Sick and Scared

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Sick and Scared

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:37 pm

kcodeblue wrote:Although most CPAP's are used with a heated humidifier, the air cools and the moister is lost as it travels through the tubing. So by the time it reaches you it is fairly cool and dry.
I don't know if you've heard of it, but resmed came out with heated hoses some years back, and since then others have copied them, which kinda renders your point 'old news'
kcodeblue wrote:You can remedy this by having your doctor order you a heated wire tubing for your CPAP.
oh, look, the OP *already has a climateline hose*.

and one doesn't need to "have your doctor order", all one needs to do is call up one's vendor and say "gimmie".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kcodeblue

Post by kcodeblue » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:45 pm

palerider wrote:I don't know if you've heard of it, but resmed came out with heated hoses some years back, and since then others have copied them, which kinda renders your point 'old news'
Yes you do know that I've "heard" of heated hoses evidenced by you quoting me recommending one.
palerider wrote:
kcodeblue wrote:You can remedy this by having your doctor order you a heated wire tubing for your CPAP.
palerider wrote:oh, look, the OP *already has a climateline hose*.
So I didn't realize she had one. I'm 2 days new here and am going to miss things. I'm just trying to help, you're being a condescending smart ass!
palerider wrote:and one doesn't need to "have your doctor order", all one needs to do is call up one's vendor and say "gimmie
It depends on your insurance. Heated tubing for CPAP carries it's own billing code (HCPC A4604) and is billed separately from the CPAP. Most insurances will not reimburse a billable item without an Rx requesting it. It's to protect against fraudulent spending.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:31 pm

kcodeblue wrote: So I didn't realize she had one. I'm 2 days new here and am going to miss things. I'm just trying to help, you're being a condescending smart ass!
yeah, sorry, just my reaction to someone coming in acting like they know everything and going off giving out misleading info because they haven't bothered to figure out how things are.... scope out the lay of the land, as it were.

I suppose you're eager to show how much you know, but in doing so, you're missing important clues (dead posts, information in peoples signatures, or possibly in their previous posts.)

Pugsy is one of the great sources of information here because she READS, she looks not just at the message in front of her, but other things that have been said by that person, and to that person, before she offers up a suggestion. so, for instance, in this case, she'd never suggest that the person go to their doctor and get a rx for a heated hose, since the OP already had one.

that's one of the reasons that she's one of the most respected advice givers here... she doesn't leap in and post something to get her name up on the forum.... she waits and reads, and puts stuff together, and THEN makes a good, helpful useful post.

you might consider following her lead, you'll end up with a lot more respect from other folks here.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kcodeblue

Post by kcodeblue » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Point well taken. I assure you I'm not here to "show what I know" or "get my name up on the forum". I have setup CPAP/BiPAP for a good portion of my life and feel a strong connection to the community. When I found this place, I thought maybe I could contribute in a positive way.

I will to do my best to make sure I get the details straight before posting in the future.

Thanks

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:17 pm

kcodeblue wrote:Point well taken. I assure you I'm not here to "show what I know" or "get my name up on the forum". I have setup CPAP/BiPAP for a good portion of my life and feel a strong connection to the community. When I found this place, I thought maybe I could contribute in a positive way.

I will to do my best to make sure I get the details straight before posting in the future.

Thanks
Over the years, there have been a number of RTs, RRTs, and other DME-type employees who have joined this forum and offered their expertise here. Many were warmly welcomed and stayed for varying amounts of time. We have generally appreciated their knowledgeable contributions. Unfortunately, there have been "a few" who have come here to rant and rave about (against) people taking control of their own therapy, making statements like "changing your own therapy settings is against the law" and other ridiculous things. Needless to say, they didn't stay long.

Just wanted to let you know.........

Welcome to the forum.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Wulfman... wrote:I'm not sure why your doc wants you to stop using it.
In late April of 2011, I had pneumonia, was in the hospital for about 5 days and kept using mine......taking some of the drugs you mentioned.

I would THINK it would be better if you kept using it. Maybe if you're talking to your doctor, ask him why he wants you to stop (for the time being).
All it's doing is helping you breathe......getting more air and oxygen in your lungs. It's not like it's pushing something "toxic" into your system.

Den

I believe his reasoning was that cpap it was creating some sort of irritation in my bronchial tubes. When this first started I was sneezing like crazy right after using my P10's then it developed into this bronchitis like thing. I switched to an F10 hoping that it wouldn't be so concentrated into the nasal area but either it didn't make any difference or the bronchitis was already to far gone.

