To Todzo - No Link Between Vit D + Cognition/Brain Pathology

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

To Todzo - No Link Between Vit D + Cognition/Brain Pathology

Post by Julie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:26 pm

From Medscape today -

Enthusiasm for taking vitamin D to promote brain health has taken a knock after 2 studies in the same population have found no association between vitamin D levels and cognition or cerebrovascular pathology.

The studies were both conducted in an older middle-aged healthy population who were participating in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Brain MRI Study.

The cognition study, published online in the European Journal of Neurology on May 21, did not find significant associations between lower levels of 25(OH)D and lower cognitive test scores at baseline, change in scores over time, or dementia risk in 1650 individuals.

The MRI study, published online in JAMA Neurology on May 26, included 1622 individuals from the same population who underwent baseline brain MRI, 888 of whom had a second brain MRI examination 10 years later. Results showed that 25(OH)D levels were not associated with white matter hyperintensities or prevalent subclinical infarcts in cross-sectional or prospective analyses.

"Our results dampen the enthusiasm for vitamin D being a panacea for brain health. We are urging caution before everyone gets carried away with taking vitamin D, and we cannot recommend at this time that people take it to protect against cognitive decline," Erin Michos, MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, who was an author on both studies, commented to Medscape Medical News.

"It is not completely benign," she added. "It can cause side effects at high doses. It is not a good idea to take supplements if you don't need to."

Cause of Disease or Just a Marker?

She explained that low levels of vitamin D are believed by many to be a potential risk factor for cardiovascular and brain disease. Previous studies have shown associations between low levels of vitamin D and hypertension, diabetes, myocardial infarction, and stroke.

"If this is proved to be causal then vitamin D levels could be modified quite easily and the cause could be treated, but we don't know if it is causal or not," she added. "Although low vitamin D has been associated with poor outcomes, it may just be a marker of poor health. People in poor health are likely to spend less time outside so will consequently have lower levels of vitamin D. Our results provide some caution for the idea that vitamin D may be good for brain health because we couldn't even find an association."

Because low vitamin D has been associated hypertension and diabetes, which in turn have been associated with white matter hyperintensities and cognitive impairment, she noted, their hypothesis was that low levels of vitamin D would be associated with white matter hyperintensities, silent strokes, and cognitive impairment. "But we didn't find any relationship between vitamin D levels and any of these outcomes in any of our analyses."

Dr. Michos noted that there have been several studies on low vitamin D and cognition, many of which have shown a positive association.

"We could only find one other study that looked at brain pathology and that was positive, but it was cross-sectional — it just looked at vitamin D and brain pathology at one time point — and included an older population than our study. We did a cross-sectional analysis, but we also looked at changes over time and found no association in either analysis."

She also pointed out that the current studies included a younger and healthier population (average age, 62 years) than has been included in previous studies. "Maybe that is why we didn't find an association. It might be that elderly people have lower levels of vitamin D as they get less sunlight."

She added that before any clinical recommendations can be made, trials need to show reduced outcomes with vitamin D treatment. Some such studies are now underway. One is the National Institutes of Health–sponsored VITAL study looking at the incidence of stroke and myocardial infarction in older individuals randomly assigned to 2000 IU of vitamin D or placebo.

Eur J Neurol. Published online May 21, 2014. Abstract

JAMA Neurol. Published online May 26, 2014. Abstract

ems

Re: To Todzo - No Link Between Vit D + Cognition/Brain Pathology

Post by ems » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Had a feeling something like this would come along - not even a little surprised.

Thanks for posting.

By next week we will have to stop drinking even one cuppa coffee!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

bavinck

Post by bavinck » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Great read.
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:22 am

Thanks for posting this Julie.

I wish when information like this is posted, that access to the full study would be provided so it could be evaluated more fairly. Obviously, I have no proof this happened here but many times, the abstracts do not accurately reflect what the study said.

I guess I am a middle of the roader regarding vitamin D. I have never seen it as a miracle supplement but based on my own anecdotal experience, I do feel I am better off taking 3000IU vs. not taking anything.

And I did experience adverse affects from taking too much when a mysterious jaw pain appeared when I upped it to 5000IU and then lowered back down. A dentist did not find any problems that would explain my issues.

