water resivoir tank problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mhsmith

water resivoir tank problems

Post by mhsmith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:58 pm

My water tank keeps fracturing. In just over one month I need a fifth tank.
I have not dropped any. I do not shove nor yank to remove or reinstall the tank.
I use room temp distilled water.
I wash it daily with only warm water and mild dish soap, no brushes, rinsing well.
I am just ready to give up.
Even with claustrophobia, I am adjusting to actually using the mask and machine, but the drip of water
startles me awake night after night.
I have taken the whole machine into my rep and local hospital, they say all is ok with the machine.
Everything is new.
Has anyone had this issue? What in the world did you do to correct it?

Bill44133

Re: water resivoir tank problems

Post by Bill44133 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:10 pm

is your machine sitting higher up then your bed?

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Bill44133 wrote:is your machine sitting higher up then your bed?
What would that have to do with the tank fracturing?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:44 pm

What machine/humidifier do you use? Full name and model #'s please. How old is it?

Are you SURE you're replacing it correctly (I ask because I had problems with mine at first)?

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Though I have never had and never even heard of that many tanks cracking in a little over one month, my guess based on just those few details is that you are having a thermal issue. Possibly your sleeping area is very cold and the plate in your heater is maxing out (around 180 degrees). The plastic and metal expand/contract and different rates and voila, you have a fracture.

If that is the case, I would recommend putting some form of insulation just around the humidifier part of your machine. This would hopefully prevent your heater plate from going full hot.

Good luck! Hope that helps!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:09 pm

mhsmith wrote:My water tank keeps fracturing. In just over one month I need a fifth tank.
I have not dropped any. I do not shove nor yank to remove or reinstall the tank.
I wash it daily with only warm water and mild dish soap, no brushes, rinsing well.
Even with claustrophobia, I am adjusting to actually using the mask and machine, but the drip of water
I have taken the whole machine into my rep and local hospital, they say all is ok with the machine.
Everything is new.
What is your evidence that the tanks are, in fact, "fracturing"?

In the past, some users have mistaken some of the "mold lines" in the plastic for cracks.

WHY do you wash it DAILY?
Do you use distilled water?

Den

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:30 pm

I am not the smartest person in the world but I have never understood washing a container with soap and tap water that holds only distilled water. The only air that contacts the water is filtered. I do get changing the filters.

mhsmith

Post by mhsmith » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 am

Thanks sleepwell
Our bedroom is cold. I insulate my hose, never thought to insulate the whole machine. It really could be the issue.
Makes sense.

Also, how much below my bed should it stand? My Bi PAP sits on a wooden table just below the top of the mattress.
The hose is going up to be on my face.

I am a newbee. Received my bi-PAP Nov 29, 2013. New in box. Wash daily. Fridays clean with white vinegar additionally to the mild dish soap.
Dry the outside and let air dry on a towel. The extra cold in our room is probably the issue...both my husband and I were raised before central heat and air
and keep the house temp at 65 in the winter, lower at night. Can't sleep in warm. We have had several bouts with snow so far and are in an ice storm now.

Thanks again for your input.
Where do I find the # of my machine type? The booklet with it says : BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One with System One Heated Humidifier. Philips respironics.

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:11 am

Show a picture of it and how it breaks.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:36 am

Very welcome, happy to be of help. I do hope that is the issue of course, only time will tell.

Sounds like the machine is placed perfectly, slightly below the top of the mattress. A little lower than you is the recommendation.

For the model number, carefully turn the machine over (taking out the water chamber first of course ) and look at the data plate on the bottom. Resp ASVs will probably have DS950HS printed there.
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:08 am

mhsmith wrote:My water tank keeps fracturing. In just over one month I need a fifth tank.
Everything is new.
Um what machine is it?

I've never heard of such a thing -- lexan is supposed to be virtually indestructible, hot or cold, and 'cracking' like this is uncommon to say the least.
I think perhaps this dripping you describe is coming from something else.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:53 pm

mhsmith wrote:Where do I find the # of my machine type? The booklet with it says : BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One with System One Heated Humidifier. Philips respironics.
It's going to be either model 950 but most likely 960.
It's on the bottom of the blower unit..3 digit number with maybe DS or REF in front of the number.

I have used several models of System One machines...my bedroom temps in the winter drop below 55 routinely. I have never had a tank crack.
And I always use the max heat and max humidity settings.

Position of machine relative to mattress...is not the problem or a solution.
Though it does sound like you have the machine slightly lower than the mattress and that's usually adequate. The lower than mattress suggestion is helpful when there is condensation in the hose..let's gravity help the condensation be less annoying...otherwise it isn't a big deal where you place the machine.

5 tanks in a month being broken...you are doing something somehow to cause it. Sorry but that is pretty much the only explanation.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:43 pm

mhsmith wrote:Thanks sleepwell
Our bedroom is cold. I insulate my hose, never thought to insulate the whole machine. It really could be the issue.
Makes sense.

Also, how much below my bed should it stand? My Bi PAP sits on a wooden table just below the top of the mattress.
The hose is going up to be on my face.

I am a newbee. Received my bi-PAP Oct. 29, 2013. New in box. Wash daily. Fridays clean with white vinegar additionally to the mild dish soap.
Dry the outside and let air dry on a towel. The extra cold in our room is probably the issue...both my husband and I were raised before central heat and air
and keep the house temp at 65 in the winter, lower at night. Can't sleep in warm. We have had several bouts with snow so far and are in an ice storm now.

Thanks again for your input.
Where do I find the # of my machine type? The booklet with it says : BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One with System One Heated Humidifier. Philips respironics.