Hi - I'm new here

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Napman

Hi - I'm new here

Post by Napman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Not sure if I should post this here or not I am sorry if it isn't. My name is Rob (Napman), I'm a 43/m from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I just had my first sleep SnoreSat Test last night, it wasn't too bad. All the wires were still there after about 4 1/2hrs of sleep. I am overweight and my shift work does not help. Recently I switched doctors and wanted to get back into some form of better shape. After getting blood work and being checked over for possible ailments he asked if I had any problems sleeping/ snoring. The weird part is until he said something I thought it was just a shift change problem, going to days to evenings then back... The reason why I am here is to find a frank discussion by real people about their CPAP machines and how it affects them. I am not worried about having sleep apnea, if I have it then what can I do to fix the problem. And I'm hoping coming here to read what others have done so I can avoid the same problems as much as I can. Thank-you... I hope everyone is having week.

ups4

Re: Hi - I'm new here

Post by ups4 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Napman wrote: I am not worried about having sleep apnea, if I have it then what can I do to fix the problem. And I'm hoping coming here to read what others have done so I can avoid the same problems as much as I can. Thank-you... I hope everyone is having week.
That pretty much mirrors my attitude towards the issue too, Napman.
It is what it is.....let's get on with it, right?

There is a treatment, it's proven to work, all we have to do is use it properly.

Good luck and make sure when you get your equipment that you put it in your profile so others can better help you if needed.

Paul

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went

bavinck

Post by bavinck » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Rob, welcome aboard! Nice to have another local guy here[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. What sleep clinic are you working with? I use the Centre for Sleep and Human Performance in Sundance, absolutely fantastic clinic with very helpful staff. Let me know if you have any local questions, I can try and dispense any wisdom I have gained in the 7 months since I have been on cpap.
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

Napman

Post by Napman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome ups4 and bavinck ... My doctor suggested either the Sleep Centre at the Foothills Hospital (Calgary, Alberta) which is at least 1-2 year waiting list (did not confirm this) and covered by Alberta Health Care or pay and get in within a week. I ended going to Dream Sleep Respiratory in the Northwest, just because I had no idea which one is better or worse and neither did my MD. This place is within walking distance to my MD's office. They seem like ever medical tech I have ever dealt with nothing bad or good to say as of yet. It did cost some money but it looks like my extended medical will cover it which is good. They said I should hear from my own MD within a 5-7 days... So right now its just looking at what should I get, most bang for my buck that type of thing. And like ups4 said lets get going... This is soooo frigin great to see a community like this... I have seen multiple CPAP companies/ dealers say theirs is the best and if you call you can get a free this or that. Very frustrating... I plan to look through the forums and see what might be the best for me. And yes bavinck any information you can pass on to me would be very much appreciated.

bavinck

Post by bavinck » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:49 pm

If you go to the sleep centre in Sundance you get hooked up with a dedicated sleep doc that follows you indefinitely, covered by Alberta health. Tests cost money, $200 for both home study and home titration where they figure out your pressure. Having a dedicated sleep doc is a real perk we have access to here that most of our fellow cpap brothers and sisters would kill for.
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

Napman

Post by Napman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Will definitely keep that in mind... Might be worth going to see them if the people I am with does not pan out.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Hello and welcome. While I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of health care in your part of the continent, just in general I suggest you not purchase a machine prematurely. A review of both your diagnostic study and titration results may give you more clarity on what type of machine would serve you best. A few things to consider...

- If your apnea is significantly worse during REM or when supine, an auto machine may enable you to use a lower pressure some parts of the night and have it adjust upward to accommodate changing needs.
- If you happen to need a higher pressure, a bi-level machine may be more comfortable for you.
-If you do need a high pressure, ask specifically if you had signs of being pressure sensitive and having centrals. Some who need high pressures to successfully treat obstructives find that pressure causes centrals, so that requires a more sophisticated (expensive) machine.
- In the case of a diagnosis of UARS, certain treatment delivery types are said to be more successful.

Hopefully you will find you have the garden variety OSA that responds well to a comfortable pressure, and any machine will meet your treatment needs. Then my primary requirement would that it is capable of providing you with nightly treatment data. That's the only deal breaker for me. Good luck going forward.

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:52 am

Hi Rob

Welcome! What you can do is use your cpap Work with your support team and ask questions! There are a lot of people on this sight very knowledgable about sleep apnea and the equipment used to treat it.

You are on the right path to treating you OSA . Best of luck