Mirage Liberty Mask Cost $6000 in Ortho Treatment!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ElizaNC

Mirage Liberty Mask Cost $6000 in Ortho Treatment!

Post by ElizaNC » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:21 am

I've been using the Mirage Liberty mask for 5 years. After noticing progressive shifting of my upper teeth, I recently received two orthodontic consults to determine cause and treatment of the significant changes in teeth alignment. I am in my mid 50's and contributed the teeth movement to another mid-life "change". Both Drs indicated that this type of front teeth movement had to be contributed to consistent pressure placed on the upper lip area and both inquired if I used a CPAP mask. I had made no former connection to teeth movement and my CPAP treatment, but the orthodontists indicated they've seen many cases where hybrid masks have caused similar issues with teeth movement. I will need braces to correct this issue at the lovely tune of $6000.

As a mouth breather, I am trying SO hard to make an adjustment to nasal pillows (with chin strap use) and am trying out the Aloha and Airfit P10 masks. This adjustment is like starting over with treatment as learning to breathe successfully from my nose (and keep my mouth closed) doesn't feel normal or comfortable. I really want to avoid having to adjust to another full face masked, so I'm working hard to adapt to nasal pillows...and the burden of the additional layers on my head and face from the chin strap.

If you are a hybrid mask user, PLEASE monitor your teeth alignment and possibly consider alternative mask options before you end up with a similar issue and major expense to correct!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Mirage Liberty Mask Cost $6000 in Ortho Treatment!

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:34 am

How on earth does someone wear the same mask for five years without noticing their teeth are moving?
I'm calling troll!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:42 am

chunkyfrog wrote:How on earth does someone wear the same mask for five years without noticing their teeth are moving?
I'm calling troll!
and not one of the cute ones.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:45 am

I wonder why they quit selling those adorable little dolls.
Too ethnic? If so, WHAT ethnicity? Don't answer!

ElizaNC

Post by ElizaNC » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:47 am

Hmmm...of course I noticed some movement, but it was slow. It wasn't until the past few months that the shifting was significantly noticeable on the upper teeth. I've always had some minor crowding on the lower jar, so I just assumed my upper teeth were moving due to "age". While my dentist also noticed the changes in the upper teeth, it was the orthodontists that made the connection to the CPAP masks. And, they indicated they've seen this several times with the hybrid mask specifically.

I assure you this is NO trolling effort. I would love this issue to magically disappear on the Internet instead of the $$$ that are disappearing from my account paying for this treatment!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:18 pm

I apologize for making the assumption. Having had orthodontics as a teen,
I am very aware of any change in my bite, and it drives me nuts until the teeth slide back where they belong.
The Liberty was one full face mask that I could not get a seal with, no matter what!
I returned it after less than twenty minutes.
Correct mask adjustment is detailed in the blog "Taming the Mirage Quattro"
A bit late, but applicable for any mask, except the fabric ones.
--Sleepweaver, advance, elan, or Anew.

mike1953

Post by mike1953 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:22 pm

Yearly dental check-up would have caught those changes no matter how slow they were.

lc96

Post by lc96 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:45 pm

I also needed orthodontic treatment.

I noticed the movement a couple of years after starting CPAP, was using a nasal mask. My dentist suggested an orthodontic opinion. Same problem, upper teeth being pushed outward by my tongue. The machine makes sure the airway is open, and in my case, my tongue pushes forward right behind my teeth. Maybe some people don't have this problem as their mouth cavity is bigger. The orthodontist commented that she is starting to see a little of this information gather in research, etc.

I think there may be other threads in here for same issue. Thankfully my husband's insurance covered half of my $6k and I'm now diligent about wearing my retainers at night, one year after my braces came off.

Airsense 11 Autoset Cpap
Resmed Airfit N20 and F30

lc96

Post by lc96 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:57 pm

A quick internet search turned up this site which outlines these trends they're seeing:

http://www.sleepandhealth.com/node/579

Airsense 11 Autoset Cpap
Resmed Airfit N20 and F30

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:13 pm

At 2.5 years into PAP therapy I am now dealing with the same problem.
It is not just the Liberty mask.
It is absolutely possible for a general dentist to miss this at yearly checkups.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:56 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I apologize for making the assumption. Having had orthodontics as a teen,
I am very aware of any change in my bite, and it drives me nuts until the teeth slide back where they belong.
The Liberty was one full face mask that I could not get a seal with, no matter what!
I returned it after less than twenty minutes.
Correct mask adjustment is detailed in the blog "Taming the Mirage Quattro"
A bit late, but applicable for any mask, except the fabric ones.
--Sleepweaver, advance, elan, or Anew.
Hmm, I thought it could happen even if your mask fits perfectly.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:24 am

ElizaNC wrote:I've been using the Mirage Liberty mask for 5 years. After noticing progressive shifting of my upper teeth
My god, how tightly did you have the headgear adjusted?!

lc96 wrote:A quick internet search turned up this site which outlines these trends they're seeing:

http://www.sleepandhealth.com/node/579
Oh bullshit. That is the propaganda from that ihatecpap.com dentist who promotes MADs and disparages CPAP at every turn.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:29 am

And bullshit to you HF as dental side effects from cpap definitely occur as it has nothing to do with hating pap therapy.

I am really tired of the deny all bad things associated with pap therapy BS on this website. I realize you have to be careful about blaming everything on cpap but to deny that something like dental side effects occur is also very unfair in light of several people who have said otherwise.

49er

PS - I hope Jencat sees this thread as she can definitely attest her dental expenses were due to pap therapy. She definitely is not a pap therapy hater.

MbMinx

Post by MbMinx » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:19 am

IN addition to my Liberty, I have an orthodontic mouth guard for TMJ. Should that help keep everything lined up correctly?

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:23 am

49er wrote:I am really tired of the deny all bad things associated with pap therapy BS on this website.
JC!, You've made almost 4000 posts here!! If you are tired, get out and get a life!