Pulse Oximeter and the Virus

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mars

Pulse Oximeter and the Virus

Post by mars » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:04 pm

This may be of use -

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases ... imetry.pdf

At our age - that is many of us older ones - we need as much early warning of possible infection as we can get.

I have experienced a highly infectious disease called Tuberculosis, and spent nearly 3 months in hospital (1976) recovering. Amazingly, in the 6 months prior to hospitalisation, whilst coughing up blood and phlegm all day (using many many tissues and handkerchiefs), I never infected anyone. However, I do believe that this current virus is more virulent than Tuberculosis.

Today I work on the premise that I can only be reasonably certain I did not have the virus 2 weeks ago. For today, although I have no signs, I may be asymptomatic and infectious. So I take care not to potentially infect anyone else.

I have also made arrangements for my cats to be looked after should I have to leave home suddenly, temporarily or permanently.

Stay safe

cheers :D

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Pulse Oximeter and the Virus

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:50 am

Best wishes, Mars.
Stay well.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:00 pm

Taking care of the cats is good, having TB not so much.
Last edited by Julie on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Hey there Mars. Good to see you are still alive and kicking. Take care of yourself.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mars

Post by mars » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:51 pm

My thanks to Chunkyfrog, Julie and Pugsy for their kind remarks. My active time on the forum was always interesting, and there was such an variety of information and opinion that is was never boring. Not to mention the disagreements that regularly took place :)

It occurred to me that other members of the Forum may be living in similar conditions to myself - ie living alone with pets, with no immediate family. So I want to share a helpful system that that I now belong to, run by the Australian Red Cross.

They have a number of volunteers who telephone registered people like myself every morning between 8am and 9am to see if we are still alive, and capable of answering the phone. It is certainly nice to start the day having a pleasant exchange with a volunteer, mainly women. If the phone is not answered, then they call again after 10 minutes, and again after 10 minutes if still not answered. They then let the Supervisor know, who has a list of 3 contacts (my neighbours) who can enter my place and see if I am alright. Being that there are 3 contacts all together, it is likely that at least one of them will be home.

If I am alive but disabled in some way, the contact will phone for medical help, and also phone my cat person contact, who will come over and pick up my cats. They will be looked after on a temporary basis if I am expected to return home sometime. If I am dead, then they will come over and pick up all my cat stuff (currently includes a lot of food to last out the pandemic) and look after them until a suitable home is found. Bonnie is currently 18 years old, and Cheeky 5 years old.

I had been looking for something like this regular phone call for years, and had been relying on a daily email to a friend. When that was no longer viable I came across the Red Cross help. So I mention all this just in case there are others in a similar position, who may have that kind of help out there.

AS for the virus - I am reminded of the main thing I learned, and practiced, when I first went to Alcoholics Anonymous in 1974 - half measures availed us nothing !

Take care everyone

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi Mars. Thanks for the article about the pulse ox. Need to pull mine back out. That program by the Red Cross sounds amazing. Going to check and see if there's anything like it here. Good to see you around and hope we all stay well.
Kathy

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:08 pm

The Red Cross here does a similar phone thing, but a one line e-mail between my bro. and I first thing also works great (cat info included), and has been going daily for years even if we're almost 1,000 km apart. Everyone should have something like it to count on.
Last edited by Julie on Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:14 am

Hi mars! Great to see you post. Thanks for sharing all this information. Glad you have plans in place for all this.

Stay safe and healthy.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Thank you for your posts, sir.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:34 am

Late to post here.

There is a town that has 'Seniors' call in each morning (non-emergency line) between certain hours. If they don't hear from someone they will call them or send patrol out for a well-being check.
A Local hospital that has forms you can fill out with personal info ie. med list, docs, family contacts, etc. provided with a (magnetic) plastic envelope which can be placed on the fridge EMS to grab in case of emergency. Also you can keep it in the fridge or freezer which will keep it in case of fire. Think cold cash. Also worth mentioning to have a will and a living will in the fridge or freezer posting a note on the outside there are documents inside maybe a picture of the container or at least a written description of it and the location. Most hospitals today ask if you have a "Living Will" on file with them, always a good idea in case you are unable to speak.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?