Rent-to-Own becomes mine:what is Crapria trying to pull now?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jeannh

Rent-to-Own becomes mine:what is Crapria trying to pull now?

Post by Jeannh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:23 pm

After 2 months on my ResMed S9 AutoPap, Crapria calls me and says "congratulations! Your insurance co decided to buy your machine outright! It's yours!" Accustomed to distrusting them and assuming they never, ever have my needs anywhere in sight, I'm wondering what this is about. I did ask what they charged UHC for it: humidifier-less: $484.

What should I be wary of here? Thanks for ideas, sorry to be suspicious, but they have been so horrible...

markdh

Re: Rent-to-Own becomes mine:what is Crapria trying to pull now?

Post by markdh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:34 pm

I wish Lincare would call me up and tell me that. I'm wondering what mine is going to cost next year when my deductible starts over again.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Jeannh wrote:After 2 months on my ResMed S9 AutoPap, Crapria calls me and says "congratulations! Your insurance co decided to buy your machine outright! It's yours!" Accustomed to distrusting them and assuming they never, ever have my needs anywhere in sight, I'm wondering what this is about. I did ask what they charged UHC for it: humidifier-less: $484.

What should I be wary of here? Thanks for ideas, sorry to be suspicious, but they have been so horrible...
I assume that the insurance waited to make sure that you passed the compliance period before they committed to purchase the machine. They didn't want to purchase it if you were not using it on a regular basis.

markdh

Post by markdh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:13 pm

I think I'd give my insurance company a call before I'd take the DME's word on anything. You don't want any nasty surprises popping up in a couple of months.

purple

Post by purple » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 pm

First question is, who is your insurance? Most insurance companies emulate Medicare policies in some way. Medicare is a 13 month rent to own. Another exception is that some machines, like a Trilogy can not be purchased, but are a un-ending rental. A Trilogy is a very high end Vent.

The best explanation of Medicare policies is found at: http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what-y ... me-part-i/

Once again thanks again to Janknitz for a well written explanation of insurance policies, and DME's. However, all the DME's I have had, have been friendly helpful, and not nearly as concerned about money as concerned with just being helpful in my treatment. But I never had Apria as my DME.

Jeannh

Post by Jeannh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 pm

I assume that the insurance waited to make sure that you passed the compliance period before they committed to purchase the machine. They didn't want to purchase it if you were not using it on a regular basis.
Insurance is UHC. They never asked for compliance. Go figure!

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I have Cigna and they have never asked for compliance either.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:54 pm

My understanding is quite a few insurance companies rent for much shorter than 13 months, then purchase.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

flyingwithoutwings

Post by flyingwithoutwings » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:38 am

I have BCBS Florida. DME first said 30 day compliance then sent a letter saying 90 days. Go figure.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails!

Tom W

Post by Tom W » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:24 am

Jeannh wrote:After 2 months on my ResMed S9 AutoPap, Crapria calls me and says "congratulations! Your insurance co decided to buy your machine outright! It's yours!" Accustomed to distrusting them and assuming they never, ever have my needs anywhere in sight, I'm wondering what this is about. I did ask what they charged UHC for it: humidifier-less: $484.

This also happened to me on my CPAP and BiPAP machines and went off without a hitch.

My insurance co (same one that bought the first 2 machines) paid for my ASV machine after 2 months but Apria is insisting that I pay the monthly rental rate for the full 12 months.

I paid the copay that my insurance co says I'm responsible for but Apria won't have anything to do with it. They applied the payment to the first x months of rental and keep calling me telling me I'm delinquent on my payments.

I guess when it works in their favor they're OK with it but when it doesn't they put up a fuss. Win-Win (for them).

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:14 am

I have Apria and never have experienced any of these problems with them. So weird. I kind of like them actually. I call an 800 number when I need supplies and they send them to me in the mail. So easy. No sure why so many people have problems with them.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:58 am

I have Apria also. It's when you call the local office that everything goes down hill. The 800 number works like you mentioned.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1