Asthma & CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lavendel

Asthma & CPAP

Post by Lavendel » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:11 pm

I have been reading the board for awhile & was convinced that an auto CPAP with C-Flex was the way to go. I currently have a regular CPAP. I also have asthma. I then came across a post(s) where someone said that people with asthma should not use auto CPAP's. Does anyone have any more information on this & why it is dangerous to use an auto CPAP if you suffer from asthma? Or maybe head me in the right direction as to where I can get factual information on this?
Thank you.

-SWS

Asthma

Post by -SWS » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:41 pm

My understanding is that during asthma attacks there is an issue of carbon dioxide retention on ordinary CPAP. For this reason, severe asthmatics are often placed on BiLevel rather than CPAP.

There may also be an issue with asthmatic airflow restrictions actually fooling an AutoPAP's algorithm. An AutoPAP will typically try to elevate pressure in response to a non-asthmatic flow limitation. However, if that flow limitation is purely the result of asthmatic swelling, then elevated pressure is actually counterproductive.

-SWS

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:58 pm

Thank you for your reply SWS. I will probably remain with my regular CPAP as it seems to be working fine. I have noticed a few times when I need a stronger pressure, but until I know more about the risks of using an auto CPAP I will stick to my old one.

gailzee

Re: Asthma

Post by gailzee » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:13 pm

Trust me being an asthmatic and being in a full attack, there's no way you can wear any of these devices...reach for O2..............Has anyone on this board worn their masks and used their CPAP's with active asthma? I'd be curious. My PFT test showed NO ACTIVE ASTHMA, leaving me feeling someone like a volcano, if an when I ever have an active attack.....

Any ideas? Comments?
Especially since I have ordered the 420E, and from other posters, I note that an auto pap for ''asthmatics'' is not a great idea......? huh?
Thxs
-SWS wrote:My understanding is that during asthma attacks there is an issue of carbon dioxide retention on ordinary CPAP. For this reason, severe asthmatics are often placed on BiLevel rather than CPAP.

There may also be an issue with asthmatic airflow restrictions actually fooling an AutoPAP's algorithm. An AutoPAP will typically try to elevate pressure in response to a non-asthmatic flow limitation. However, if that flow limitation is purely the result of asthmatic swelling, then elevated pressure is actually counterproductive.

-SWS

-SWS

Asthma

Post by -SWS » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:24 pm

Gailzee, you might just fare better on that 420e than with CPAP. However, if you find that lesser asthmatic swelling/restriction tends to make your 420e pressure run away, I would suggest experimentally turning IFL1 off.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if the lower mean pressure achieved by AutoPAP didn't help your situation compared to straight CPAP. Whether your asthmatic flow limitations fool the 420e's algorithm into over-triggering remains to be seen. My hunch is you'll do just fine!

snoozin'

Post by snoozin' » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:50 am

I have asthma and have been on CPAP for about 1-1/2 years. I've been using a regular CPAP, but just ordered an auto. I've spent the last year and a half talking with doctors, nurses, and Respiratory Therapists, and reading everything I could find on line and written about asthma and autopaps. There is SOME concern about too high a pressure pushing an asthmatic into an attack. A sudden increase in pressure, as an autpap wide open might deliver, sometimes seems to cause Central Apnea, leading to asthma attacks, in some patients. Doesn't bother everyone, only some. Also, a mild increase doesn't seem to affect asthmatics. After spending the time doing the research, I have ordered my autopap. My current CPAP is set at 16, so my auto will be set at a top of 16 or 17, with a bottom range of 10 or 12. Since I've been tolerating the 16 just fine, and it isn't that big a range, I expect to do just fine on the autopap. Do realize that you might want to keep the range fairly narrow and the top number your titrated pressure or only slightly higher. Also, an autopap that can be run in straight CPAP mode, in case you have a problem tolerating the pressure changes, would be best. Hope this helps
Debbie

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:58 pm

I'm a little confused. Obviously you couldn't wear the CPAP mask if you were having an asthma attack, but what do you mean by active asthma gailzee? I have asthma, it's with me every day. You don't get rid of asthma, you manage it, so I consider it "active". If I don't use my meds, I have an attack. I am on medication for it at least four times a day & I do have frequent attacks. So far I haven't had any while on my CPAP machine although I'm wheezing by the time I wake up.
I don't understand the technical "medical" talk, but would like to know in laymans terms the pros & cons for using an auto pap when you suffer with asthma.

charlesroland

Re: Asthma & CPAP

Post by charlesroland » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:09 pm

CPAP are not so much effective during asthma attack. Most of the folks use Cpap for other breathing problem. Asthma attack is a serious breathing problem that can not be prevented by cpap. So its better to reduce asthma by using simple natural remedies. I suggest to folks who are suffering from asthma, take chamomile tea for curing the asthma. Try to take fruits and vegetables in diet for preventing the asthma attack.
Last edited by charlesroland on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:25 pm

I have had asthma for more than 30 years. It is well controlled taking Symbacort400. One puff morning and another at night. I dont have attacks because it is well controlled. I have been using a Resmed S9 Vpap Adapt for several months now and have not had any problems with my asthma. I was hoping my asthma might improve with the machine but so far no reason to think so. I guess the only way to really know would be to reduce my medication and wait to see what happens.I started to do that and then went back when I felt a little off.

Mimmie

Post by Mimmie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:06 am

I have had asthma for 30 years and COPD for 10. I have been on Cpap for almost 5 years. I have had my new machine for almost 1 year. Honestly, it helps me. When I am having problems, tightness and shortness of breath with my breathing, it makes it easier for me and SOMETIMES I can bypass using medications. I have an updraft machine too because of frequent attacks. I can go right from doing an updraft treatment to putting on the mask and going right to sleep. My doctors do not seem to think that it causes any problems for me and really, who could put a mask on during an attack? I certainly couldn't. I HAVE to use my updraft. Inhalers do nothing for me other than getting me to my updraft machine.

TheTwinsMom1

Post by TheTwinsMom1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:04 pm

I have asthma, except, I have the coughing one. I don't have attacks persay, but coughing fits and wheezing. My asthma has actually improved on my APAP in the last year and has allowed me to wean off several medications.
APAP Pressure of 12-20, EPR of 3, CMS-50F Oximeter, PapCap, and Regenesis Pillow. 200mg Provigil in the AM. Also diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:29 pm

My HMO (Kaiser) usually gives everyone a straight CPAP, but if (like me) you have a diagnosis of asthma they automatically give you an APAP. Some people need a BiPAP, depending on how they are doing with their asthma.

Kaiser titrates wide open on a APAP, even if you have asthma. Obviously, it's not that dangerous for most asthmatics, or they would not do it this way. I have an APAP which now has a carefully titrated range, and I do just fine with it. I've even turned off the flex--I no longer need it. My asthma has been very much improved on APAP--breathing clean, filtered and humidified air all night has been really good for me.

One day there was a grass fire in the area when I was out running errands. Smoke is my worst asthma trigger, and I'd left my fast acting inhaler at home (I know!). I started to wheeze and feel awful. So I rushed home to use my inhaler, and then I decided to put on my CPAP. I actually fell asleep and by the time I woke the smoke had cleared and I felt fine. I have a feeling that if I'd continued to breathe the smokey air for another 1/2 hour or so, even with my fast acting inhaler, I'd have been in some trouble--it's taken a lot less than that to trigger bad bouts of asthmatic bronchitis--but this time I was just fine. All I can say is G-d bless the APAP!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm