Ending up with the right mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Josiah

Ending up with the right mask

Post by Josiah » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm

Ending up with the right mask is easier said than done. I think I read a post recently where the author said he/she discarded 14 masks before settling on one that was satisfactory. As a newbie yet to don my first mask, I would be curious in hearing the answers to two questions from you experienced cpapers

1. How many masks did you try before finding one you were comfortable with?

2. How many nights do you need to wear a mask before you're certain a mask is right for you?
Josiah

Pugsy

Re: Ending up with the right mask

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:27 pm

The answer is 1 to both questions.

I did a lot of research first and then decided on a mask and I got lucky in that it worked well for me at the time.
I evaluated my own personal needs, wants and preferences though and didn't rely on what someone else said "I should do fine with".

Now over the years I have tried many other masks just to be trying things and my primary mask of choice has changed as new masks have been released...I have yet to find a mask that I would say is 100% perfect and meets all of my preferences and needs.

As far as how quickly can I tell if I am not going to like a mask. I made it 90 minutes of sleep with one mask experiment. It was the longest 90 minutes of my life.
I took that mask off and put my primary mask back on and never tried that failed mask again. I had no desire to and no need to for that matter.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:41 pm

My answer is also 1 and 1. I started with a nasal mask and after a few months switched to my current Quattro because I was exhaling through my mouth. I have tried other masks over the years, but only for a night or two. 9 years with the Quattro.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:12 pm

My answer is also 1 ( or maybe 0 ) and 1 ( although I tried to put up with one for 3 nights and another was about an hour ).
I did lots of research before starting therapy and choosing my equipment. My first mask ( purchased from CPAP.COM and listed below in my profile ) is the one I've stuck with since I started in mid-May of 2005.

The only two masks in my inventory that I can actually (successfully) use are the UMFF and the Mirage Quattro.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:33 pm

My answer is seven masks and the time trying each varied from a week to a few hours. When you hate a mask, you'll know!

Ultimately Josiah, it is going to depend on your unique circumstances. I found nasal masks uncomfortable to use, plus I am a mouth breather during REM. So I switched to the full face mask AirFit F20, tried two other ffms trying to improve the fit and settled back on the AirFit F20. I have a narrow nose bridge and a slightly receding chin so the strap placement makes a big difference in the seal. And I have found that as my placement skills improved so did the seal on my face.

I would continue to read, ask questions, learn and watch the fit videos when you do choose a mask. But please don't be overly concerned with the number of tries. Your provider will probably have a grace period to try and exchange masks (mine was 90 days) and cpap.com provides free return insurance with masks (but be sure to order it.)

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:51 pm

MrsRinPDX wrote:My answer is seven masks and the time trying each varied from a week to a few hours. When you hate a mask, you'll know!

Ultimately Josiah, it is going to depend on your unique circumstances. I found nasal masks uncomfortable to use, plus I am a mouth breather during REM. So I switched to the full face mask AirFit F20, tried two other ffms trying to improve the fit and settled back on the AirFit F20. I have a narrow nose bridge and a slightly receding chin so the strap placement makes a big difference in the seal. And I have found that as my placement skills improved so did the seal on my face.

I would continue to read, ask questions, learn and watch the fit videos when you do choose a mask. But please don't be overly concerned with the number of tries. Your provider will probably have a grace period to try and exchange masks (mine was 90 days) and cpap.com provides free return insurance with masks (but be sure to order it.)

Free return insurance on selected masks. Insurance can be purchased for $15 on others.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 pm

I have tried 15 or 16 masks before I settled on the two I am using now. I used some of them for several days before rejecting them, and others were rejected within 1 hour of wear. My main mask is the Resmed F20 mask and the Amara View is my back up mask. I occasionally develop a small pimple right above my nose which the F20 irritates. When that happens, I switch to the Amara View for a few nights. I used the Amara View for several months as my primary mask before the F20 was released.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:52 pm

Josiah wrote:Ending up with the right mask is easier said than done. I think I read a post recently where the author said he/she discarded 14 masks before settling on one that was satisfactory. As a newbie yet to don my first mask, I would be curious in hearing the answers to two questions from you experienced cpapers

2. How many nights do you need to wear a mask before you're certain a mask is right for you?

1. the fourth mask i tried worked for me. don't be discouraged by the number of masks you may have to try. for all you know, you may be as lucky as pugsy or wulfman!