49er

Julie wrote:From Medscape today -

Enthusiasm for taking vitamin D to promote brain health has taken a knock after 2 studies in the same population have found no association between vitamin D levels and cognition or cerebrovascular pathology.

The studies were both conducted in an older middle-aged healthy population who were participating in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Brain MRI Study.

The cognition study, published online in the European Journal of Neurology on May 21, did not find significant associations between lower levels of 25(OH)D and lower cognitive test scores at baseline, change in scores over time, or dementia risk in 1650 individuals.

The MRI study, published online in JAMA Neurology on May 26, included 1622 individuals from the same population who underwent baseline brain MRI, 888 of whom had a second brain MRI examination 10 years later. Results showed that 25(OH)D levels were not associated with white matter hyperintensities or prevalent subclinical infarcts in cross-sectional or prospective analyses.

"Our results dampen the enthusiasm for vitamin D being a panacea for brain health. We are urging caution before everyone gets carried away with taking vitamin D, and we cannot recommend at this time that people take it to protect against cognitive decline," Erin Michos, MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, who was an author on both studies, commented to Medscape Medical News.

"It is not completely benign," she added. "It can cause side effects at high doses. It is not a good idea to take supplements if you don't need to."

Cause of Disease or Just a Marker?

She explained that low levels of vitamin D are believed by many to be a potential risk factor for cardiovascular and brain disease. Previous studies have shown associations between low levels of vitamin D and hypertension, diabetes, myocardial infarction, and stroke.

"If this is proved to be causal then vitamin D levels could be modified quite easily and the cause could be treated, but we don't know if it is causal or not," she added. "Although low vitamin D has been associated with poor outcomes, it may just be a marker of poor health. People in poor health are likely to spend less time outside so will consequently have lower levels of vitamin D. Our results provide some caution for the idea that vitamin D may be good for brain health because we couldn't even find an association."

Because low vitamin D has been associated hypertension and diabetes, which in turn have been associated with white matter hyperintensities and cognitive impairment, she noted, their hypothesis was that low levels of vitamin D would be associated with white matter hyperintensities, silent strokes, and cognitive impairment. "But we didn't find any relationship between vitamin D levels and any of these outcomes in any of our analyses."

Dr. Michos noted that there have been several studies on low vitamin D and cognition, many of which have shown a positive association.

"We could only find one other study that looked at brain pathology and that was positive, but it was cross-sectional — it just looked at vitamin D and brain pathology at one time point — and included an older population than our study. We did a cross-sectional analysis, but we also looked at changes over time and found no association in either analysis."

She also pointed out that the current studies included a younger and healthier population (average age, 62 years) than has been included in previous studies. "Maybe that is why we didn't find an association. It might be that elderly people have lower levels of vitamin D as they get less sunlight."

She added that before any clinical recommendations can be made, trials need to show reduced outcomes with vitamin D treatment. Some such studies are now underway. One is the National Institutes of Health–sponsored VITAL study looking at the incidence of stroke and myocardial infarction in older individuals randomly assigned to 2000 IU of vitamin D or placebo.

Eur J Neurol. Published online May 21, 2014. Abstract

JAMA Neurol. Published online May 26, 2014. Abstract

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:15 am

Always happy to hear about new studies, especially comprehensive ones. Thanks Julie. Links would be nice tho I realized only medical professionals can access some of the papers.

I've noted that taking extra Vit D doesn't really do a lot for me over the last six months I've been taking it. I have had the blood tests and to get up to 50% of bloodstream saturation required taking more Vit D supplements that I was willing to take. I'm happy to be around 35%. I'm the same with a lot of vitamins and tend to use them somewhat conservatively. As a side note: has anybody taken Phosphorus supplements like SeriPhos (Phosphorylated Serine) or even some of the drug store brands. It is supposedly good for Adrenal gland support and lowering cortisol levels

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:56 am

I would suspect that eucapnic breathing, without professional monitoring,
might create a greater likelihood of brain damage--just saying!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:15 pm

I developed a hang nail on my right hand pinky finger from using too much Vitaim D. So I cut mine down to 5000 units.

Now I'll have to cut out coffee too, maybe being healthy isn't all its cracked up to be. We sork like dogs to raise our families and provide for a better retirement life, it wears our health down so when the time comes are bodies are so bad we can't enjoy retirement.

