Celexa and AHI (Centrals)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bavinck

Celexa and AHI (Centrals)

Post by bavinck » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:34 pm

I have recently (3-4 weeks) started a treatment of daily 20mg Celexa. I have noticed over the same time period that my typical daily AHI has gone from about 1-1.5 pre-Celexa (mostly obstructions) to typically 2-3 post-Celexa (obstructions the same, but more centrals now) since starting the medication. My GP told me I should likely experience better sleep with the Celexa, I cannot confirm this either way. However, I feel like there must be a connection between my increase in centrals and the Celexa. Anyone know of such a connection?

I am not sleepy during the day at all, I don't think this is negatively affecting my treatment yet. Just thought I would ask. Thanks:)
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

Pugsy

Re: Celexa and AHI (Centrals)

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Actually while Celexa comes with a "may cause drowsiness" sticker it also can mess with sleep architecture a bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citalopram
It's also been known to cause insomnia. Pretty much all those meds in the SSRI classification can mess with sleep architecture a bit...cause some minor arousals (and for some major arousals) in sleep and with those arousals there's always the possibility of a post arousal going back to sleep ..sleep onset central...which may be what you are seeing. It's impossible to know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me any to see a small increase in centrals if that is what is happening.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as your sleep quality doesn't suffer and you feel that you are sleeping well and continue to be well rested. That small of an increase is clinically insignificant unless associated with problems.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bavinck

Re: Celexa and AHI (Centrals)

Post by bavinck » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, Pugsy. It did not occur to me that the SSRI might be causing an increase in arousals which would then lead to sleep onsets, which I know I am a bit prone to for whatever reason.
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3