2. i used each of those masks for probably longer than i should have. but i wasn't sure if the mask was at fault or if it was ME who just couldn't get used to sleeping with the alien on my face.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 pm

Josiah wrote:Ending up with the right mask is easier said than done. I think I read a post recently where the author said he/she discarded 14 masks before settling on one that was satisfactory. As a newbie yet to don my first mask, I would be curious in hearing the answers to two questions from you experienced cpapers

Please remember every one is different.. what works for one person is horrible for the next. I went through about 6 different masks. You should know after a few nights if it is right.

What I would strongly recommend is that you consider a mask liner/gasket between your face and the mask. example is :
https://www.cpap.com/listing/Remzzzs?gc ... gJpF_D_BwE

I have high pressure and leaks were a horrible problem for me. With the liners the leak issue went away. In fact after I started using the liners with so much success I went back to the rejected masks and was able to use them with NO problem. I now use the Zzz-Mask Full Face CPAP Mask by Probasics. I like that it does not have the forehead support, and more then anything else I like the price $59(cpap.com). Compared the price to Resmed masks this mask is half price, and the replacement cushions are about half also. I am a cheap skate and I like getting off cheap.

Good Luck on your journey. I wish you restful success.

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

EdNerd

Post by EdNerd » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:04 pm

I first tried a mask that was like what my friend has -- the Amara View. At first I liked it, but then the little cut-out under my nose started irritating me. So I switched to a Resmed F10 ffm. That's now my current go-to mask, with a liner. Right now, though, my nose is stuffy, right at the upper part where the top of the mask rests. I also have a Resmed Mirage Liberty hybrid: covers the mouth and has pillows that fit into the nostrils. That mask feels great and I can breathe better, except it's irritating the insides of my nose.

The never-ending quest for the perfect mask. :8-)

Ed

Very helpful stuff:
"Taming the Mirage Quattro" http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:09 pm

My first mask was the right mask. To the extent that any mask is the right mask.

To a certain extent, I knew myself. I know I don't mouth breath, so I told the DME. She selected the N20 and fit it for me. It worked. It was a trial and when I bought my own, I asked for the small size headgear, because I felt the regular size was falling in the wrong place at the back of my head. Since them, I have added stuff, a homemade mask liner (old t-shirt), some fleece to soften the edges of the straps where they touch my face, and most recently, a fold-back clip to raise the mask higher on my head. My AHI has lowered nicely with this latest adjustment.

If we are willing to MacGyver our masks, it's easier.

I heard a lot of good stuff about pillows and tried two different ones, but they weren`t as successful. However, I am going back to one of them in the near future and plan on playing with it until either it works or it doesn`t.

Are you a mouth breather. if so, basically, you have two options ...... 1 full face mask, or 2 not a full face mask with some workarounds to keep your mouth shut and learning to breath through your nose.

If you go with a full face mask, I hear leaks are more of a problem. If you go with Option 2, that the problem is two fold, one the leaks of the mask itself, and two the effectiveness of the workarounds to keep your mouth shut.

Therein lies the complexity.

GordieK

Post by GordieK » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Some, usually larger, sleep clinics have a mask fitting clinic. Here experienced people will show you a variety of different masks and let you try them out in the office. They won't have all masks, but they will have a selection of the most popular ones. An office trial will help you quickly identify masks that won't work well for you. My insurance (Medicare PPO) paid for the mask clinic.
For many us getting the right mask is the hardest part of CPAP. I found the mask clinic very helpful.
Best wishes
GordieK

Josiah

Post by Josiah » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Bill44133 wrote:What I would strongly recommend is that you consider a mask liner/gasket between your face and the mask. example is :
https://www.cpap.com/listing/Remzzzs?gc ... gJpF_D_BwE
Sounds like very good advice, thanks
Josiah

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:33 pm

I have used mask liners in the past and made my own from old, well-used tee shirts. I found a pattern that works for most full face masks at the following site:
http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/diy-cotton-mask-liner.pdf This will work for small and medium cushions as it is, and be enlarged for large masks.

I also made my own liners for the Amara View mask. I simply placed the mask on a piece of paper and traced around it. Regardless of which of the liners I used, we laundered them the same way. My wife crocheted a small bag we placed them in and threw them in with the whites when doing the laundry, then ironed them dry which returned them to the correct shape and size. I used the same liners for months at a time. I have also made them out of paint rags I purchased at one of the large home improvement centers. I normally don't use a liner with my current mask, but still have the patterns if I ever decide I need them again.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 pm

1. Four so far. 1. P10 2. N20 (Didn't fit) 3.Eson2 (best one so far,but don't like the headgear over the nose and eyes) 4. Wisp.
2. 1 night to 1 week.