As to the Linsinopril the answer is no but he did switch me from Losartan to metoprolol.

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:09 pm

kcodeblue wrote:Your doctor probably suspects the airflow from the CPAP is irritating your airways. Bronchitis causes the airways to become swollen making them sensitive to cool, dry air which can cause you to cough. Although most CPAP's are used with a heated humidifier, the air cools and the moister is lost as it travels through the tubing. So by the time it reaches you it is fairly cool and dry. You can remedy this by having your doctor order you a heated wire tubing for your CPAP. This will ensure the heat and moisture remains the same from the time it leaves the water chamber until you breath it in. The extra moisture will also help with your mucus clearance.

As far as using the CPAP or not using it, I would first like to say that I would never advise you to go against your doctor's orders. However, it is always best for someone that has OSA to wear their CPAP whenever possible. This is especially true when you are sick. Deep sleep (stages 3, 4, &REM) is a regenerative period where our body heals and restores itself. A person with OSA usually needs a CPAP to achieve a normal amount of deep sleep. It will be much harder for you to recover from your bronchitis if you are depriving yourself of this essential, restorative sleep.

In regards to Medicare, if you submitted a compliant download (30 consecutive day report, 70% of days demonstrate >4hrs of use) within the first 90 days then your fine. That is one time only. The second thing you must do is have a face to face visit with your MD and have him/her send a progress note to the DME company that states the CPAP is clinically benefiting you. Once they receive the progress note, Medicare will pay for the remainder of the 13months for the device.
Yes I do have a heated hose, I've tried switching up the temperature and level of humidity in the humidifier and it didn't seem to make a difference. I've been off the Cpap for I think 4 nights now and definitely suffering the effects, the bronchitis seems to be a tad bit better so I may give it one more day and try the cpap again.

Thank you for the reassurance about the Medicare compliance, I was concerned about that.

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Thank you Archangle I will definitely get some Control III and thank you Julie, I love that owl too. I will try a steamer too. Thanks everyone for your kindness and help and advice, it's greatly appreciated.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:42 am

I caught your cough Started running a fever in the middle of the night. My husband put more blankets on me. We sleep in a heated waterbed so when you get the chills that bad it's bad! I had 7 comforters and blankets on me when I woke up. I couldn't get out of bed because I couldn't throw them off of me. Husband had to peel them off first. Didn't sweat out the fever which is shocking. Going to make hot tea and lay down again.

I hope you are feeling better!
Morbius, are you bored?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:58 am

"cpap it was creating some sort of irritation in my bronchial tubes. When this first started I was sneezing like crazy right after using my P10's then it developed into this bronchitis like thing"

This is interesting because you may be (like me) one of those for whom humidity (or too high a setting) brings on congestion, colds, etc. (I live close to the ocean and it's cold a lot), etc. and I rarely use the humidifier at all. Wish you'd said that earlier and I would have mentioned it. Some people think they need the hum. as 'therapy' but don't - it's for comfort and convenience, but only if it helps. I wonder now if you sort of made yourself sick using it because no one said you didn't need to use it, or to at least turn it down, though now the heated humidity might help at this point.
Last edited by Julie on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:22 am

Julie wrote:"cpap it was creating some sort of irritation in my bronchial tubes. When this first started I was sneezing like crazy right after using my P10's then it developed into this bronchitis like thing"

This is interesting because you may be (like me) one of those for whom humidity (or too high a setting) brings on congestion, colds, etc. (I live close to the ocean and it's cold a lot), etc. and I rarely use the humidifier at all. Wish you'd said that earlier and I would have mentioned it. Some people think they need the hum. as 'therapy' but don't - it's for comfort and convenience, but only if it helps. I wonder now if you sort of made yourself sick using it because no one said you didn't need to use it, or to at least turn it down.

And there are those of us who get exactly the same reaction to dry air - inflamed sinuses and bronchial tract.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:26 am

Hi, so I have frequent bronchitis due to lung damage. Bronchitis is an inflammatory reaction to excessive coughing which irritates the airways. The very best thing you can do to improve bronchitis is to stop the coughing in any way possible. Antibiotics will help if the underlying cause is bacterial. Antibiotics are helpful for preventing secondary bacterial infection if the cause is viral. But you can go on for weeks with lingering coughing after the virus/bacterial infection has been eliminated if you don't treat the cough. This is one of those instances where treating the symptoms is imperative.

So, having abundant experience with CPAP during bouts of bronchitis, this is what I do:

One, take a cough suppressant. An expectorant may help as well since your lung tissue will produce excess fluid in response to irritation, but the suppressant is the most important. Your alveoli will not heal if they're still being irritated by coughing.