Maybe the irresponsible people running our country have it right, let the government run and control your lives, coast along doing the least you can, let others foolish enough work to pay your way.

Maybe these ideas will work, but we are already there folks, our answer is to borrow our way out of debt, printing more and more worthless money, causing real inflation, not the bogus numbers the government is feeding you.

Maybe the answer is to ride the wave, until you hit the pier and drown, it seems we no longer have the moral fortitude to swim. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

OhHelpMe

Post by OhHelpMe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:56 pm

^ Hey Dude Goofproof, I like your posts. A refreshing breath of air for a stultifying CPAP forum.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks, guys, any old excuse to rant about politics!
Well, we already know how you feel, (some agree and some disagree.)
At any rate it's such fun to take cheap shots at people who don't have the resources you do.
The mirror is tarnished, but no one notices, because no one looks.

OhHelpMe

Post by OhHelpMe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:08 pm

chunkyfrog wrote: At any rate it's such fun to take cheap shots at people who don't have the resources you do.
Your imagination is working well today Chunkyfrog. There is nothing in those posts "taking cheap shots at people who don't have the resources you do".

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Not being college edcutated, you won't find me at Starbucks sucking down 6 buck coffee, I worry about paying A hundred dollars for 12 oz of Folgers Instant Coffee, due to inflation. Jim

Maybe with food stamps I could afford thd coffee.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

bavinck

Post by bavinck » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:22 pm

The good news is a regular cup of coffee at Starbucks will only set you back about $2;)
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:15 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Always happy to hear about new studies, especially comprehensive ones. Thanks Julie. Links would be nice tho I realized only medical professionals can access some of the papers.

I've noted that taking extra Vit D doesn't really do a lot for me over the last six months I've been taking it. I have had the blood tests and to get up to 50% of bloodstream saturation required taking more Vit D supplements that I was willing to take. I'm happy to be around 35%. I'm the same with a lot of vitamins and tend to use them somewhat conservatively. As a side note: has anybody taken Phosphorus supplements like SeriPhos (Phosphorylated Serine) or even some of the drug store brands. It is supposedly good for Adrenal gland support and lowering cortisol levels
Hi SNO,

I haven't taken SeriPhos but I have taken phosphatidylserine off and on with mixed results. Yesterday, I took 100mg in the morning and miraculously felt so good cognitively that I felt safe driving and running a few errands.

Not sure why it worked so well. Maybe my attempt to greatly reduce carbs in my diet due to metabolic concerns? Hard to say. Didn't want to risk taking a 2nd dose for various reasons so when it finally wore off, my normal brain fog and fatigue returned. But I was safely at home just so people know.

All I can say is give it a try and see what happens. When I am not sure about a supplement, I will initially purchase mine at the local Whole Foods since they have a 30 day money back guarantee. More expensive initially but worth the piece of mind knowing I am not stuck with the product if it doesn't work.

49er

icipher

Post by icipher » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:15 am

To hell with any and all information on supplemental vitamins/minerals/herbs etc.

I am beyond annoyed with the cycle these products run.

Here's how it ALWAYS works.

1. tell people that said vitamin/mineral supplements will help alleviate or prevent said illness or condition. show studies that confirm this.
2. years later, tell people "gee, maybe these won't actually help. more studies needed."
3. years later. "actually folks, these supplements not only WON'T benefit you at all, they're probably actually bad for you."

Part of me thinks i should just eat the same way my 97 year old grandmother ate and hope that I make it to 80.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:29 am

icipher wrote:To hell with any and all information on supplemental vitamins/minerals/herbs etc.

I am beyond annoyed with the cycle these products run.

Here's how it ALWAYS works.

1. tell people that said vitamin/mineral supplements will help alleviate or prevent said illness or condition. show studies that confirm this.
2. years later, tell people "gee, maybe these won't actually help. more studies needed."
3. years later. "actually folks, these supplements not only WON'T benefit you at all, they're probably actually bad for you."

Part of me thinks i should just eat the same way my 97 year old grandmother ate and hope that I make it to 80.
I totally understand your frustration icipher.

By the way, how does your 97 year old grandmother eat? Curious minds want to know.

49er