Help with report

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Iowamv

Help with report

Post by Iowamv » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 am

Is there anything about this report that would explain why I woke up after 9:30 hours of sleep and felt like crap? I felt even worse when I woke up in the middle of the night.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/643 ... 8%2013.pdf

Tom W

Re: Help with report

Post by Tom W » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:57 am

Respiration rate seems high (much higher than I'm used to seeing on my reports) for a portion of the night - Is that YOUR normal rate?

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:11 am

The report looks pretty clean. Is this an isolated night? Or do your reports usually look like this and you usually wake up feeling like crap?

If the crappy feeling on waking is just this night, I'd start with this question: Any chance you're coming down with the first cold of the season or some other upper respiratory illness? Not all "bad sleep" is due to OSA and when your OSA is well under control, we typically need to look for other causes of feeling bad on the occasional morning.

If the crappy feeling is common and your reports are usually this clean, it's time to start looking at what else might be disturbing your sleep. While there are no long, large leaks, there are a lot of very short lived, spikes in the leak graph. None of the leaks are anywhere near large enough to be called an official "Large Leak" in Encore, but some people are very sensitive to even small leaks. Perhaps these small leaks are causing some mini-arousals which are disturbing your sleep.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:17 am

Going out on a big long skinny tree limb here....how was your overall sleep quality as in with the mask leaks or minor wake ups? I see some spikes which look like mask reseating spikes which if that is what they are could be indicators of a good number of arousals (you may or may not remember them).

It's a stretch though...That report is pretty darn boring

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Iowamv

Post by Iowamv » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks folks. The crappy feeling is not an everyday experience. Especially the middle of the night part. I had a cold 2-3 weeks ago, but have gotten over it (at least I don't have any other symptoms). Pugsy, I sometimes do wake up to play with the mask when I hear a leak-- even the minor ones can wake me up... I start dreaming about the sound of the ocean or something. But I don't remember having that problem last night. Maybe I just don't remember though. I honestly don't remember anything different besides the feeling bad when I woke up.

When I'm short on sleep, I get a very low level headache/tension. And I have had that all day today as well. I feel closer to what I'm used to feeling after 4-5 hours of sleep than when I've gotten 8-9 hours.

Oh well, if you folks find nothing on the report I'll just keep on keepin' on. I hadn't planned on sleeping that long... guess I'm still working on that sleep deficit. Thanks again for the help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 am

Sometimes we just don't sleep all that great and there's nothing screaming "fix me" on the reports. I have nights like that even now.
Maybe you had more low level arousals last night (that you don't remember) and it affected the sleep stages...you didn't get the needed percentage in each stage to facilitate good restorative sleep.
We tend to want to look at the reports to find something that we can "fix" and sometimes we can but sometimes there are no clear cut answers. Crap happens (as they say)

Did you know that one of the best days I have ever had since starting cpap followed a night where my AHI was 10.2. Horrible looking report but I felt awesome. I didn't look at the data until the evening and thought for sure I had one of those elusive 0.0 AHI nights.
Boy was I ever surprised.
And I have had days where I felt like total crap and the AHI was 0.5 and there just wasn't anything on the reports that might explain it and I didn't even have much restlessness due to pain (common for me) blame it on.

When this happens...when I don't have any answers to a question...that's when I like to blame the aliens. Like night before last..I had a really ugly OA cluster...12 of those buggers in 8 minutes...about halfway into the night and the rest of the night wasn't so pretty on paper but I actually felt quite decent yesterday. Got a lot done...2 truckloads of stuff moved (helping someone move) and felt pretty good all day. On paper from the looks of the report I would have thought my butt would have been dragging something awful but it wasn't.

Remember people who don't have OSA complicating things have nights where they seem to have slept well and still feel less than optimal the next day. There's so much more to being/feeling well rested than what we can see on paper.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.