, but I don't wake up or remember it at all. You would think it would be terrifying.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:27 pm

winnie wrote:I don't know what happened that night. I might have been sleeping on my back. Does this mean I need higher pressure? Or only if it keeps happening?
Could be supine, or supine and REM (that's a good spot for REM). BTW that's a pretty hefty pressure you got here already, too.

Here's another example showing some good flow limitation (well, maybe not good for you):

winnie

Post by winnie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:39 pm

I've heard that you can stop yourself sleeping on your back by sewing a pocket on the back of your night gown or pajamas and putting a ball in the pocket. I wonder it that would work.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:51 am

winnie wrote:I've heard that you can stop yourself sleeping on your back by sewing a pocket on the back of your night gown or pajamas and putting a ball in the pocket. I wonder it that would work.
Not a bad idea while waiting for sleep study results to see if positional or REM dependency is present.

You might try canning the EPR for a while.

Are you on any REM suppressant medications?

The 24th looks a little ratty in spots as well:

winnie

Post by winnie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:52 am

I take Effexor (anti-depressant), Enbrel and naproxin (for rheumatoid arthritis), and occasionally Lorazapam to sleep.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:28 pm

winnie wrote:Effexor
That may be the culprit. I take it's step-sister, Pristiq, and several of my dr's have suggested that although SSRIs are the ones that the "big" delayed REM studies have been done on, SNRIs may be to blame, as well. Not that I plan on altering my treatment any time soon, but I do like to know what's interfering where, and delayed REM has been noted in my sleep studies.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm thinking the venlafaxine pushes the REM towards the end of the night, resulting in those events in the 2 days previously noted.

Now, you did say something about leg movements? Well, as it turns out:

Sleep changes after 4 consecutive days of venlafaxine administration in normal volunteers.

BACKGROUND:
The purpose was to examine the effect of the antidepressant drug venlafaxine on sleep architecture and periodic leg movements of sleep (PLMS) in normal volunteers.
METHOD:
Eight normal volunteers were studied under laboratory sleep conditions as follows: 1 acclimatization night, 1 baseline night, and 4 consecutive nights of venlafaxine p.o. administration (75 mg during the first 2 nights and 150 mg the last 2 nights).
RESULTS:
Venlafaxine increased both wake time and sleep stage I. Sleep stages II and III were reduced. REM sleep time was reduced after the first venlafaxine dose, and, by the fourth night, REM sleep was completely suppressed in all volunteers. Six of the eight volunteers showed PLMS at a frequency above 25 per hour.
CONCLUSION:
Venlafaxine produces several sleep disturbances, which include abnormal leg movements.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9515972

winnie

Post by winnie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Morbius wrote:I'm thinking the venlafaxine pushes the REM towards the end of the night, resulting in those events in the 2 days previously noted.

Now, you did say something about leg movements? Well, as it turns out:

Sleep changes after 4 consecutive days of venlafaxine administration in normal volunteers.

BACKGROUND:
The purpose was to examine the effect of the antidepressant drug venlafaxine on sleep architecture and periodic leg movements of sleep (PLMS) in normal volunteers.
METHOD:
Eight normal volunteers were studied under laboratory sleep conditions as follows: 1 acclimatization night, 1 baseline night, and 4 consecutive nights of venlafaxine p.o. administration (75 mg during the first 2 nights and 150 mg the last 2 nights).
RESULTS:
Venlafaxine increased both wake time and sleep stage I. Sleep stages II and III were reduced. REM sleep time was reduced after the first venlafaxine dose, and, by the fourth night, REM sleep was completely suppressed in all volunteers. Six of the eight volunteers showed PLMS at a frequency above 25 per hour.
CONCLUSION:
Venlafaxine produces several sleep disturbances, which include abnormal leg movements.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9515972
Interesting. I notice that if I forget to take the Effexor tablet at night that I usually have weird dreams. Normally I don't ever have dreams, or at least I don't remember them. I stopped having dreams many years ago after my first baby was born. After six weeks of getting almost no sleep I finally took her in bed with me to sleep. I would sleep on my side with my arm going above her head and around her. I don't think I moved all night because I was so afraid of lying on top of her. That was years before I was taking any tablets--I don't think antidepressants had even been invented. But I stopped dreaming, and now only dream if I forget to take an Effexor.

winnie

Post by winnie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 pm

I bought the Airsense For Her a few days ago and returned the loaner. With the heated hose and mask it came to $2700. I sure hope my insurance comes through and pays 95% like they said they would. For some reason the DME wouldn't give me a receipt and said I either had to come back the next day for it or they would mail it to me. I opted to have them mail it. Seems odd. But the machine has zero hours--I checked. I put it on a credit card so I at least have a record that way.

Here is the output from last night, that I took off the card. At least I think this is what it is.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/plfr7789x2l5z ... E.zip?dl=0

Here is a picture of the sleepyhead output. I see it has a new catagory of sleep disturbance , RE, that I didn't see on the output from the S9.

Imageapril 10 pic by pug_gramma, on Flickr

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:58 pm

winnie wrote:Here is the output from last night, that I took off the card. At least I think this is what it is.
Yeah, it's a little discombobulated, but I can make do.

I don't see anything that would really be called an event (some post arousal stuff) except for this:

This is an out of the blue no reason obstructive event. No preceding flow limitation, nothing, and suddenly slam shut.

Rarely, the epiglottis can cover the airway, this might be one of those times.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Another one at ~03:53. Maybe that's REM sneaking in there, but the breathing doesn't look like REM. Or maybe it's tonic REM.