Two, unless you have asthma or are prone to illness when humidity is high (as Julie pointed out), get as much humidity as you can while you have bronchitis. The extra moisture will help break up the mucus in your lungs and make coughing more productive and less irritative. I 'supplement' the humidity my machine produces by using a heated humidifier near my machine. As long as you aren't steaming right into the air intake, it will not harm your machine to suck in slightly more humid air. I sit in the shower when I'm sick with anything respiratory related to get in as much steam as I can. This will help inflamed lung tissue. (Incidentally, steam helps a number of coughing related lung issues, and is exceptionally helpful for croup.)

While I would also never suggest you go against your doctor's orders, I personally question his suggestion that you discontinue CPAP while you are sick. If you are treated in the hospital for bronchitis or pneumonia and it is serious, you will likely be treated with CPAP or Bipap to help keep your oxygen levels up while your lungs recuperate. So, stopping CPAP therapy while you're sick with bronchitis seems like the opposite of what you should be doing.

I second the suggestion by PaleRider that you use a disinfectant. I use and am happy with Control 3.

Having said all this, my suggestions are based on my (many) experiences with bronchitis and CPAP (pretty much every fall/winter) and the things I have read from others. YMMV, but I would personally question any doctor that told me not to use my respiratory assistive device while in respiratory distress.

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:15 pm

KatyDidAgain wrote:Hi, so I have frequent bronchitis due to lung damage. Bronchitis is an inflammatory reaction to excessive coughing which irritates the airways. The very best thing you can do to improve bronchitis is to stop the coughing in any way possible. Antibiotics will help if the underlying cause is bacterial. Antibiotics are helpful for preventing secondary bacterial infection if the cause is viral. But you can go on for weeks with lingering coughing after the virus/bacterial infection has been eliminated if you don't treat the cough. This is one of those instances where treating the symptoms is imperative.

So, having abundant experience with CPAP during bouts of bronchitis, this is what I do:

One, take a cough suppressant. An expectorant may help as well since your lung tissue will produce excess fluid in response to irritation, but the suppressant is the most important. Your alveoli will not heal if they're still being irritated by coughing.

Two, unless you have asthma or are prone to illness when humidity is high (as Julie pointed out), get as much humidity as you can while you have bronchitis. The extra moisture will help break up the mucus in your lungs and make coughing more productive and less irritative. I 'supplement' the humidity my machine produces by using a heated humidifier near my machine. As long as you aren't steaming right into the air intake, it will not harm your machine to suck in slightly more humid air. I sit in the shower when I'm sick with anything respiratory related to get in as much steam as I can. This will help inflamed lung tissue. (Incidentally, steam helps a number of coughing related lung issues, and is exceptionally helpful for croup.)

While I would also never suggest you go against your doctor's orders, I personally question his suggestion that you discontinue CPAP while you are sick. If you are treated in the hospital for bronchitis or pneumonia and it is serious, you will likely be treated with CPAP or Bipap to help keep your oxygen levels up while your lungs recuperate. So, stopping CPAP therapy while you're sick with bronchitis seems like the opposite of what you should be doing.

I second the suggestion by PaleRider that you use a disinfectant. I use and am happy with Control 3.

Having said all this, my suggestions are based on my (many) experiences with bronchitis and CPAP (pretty much every fall/winter) and the things I have read from others. YMMV, but I would personally question any doctor that told me not to use my respiratory assistive device while in respiratory distress.
Dear Katydidagain, I want to give you a BIG THANK YOU for telling me about the coughing, I for some reason was under the impression that the coughing was bringing crap up that was causing the bronchitis so I wasn't using a cough medicine. Since reading your post last night I started using the cough medicine and I used my CPAP with the humidity. I feel 100% better today for the first time in TWO MONTHS!!! I can't tell you what a relief it is, I was so exhausted from lack of sleep and coughing my fool head off along with the lack of oxygen, I thought this was going to do me in. I see some light at the end of the tunnel now. God Bless each and everyone of you wonderful people on here who take the time to help someone who needs it. I love you guys.

johncooke

Post by johncooke » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Logies101 wrote:First i want to say that I am not someone who wants to stop CPAP. I know how I felt before I started three months ago and how I felt after using it. The difference was like night and day. I wasn't waking up with headaches anymore, I could go through the day without taking naps, I wasn't miserable anymore. Then I got stick. I started coughing, a dry cough then a cough with mucus and shortness of breath. The coughing and mucus won't stop, neither will the shortness of breath. Dr says it's bronchitis and to stop the CPAP to see if it goes away.

This is my third night without using it. I'm not only concerned that medicare will take the machine away because I'm not using it but I'm afraid that i'm not going to wake up in the morning. I sleep sitting up, with my oral device, a breathe rite strip and a neck collar. I'm not getting much sleep and I'm starting to get depressed. The bronchitis isn't getting any better and I have no idea how long it's going to take. They have me on my second round of antibiotics, nebulizer with albuterol, prednisone. I'm using methol cough drops like crazy. I've never had any thing like this before and I'm not even sure it's what they say it is, sigh

I need your input, has anyone had bronchitis and had to stop their cpap and how long did it take to get better? I've met my 90 day initial trial of cpap for Medicare but I'm not sure how they determine compliance after that period of time. I know I don't own the machine for about 13 months or so. I need some encouragement or advice please.
To answer the question about getting sick and stopping CPAP, you may need to check your water to make sure using only distilled and changing daily, also the humidifier definitely helps with dry throat but not sure if it will heal bronchitis as it will be soothing but its a virus or mold that might be causing it. There also is a problem that many don't figure out is that the machine can get mildew in where the machine attaches to the hose and the moisture can travel back into the CPAP causing molding and mildew issues and people get problems like what your talking about. Even if you clean your hoses every night you could still be leaving the main hose from the cpap hooked up all the time and this is where mold can build up and then you breathe it in.

I just wanted to add that you have hit the nail on the head as to the side effects of CPAP machine, They are amazing for getting those first few nights of sleep but for the long term they should be discontinued and by that I mean getting body to a much healthier state and taking in the proper minerals to balance your body so that it stops dis-functioning. The problem with sleep apnea is many people and doctors believe that their is nothing they can do beyond CPAP except for surgery. Their is many things that you can do and should do to get health back in order. The main thing is cutting certain foods that the body is looking at as poison that it is constantly detoxing.

When you have sleep apnea you have two options to go to a doctor or try to change your life and start finding natural ways to get your body back into shape as sleep apnea is the body's warning sign for help and by just using things that get rid of symptoms will only enable the problem to continue and to stay the same. For example CPAP is just forcing air in the throat and covering up the body's symptoms of sleep apnea. The problem is that when the bodys symptoms are covered up your not realizing that the body is not really healing only keeping symptoms at bay. When you wear a CPAP for a long time you have to get another sleep study done as it can stop working as effective as the machine will make the throat weaker. The goal while on CPAP is to start fueling your body with live natural foods as well as first cutting high allergy foods such as Gluten, Dairy, Corn and basically anything proceeded and not in original organic form. Also eating less at a time as well as using herbs such as marjoram can help. Taking the proper and correct minerals is a big deal and getting out in the sun and exercising as well as strengthening your breathing with Qi Gong.

Eating standard american food pyramid diet and not changing lifestyle and just relying on CPAP will just lead to more dysfunction. But just wanted to throw it out there that if you can't afford or don't want to get a polysomnograph test or (sleep study) then this is a way to find out for yourself. Also it is good to continue to do this type of sleep video monitoring all the time to find what (triggers, activities or foods) caused a "bad nights sleep full of apneas" and also what (triggers, activities or foods) encouraged and "helped good a nights sleep with significantly less apneas." By learning this simple little trick you can heal yourself just like anything else as before it was hard to heal as it happened when you where unconscious. Now when you monitor yourself you can be much more aware at what activities sleep pattern or foods before bed are bad and causing sleep apnea to occur.

If you sleep without your CPAP try also doing a test, You can start filming yourself at night and do this a few nights in a row and note what you ate throughout the day and how late you ate it before bed. Then document everything in a journal.

If you can have your dog sleep with you (Sometimes they will wake you up when your not breathing so you can at least not be suffocating for long periods) or have a bed partner try to monitor you one night as they stay awake. You will start to see some patterns and see the impact of what you ate and then see how poorly you slept. The only way to really get better is by focusing on total body detoxification and balancing and healing deficiencies. The more internal work you do and the more your body is healed the faster sleep apnea will just disappear on its own as your body is capable of healing itself but we get in our own way by eating the way we do.

I hope this can help you track down the part of your machine that possibly has mold or mildew and get that at least taken care of so you can start getting good sleep and then having the energy to start changing your life and balancing your body to heal the root of sleep apnea and not just cover up the symptoms.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Interesting way to try and sell your book.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760