CPAP machine "serviced", not replaced

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Revived1

CPAP machine "serviced", not replaced

Post by Revived1 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:01 am

Hi All.
I received a message on my phone today to say that my machine is "back from service", and that I can pick it up any time...which I guess I will do tomorrow.
Some of you might remember that this was the one that was wheezing like a %&$@# from the second day I had it. Unfortunately, I didn't take it back to the dealer for a couple of weeks, but did tell them that it had started in the first couple of days after I bought it. They rang Resmed, and Resmed said to send it to them to be checked. This was done, and now it's back...for me to pick up, and not being replaced. I have a recording on my phone of the noise that started on the second morning, so I have proof that it was faulty right from the start. (The noise may have even started on the first morning...just that I noticed it on the second morning.).
Anyway, what do others think I should do? I guess there's no harm in picking it up and seeing how it goes. Then, if I have problems again, I will be in a better position to ask for a replacement, I guess. I DO think they should have replaced it straight off, but since they haven't, I suppose it will be okay to get it back and see how it goes. I'm just a bit worried about using something that is probably fundamentally faulty.
Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Thank you.

Julie

Re: CPAP machine "serviced", not replaced

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:05 am

If everything in life was replaced immediately when we had a problem, business would be a lot different (if it survived at all). Why not see how the machine does now before deciding it should have been replaced (new or not)? What was wrong could have been an 'honest' small glitch that may be just fine now... at least give it a try.

That kind of thinking is what's wrong with landfills etc, and is killing the planet.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:46 am

Have you read the Warranty? Repair or Replace
This limited warranty is only available to the initial consumer. It is not transferable. If the product fails under conditions of normal use, ResMed will repair or replace, at its option, the defective product or any of its components.

mastaCpappy

Post by mastaCpappy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:19 am

that's what a warranty is...
when my ford transmission started sticking, it was under warranty, i took it in and they fixed the transmission, didn't replace the entire car.
What's the problem?

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:31 am

Online retailers like Amazon, and some retail locations like Costco, have pre-conditioned us to expect to be able to exchange faulty items ... but don't imagine that comes for free. If a manufacturer had to always replace an item it would end up baked in to the price.

Further, if you take, for instance, a phone in for warranty exchange you will almost definitely get a 'refurb' model, which is a phone someone else brought in and has since been repaired.

There's nothing wrong with the manufacturer standing up and repairing whatever was wrong. That most likely means they found a troubling part (maybe the blower in this case) and replaced it as a module. I suppose it could mean they found something in the airway that was loose and tightened it ... but either way as long as your machine now works as it should they have met their requirement.

Best of luck!!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:33 am

mastaCpappy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:19 am
that's what a warranty is...
when my ford transmission started sticking, it was under warranty, i took it in and they fixed the transmission, didn't replace the entire car.
What's the problem?
Whiny entitled customers, that's what the problem is.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 am

yeah, got to check in with the rest. dunno what the rules are in australia so maybe you have a legitimate beef.

i used to work for sony america in one of their repair facilities in seattle. (as admin, not tech!) the attitude on units brought in under full warranty was "is it cheaper for sony to repair or replace?" and so decisions were made on that basis along with other considerations.

when sony first got into the cell phone business, they quickly saw they were in over their heads. and so there was just a policy of replacing them under full warranty.

this was a LONG time ago, before sony got it together enough to have some presence in that market.

so yeah, i see nothing wrong with replacement. as you say, you'll be better set if this one fails to demand a replacement.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:11 pm

I wouldn't complain until I checked out the machine. If they replaced a noisy fan, then the problem is fixed. You only used it a few days, so why did you expect it to be replaced. When my first unit would not send data to ResMed, my DME replaced it with a new unit. When this one dies six months later, my DME replaced it immediately with a refurbished unit they had on hand and sent mine in for repair. This machine has been doing just fine for 4 and a half years. As long as I got a serviceable unit, I didn't care what it was.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:50 pm

When a device is designed to be repairable, odds are, it's better built.
I'm happy cpaps are not intended to be disposable.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:40 pm

I think you should see if the problem is fixed. If it's not fixed, then you may have an argument for replacement, but at this point you don't know if it's fixed or not.

My state law on warranties is that manufacturers get three tries to fix something before the law mandates a replacement. A lot of companies replace because it's cheaper than repair, but that's their choice, not the rule.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:50 pm
When a device is designed to be repairable, odds are, it's better built.
I'm happy cpaps are not intended to be disposable.
One small downside, if your NEW Xpap (UNDER 3 MONTHS), and it fails it will be replaced with a repaired unit, instead of your new one, you might have paid for. That would not make me a happy camper.

Idea! :idea: Maybe XPAPS could come with a warning, "XPAP may come with a motor and a fan that moves air, this may make noise that can be heard. Also when attached to a living person breathing sounds may be heard." :roll: Jim

'
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I had a quick look in here before I went down the street, this morning. Since no-one had any advice or warnings to the contrary, I picked the machine up. Turns out they replaced the machine, but just put my original shell over the new machine....which is great, because it means I don't need to go through the rigmarole of registering it for warranty again, etc.!

I'd never had any reason to believe that CPAP machines are regularly 'fixed'. I hear a lot more about them being replaced rather than fixed. After having picked mine up, I'm still of that opinion. I wouldn't trust any manufacturer that would sell anything with a major fault and then not replace it. If I'm paying new price, I expect items to work. There are others who expect less, but I find that having (what I would consider to be) reasonable expectations, works for me. Luckily, we're all different!
Thanks again.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 am

Things can work just as well if they are fixed properly rather than being replaced.
Last edited by Julie on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 am

Whine, whine, whine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:59 am

Julie wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 am
Things can 'work' just as well if they are fixed properly rather than being replaced.
this makes me think again of my experience at sony. had a customer in one time who said-

"HA! you guys don't fix anything. you just replace parts!"

in my mind, i was like-
openmouth.jpg
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg