CPAP is a patch, not a cure...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: CPAP is a patch, not a cure...

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 am

HoseCrusher wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:26 pm
This time he tested my D levels and found I was low.
And, what was your level pray tell?

jnk...

Re: Vitamin D is a patch, not a cure...

Post by jnk... » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:32 am

Also, please note that things like nutrition and supplementation are merely patches, not cures, since (1) you have to keep doing them for them to work and (2) the issues simply return if you stop and (3) they don't work the same way for everybody and (4) many people find them inconvenient. So those approaches don't really get to the root causes of the problems.

:wink: :twisted: :P :lol:
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:57 pm

jnk... wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:32 am
Also, please note that things like nutrition and supplementation are merely patches, not cures, since (1) you have to keep doing them for them to work and (2) the issues simply return if you stop and (3) they don't work the same way for everybody and (4) many people find them inconvenient. So those approaches don't really get to the root causes of the problems.

I see what you did there.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:37 pm

jnk... wrote:
Zing!

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Everything is a patch .... eating is a patch

the only cure is DEATH... and that cures it all :lol:
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:00 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 am
HoseCrusher wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:26 pm
This time he tested my D levels and found I was low.
And, what was your level pray tell?
I came in at 22.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:04 pm

jnk... wrote:

IF, and that is a big if... If the root cause is not getting a balance diet, then a diet change can cure the problem. You are correct that once you cure the problem you can get sick again by screwing up your diet again, so the only permanent cure is death...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Death cures everything, even Life. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:33 am

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:23 pm
Unless you believe in reincarnation, then even death is a patch, not a cure.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:45 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:33 am
Goofproof wrote:
Slobber is a patch. You have to keep doing it over and over to keep your tongue from getting painfully dry.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:45 am
Dog Slobber wrote:

Slobber is a patch. You have to keep doing it over and over to keep your tongue from getting painfully dry.
Slobber patches: It a thing!

Control of drooling using transdermal scopolamine skin patches:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18167476

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
Maybe Reincarnation is a patch in search for a Cure. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm
Maybe Reincarnation is a patch in search for a Cure. Jim
Well, frankly The Cure have looked like they were in need of being patched up and re-in-somethinged for many decades now: https://youtu.be/idaX1sj-vhw
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:09 pm

An update...

My D levels have been a good range for quite some time now. My primary focus was on what Dr. Gominak observed with B levels. I have been taking a B supplement daily.

I had recently (within the last year) began to notice some discomfort in my knees and shoulders in the morning especially around changes in the weather. I could quickly work the pain out and then would be good for the rest of the day.

I cut back my B to M W F and in spite of several storm fronts moving through experienced no pain. To continue I went back to daily B and the pain returned in a few days. I have now cut back and the pain is gone. My plan is to continue at reduced levels and see what happens over a longer period of time. The hypothesis presented is that with more damage to the body, more B is needed. If I can reduce my B, perhaps healing is taking place.

The second part of this is turning out to be more difficult.

If it is true that the body repairs itself during sleep, I wanted to set myself up for the best sleep possible. I have tracked my sleep for years using a Fitbit and an oximeter. In addition I have my sleepyhead reports. None of these actually measure sleep stages so I have to guess. The Fitbit suggests you are sleeping if you are not moving. The oximeter shows a bit of a ragged O2 level along with a steady declining heart rate that suggests sleep but no levels of sleep. Sleepyhead shows flow regularity that suggests sleep but once again no indication of the levels of sleep.

I was informed of "Beddr." It appears to be a sensor that sticks on your forehead during sleep. It is measuring brain activity along with some pulse information and may provide insights to sleep stages, but it only is available for Apple phones and I have an Android. That leaves the Oura ring. It is expensive but at least I can download the raw data for further review. In addition it has been tested in comparison to PSG and the results were favorable. At this point I am still looking but leaning toward the Oura ring.

In the meantime I decided to try to make use of what I had and see if I could improve my sleep. A sleep cycle is roughly 90 minutes. My Fitbit is recording that I am motionless for about 4 hours a night. That may suggest that I am going through about 2 sleep cycles a night. My thought is that I may be able to improve by setting myself up for 3 sleep cycles a night.

Unfortunately this is very difficult to accomplish, and even more difficult to measure.

The bottom line is that eliminating the pain upon waking is good.

ChicagoGranny

Psychophysiological Insomnia

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 am

Psychophysiological Insomnia
A patient with psychophysiological insomnia focuses on their sleep, and worries about not getting enough. Their worrying starts when they prepare to go to bed. Patients become anxious that they are not going to get enough sleep. Patients with psychophysiological insomnia fret about how a lack of sleep is going to affect their next day.

This is a learned insomnia. The patient, at some point, experienced insomnia and then became preoccupied with their sleep. They often realize that their worry is keeping them from sleep but can’t seem to stop ruminating about it. The anxiety that they have about their sleep before bed often increases in intensity as they lie in bed awake.

https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home/th ... -insomnia/